The last two decades have seen Sunrise try to radically reinvent Gundam with the Alternate Universe series, then revisit and remix the original formula. In a new Biglobe free-for-all poll, over four thousand fans name which Gundam series they thought was the best of this Heisei Era (starting on January 8, 1989, when Akihito took the throne following the death of Hirohito).
1. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (2007) - the first set in the non-fictional Anno Domini era, also more closely informed by real work issues than many of the its predicessors
2. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995)- inverted the traditional formula with protagonists from the orbiting colonies rather than Earth - also featuring pretty boy pilots and teen relationships
3. ∀ Gundam (1999) - the last Gundam directed by series creator Yoshiyuki Tomino, also perhaps the mostly radically different one, with mobile suits unearthed in an era of steam-driven technology and a conflict between Earth and a moon society
4. After War Gundam X (1996) - an Alternate Universe Gundam set after almost the all space colonies have been dropped onto Earth, leaving a post apocalyptic landscape
5. Mobile Fighter G Gundam (1994) - space colonies return to earth with their nationality themed mobile suits in a grand, over the top fighting tournament
6. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (1994) - a Universal Century Gundam set seven decades after the original Gundam's One Year War
7. Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (2011) Level-5's Akihiro Hino oversees a multi-generational story meant to reach out to younger viewers
8. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (2002) revisited the structure of the original Gundam with the lessons learned from Wing
9. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Detiny (2004) at least initially, the Zeta Gundam to SEED's Mobile Suit Gundam
What's been you're favorite Gundam of the last couple decades?