Here's a fun breakfast baking project using the iconic shape of everyone's favorite Ghibli forest spirit. kawaiisweetworld, a baking and crafting Youtube channel dedicated to making all sorts of cute things, have put together an instructional video on how to make Totoro poptarts. Get
Icing Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com (http://bit.ly/rMZOaW)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 T milk
2 teaspoons corn syrup
To prepare, stir together icing sugar, milk, and corn syrup, then color with desired food coloring
Makes 4 poptarts
Store bought or homemade pie crust (1 9" round)
Apple pie filling
1 Egg, beaten
1. Cut out rectangles of pie crust with a rectangle cookie cutter or knife. Make sure you cut out an even number!
2. Spoon 1-2 T of apple pie filling over one rectangle
3. Lay second sheet of pie crust over apple pie filling, crimp edges with fork. Repeat for all pieces. 1 9" pie sheet makes about 4 poptarts
4. Cut small slits in top of poptart. Don't worry, these won't show up when you spread on icing!
5. Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes
Note: The icing may crack -- but it's okay! These poptarts are still super cute! :-)