Are you a fan of Boruto? This week, my roommate (Sarah) and I threw down over this show, competing to see who could make the best Boruto-themed burrito, a la Shokugeki no Soma or Iron Chef. Though we have very different opinions of this show, the results of our efforts were extremely tasty.
I am starting a new series, called "Shokugeki no Anime", where we'll choose an anime and compete to make a food that best represents that anime. At the end, it'll be up to you, the viewers, to vote and decide which recipe you think best represents the anime. There were several reasons behind this new series. Not all anime incorporates food that I can recreate, so I wanted to be able to make something for shows that I love, even if there's nothing actually in the show. Sometimes, as in this week, I'm struck with a bolt (Or boruto, haha, get it? Bo-ru-to? Bolt? No?) of inspiration and really, really want to try it out. In any case, this week's post is the first in this series, so make sure to tell me what you think in the comments!
We chose burritos as a common food theme because we think it's funny that Boruto sounds like burrito. However, Sarah and I chose two completely different approaches! I went for a more to-the-book burrito, putting Boruto's prized green chili burger into a burrito format. Sarah went for a burrito she felt represented the Naruto franchise as a whole, centered around her secret ingredient (surprise! It's naruto, the actual fish cake). You are definitely going to have to watch the video to judge for yourself how successully she incorporated that into her burrito.
Watch video below to see how we went about this challenge, and vote on your favorite burrito at the end! Full ingredients and recipes are listed below the video.
Ingredients for Green Chili Boruto Burrito:
Ingredients for Naruto Surprise Burrito:
To Make Green Chili Boruto Burrito:
1. Preheat oven to 500 F. Slice peppers in half and de-seed. The seeds are the spicy part- leave more in if you want it to be spicy! Take them all out if you don't want spice.
2. Place on a pan, skin side up, and roast in hot oven for ~8-10 minutes, or until skins are blistered and blackened.
3. Heat a pan on stove over medium high heat. Chop onions into bite sized pieces.
4. Brown onions in hot pan until translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Add in beef and break down. Allow to brown. When browned, stir in seasoning and water. Let cook.
5. Remove peppers from oven. Put in a bowl and place a lid over the top. Allow to sit ~5 minutes. When done cooling, remove and discard the skins.
6. Add chilies, cilantro, salt, pepper, and lime juice to a blender or food processor. Blitz until salsa-like, adding more lime juice as necessary for moisture.
7. Shred cabbage and break chips.
8. Place sliced/shredded cheese on tortilla. Microwave or heat in a low-heat pan, for a crispy exterior. When cheese is melted, add beef, then salsa, then cabbage, then chips. Wrap burrito.
To Make Naruto Surprise Burrito:
1. Open can of beans, and set to reheat on the stove.
2. Begin to brown beef in a medium-high heated pan. When browned, add seasoning and water.
3. Make guacamole. Mash avocado, and then add lemon juice and garlic salt to taste.
4. Slice naruto/fish cake.
5. Add cheese to a tortilla, and melt in the microwave.
6. Pile on beef and beans. Then, add in naruto. Pile on guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. Wrap burrito.