This week, manga magazine Shounen Sunday published the preview visual for the upcoming adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist author Hiromu Arakawa's best selling farming manga Silver Spoon, which runs this summer on alt audience anime block Noitamina. To go with the preview, the anime's official site posted an early look at the series' character designs.
Sword Art Online's Tomohiko Ito will direct the show will assistance from Kotomi Deai (SOA'ssecond ending). Usagi Drop's Taku Kishimoto is on scripts with Mardock Scramble's Jun Nakai providing character designs.
with wiki descriptions
- The main protagonist, Hachiken is a city boy from Sapporo. After failing to pass the entrance exams for the high school of his preference, Yugo decided to enroll at Yezo instead, believing that easier academic course would leave him with more time to prepare for college exams. However, the agricultural courses' demand for hard labor proved his assumptions wrong. Due to his father's strict upbringing, he is somehow unable to refuse when someone needs his help. Despite complaining a lot when he feels people are abusing of his generosity, Hachiken quickly earns the friendship and respect of his peers. Just after enrolling, Yugo joins the Equestrian Club along his classmate Aki, soon rising to the position of vice-president due to his reliable nature. Yugo is usually anxious about his future as, unlike his classmates who already have set their goals in life, he is still wondering about what career he should choose.
- Aki is a first year who is also a member of the Equestrian Club and Yugo's love interest. She is studying to inherit her family business, a cow and horse farm specializing in raising Ban'ei race horses. Aki usually has a cheerful and positive attitude and she eventually develops feelings for Yugo, leading to them start dating. Her father is very protective and was wary of her relationship with Yugo at first, but some time later starts seeing him as a man worthy of becoming her husband, just like the rest of her family.
- One of Yugo's close friends and a skilled baseball player, Komaba dreams of becoming a professional ball player so he can use the money he earns in the league to improve his family's dairy farm. He is also Aki's childhood friend and neighbor, and their closeness is a constant source of jealousy for Yugo.
- A close friend of Yugo who has a talent to put himself in trouble due to his difficulty to study and his habit to jump too quickly into conclusions, much to his friends' chagrin. His family owns a chicken farm.
- A rich classmate of Yugo whose family runs a huge industrial farm. Usually an obese girl, under the extra fat she hides a quite beautiful figure that reveals itself occasionally when she works too hard or gets herself into a quick diet. However she feels too weak when she is thinner thus it does not take much time for her to regain all the weight she had previously lost.
Another close friend of Yugo, Aikawa aims to become a veterinarian despite his tendency to faint at the sight of blood.
Scott Green is editor and reporter for anime and manga at geek entertainment site Ain't It Cool News. Follow him on Twitter at @aicnanime.