Over the summer it was announced that Michael Fassbender (Prometheus, X-Men: First Class) would both co-produce and star in Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed film, but things have quieted down a bit since then. Signs of activity are back, though, as Ubisoft has partnered with New Regency and Fox to co-produce and distribute the adaptation.
Assassin's Creed is still without a director, script, and cast—aside from Fassbender—and Ubisoft Motion Pictures CEO Jean-Julien Baronnet says they hope to have all of that packaged by next summer. While Ubisoft is getting help from New Regency through partial financing, the game company's fresh movie production side will still remain involved creatively as planned.
Ubisoft also hopes to tie in the film's release with a new game launch, which isn't hard to believe considering the annual nature of the franchise over the past few years. Baronnet said, "We don't want to make games just for the sake of movies… We want to make them in concert with the games."
The Assassin's Creed games have pushed over 38 million units worldwide, enjoying spin-offs into other media like comics and toys along the way. From the gist of the film's plot synopsis—a man descended from trained assassins is kidnapped by a clandestine organization tied to the Knights Templar and sent through time to retrieve historical artifacts—it looks like they plan to keep things pretty faithful.
In the meantime, Assassin's Creed III is just about ready to drop on October 30.