You can debate whether the notion of "manga style" illustration has any validity, but most readers will admit there are story patterns you see over and over in popular manga. In their latest semi-scientific poll, MyNavi asked readers to name what manga style surprise development they'd most like to experience in their lives.
1. Receive an unexpected kiss from a member of the opposite sex - 39%
A 43-year-old IT worker said he always imagined being kissed by a girl while sleeping in a hospital bed. Plenty, mostly in their 20s and 30s, said it would be nice, but only happens in manga.
2. Suddenly develop powers at a time of great need - 15.9%
It seemed to be mostly IT workers who picked this one with a mix of reasons, from the utility of gaining a power to the excitement, to always wanting to be a hero.
3. Meet a lover waiting in front of your house - 14.1 %
A 23-year-old teacher thought it was a very moe idea, while a 33-year-old saleperson said it's a dream he always had and a 46-year-old advertising worker said it was something he thought happened all the time.
4. Help out an old man who proves to be secretly influential - 13.4%
Workers from diverse professionals, generally in their mid 20s, mentioned that they liked this because they thought it could be possible.
5. Receive timely help in a moment of great need - 13%
1. Receive an unexpected kiss from a member of the opposite sex - 38.1%
Many respondents said they'd likely react with mixed emotions, but that it would be exciting and make them feel desired.
2. Grant great powers in a desperate moment - 20.5%
There's an interesting bit of gender politics here comparing this to the second pick by the males. A 25-year-old medical worker talked about secretly thinking about giving power to a childhood friend. A 27-year-old food worker spoke about both wanting to be saved and wanting to sacrifice herself.
3. Receive timely help in a moment of great need - 19.8％
A 25-year-old IT worker explained that it is a comforting event in manga, that does really happen in the real world.
4. Be made beautiful by a hair/style make-over - 15.2％
A 30-year-old medical industry secretary typified responses when she said it was something that seemed like it could happen, but never happened to her.
5. Best a seemingly unbeatable adversary - 14.4％
A 25-year-old wholesale clerk said it was something that wasn't miraculous, but which she always wished she experienced.