First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime You Regret Watching?
24411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / New York, US
Offline
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/6/17
Overlord.
Heard great things about it, but was utterly disappointed.
It's a grimdark power fantasy with an un likable protagonist.
Not my cup of tea.
31751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/6/17

KurtIrving wrote:

I regret watching Casshern Sins and wth cares about this anime anymore? on a side note, there are better sci-fi shows.


Casshern Sins was the shit i need to rewatch that and the original 80's series.


On the topic probably No game no life and Gintama....just yuck
184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/6/17
NO GAME NO LIFE
only because supposedely theyre not going to make a second season and i got really into it and wont ever be fully satisfied. ill be left at the first battle of a really good anime forever :'(
184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/6/17

Werning wrote:

BTOOOM. By far the worst I have ever seen (start-to-finish) so far.

I've seen worse, but I like to pretend those simply don't exist.


i honestly really liked BTOOM . but i guess thats my own opinion lol.
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/6/17
Eureka Seven AO -- The ending...
Glasslip -- The art was good, the music was fantastic... that is all.
Calus 
16156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / Not under your be...
Offline
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/11/17
Oreimo.
The only reason I didn't drop it sooner was because it seemed to actually focus on the relationship between the MC and Kuroneko at first... but then it regressed into the absolute steaming garbage heap it is.
I think it had potential to be an actually wonderfully done romance anime if it didn't suddenly scrap everything it had building up, and became a nonsensical haremy trash heap instead.

The Irregular at Magic High School.
I don't know why I stuck to it as long as I did.... I feel like it was building a good story at first, but in reality it was just building up to flaunt how stupid OP really was all along and how "cool" he is for having no emotions and all the girls falling for him.
I kept hoping he would have some kind meaningful development, weaknesses, and an actual meaningful interactions... but NOPE. He just became more OP and "flawless" instead, and by the end I was just watching it to see how much of a shitshow it would end up becoming.


One that I actualy LOVED that I've seen someone else hate on here is Rokka... and I think I love it for the same reason they hate it.
We were both expecting it to be a typical adventure anime with action, swords, and cool powers.
...Instead, it turned out to be a compelling mystery anime with really interesting characters, character interactions, and emotional development with a touch of romance that actually felt nice, and not the trashy typical "romance" shit you see in this kind of anime.
They wanted what they were expecting. On the otherhand, I was extremely pulled in and impressed with what I got instead.
1170 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / Makati
Offline
Posted 9/5/17 , edited 9/11/17
Neon Genesis Evangelion
2658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 3/24/18
I've been watching for years and can tell within minutes whether or not I'm gonna enjoy a show, so I drop anime pretty quickly. The only ones I can really say I regret are the ones someone else made me watch.

Like SAO Gungale...and GATE...and Tokyo Ghoul...
And Overlord...and Akame ga Kill...and Rakudai Kishi

There's prob a few more brain rotting anime I don't remember too well. Some of these just weren't to my taste, like Tokyo Ghoul. Some of these were just downright awful.

Akame ga Kill felt like a middle schooler regurgitated a bunch of manga plots together. I wrote this exact kind of thing when I was 13. I slammed together incoherent anime tropes I thought were cool, and Akame ga Kill was like a awkward chuuni slideshow exhibit for me. Forced grimdark character histories? Check. Flat character designs that reveal no personality? Check. Characters with wacky powers and no real in universe justification or common thread between them? Check.
Remember kids! The more of an tragic backstory you give your characters, the more the audience will like them~! (◕ᴗ◕✿)

Rakudai Kishi was bland, formulaic, and virtually indistinguishable from every other anime matching the description: "Wish-fulfillment main male lead goes to school for magic knights and turns from loser to hero." The only reason my friend watched the whole thing was because he was suffering from insomnia.

Overlord had no conflict?? I stuck around for episodes, hoping something would happen but nope. He's just too powerful. No threat at all. And no personality too apparently. For a cast that's so diverse and colorful, the main dude himself is like flat soda.

After all that's said, they weren't really that bad, just really really mediocre. I'm just upset that even though I knew it was mediocre, someone still made me watch it.
2658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/6/17

Calus wrote:

One that I actualy LOVED that I've seen someone else hate on here is Rokka... and I think I love it for the same reason they hate it.
We were both expecting it to be a typical adventure anime with action, swords, and cool powers.
...Instead, it turned out to be a compelling mystery anime with really interesting characters, character interactions, and emotional development with a touch of romance that actually felt nice, and not the trashy typical "romance" shit you see in this kind of anime.
They wanted what they were expecting. On the otherhand, I was extremely pulled in and impressed with what I got instead.


Rokka's certainly an interesting one to bring up! I read the other two comments on it and it's pretty interesting to see the divide over the same issue.
I have to say that Rokka as an anime was a chore to watch. It really didn't feel like there was any meaning to watching it. They didn't move. And frankly, while the character designs were really clean, they hardly made sense. Why have an assassin who wears traditional all black if you're going to stick an enormous fluorescent flower on her head? How does that help stealth? Why does Adlet look like a floppy Luke fon Fabre? Naschetania's design was beautiful...but made no sense in world. It didn't seem to relate to her culture, nor was it practical. The princess is a bunny girl with crotch armor just cause.

But I really wanted to find out who the impostor was even if I wasn't willing to watch the anime so I turned to the novels and hot damn, was that engaging! The story was intriguing and held a lot of fun twists and turns. But the anime was sooo boring. There isn't much of a point to making something visual if there's no visual spectacle. I think I might have enjoyed it more if it was just a drama cd or something.
Calus 
16156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / Not under your be...
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/6/17

Hakuotter wrote:

Rokka's certainly an interesting one to bring up! I read the other two comments on it and it's pretty interesting to see the divide over the same issue.
I have to say that Rokka as an anime was a chore to watch. It really didn't feel like there was any meaning to watching it. They didn't move. And frankly, while the character designs were really clean, they hardly made sense. Why have an assassin who wears traditional all black if you're going to stick an enormous fluorescent flower on her head? How does that help stealth? Why does Adlet look like a floppy Luke fon Fabre? Naschetania's design was beautiful...but made no sense in world. It didn't seem to relate to her culture, nor was it practical. The princess is a bunny girl with crotch armor just cause.

But I really wanted to find out who the impostor was even if I wasn't willing to watch the anime so I turned to the novels and hot damn, was that engaging! The story was intriguing and held a lot of fun twists and turns. But the anime was sooo boring. There isn't much of a point to making something visual if there's no visual spectacle. I think I might have enjoyed it more if it was just a drama cd or something.


Really? It's funny you say that about rather having it as an audio drama, because personally I think Rokka was one of the most visually pleasing shows I've ever watched by far. I'll admit, you're right that some of the character designs don't make complete sense, but they are some of the best character designs ive ever seen. Naschetania's design was actually my least favorite (LOL sorry), as well as the least fitting for the world.. but you can use the excuse of the female saint character's designs being so unique because they're "saints". You can't excuse Flamie's flower that easy in a practical sense, but you gotta admit It looks really nice

The biggest argument I see against Rokka besides the genre twist is the "slow pacing" but personally I don't get that. Every episode seemed eventful and exciting on its own to me. I think people are just so fixated on getting over the mystery of "who's da fake" that they just want to get it over with and move on with the story.. when in reality the mystery of the fake IS the story (of the first season.) So much happens within that, that I can't really call it slow paced.

Really, Rokka is a serious case of hit-or-miss. That's what it really comes down to. I only know people who love it, and people who hate it, and for the same reasons every time :P

I just find it funny that the same reasons people LOVE it are the same reasons others HATE it. That includes the romance bit.
12864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/6/17
As I said earlier, the biggest issues I had with Rokka wasn't really the genre twist, it was that what they did was just poorly executed. If the actually way they did the locked room mystery was interesting and compelling, it would have been fine. But it wasn't. It was just a mess of cliches and pointless red herrings. The characters were never given any chance to develop because everything was about serving the poorly constructed mystery. Combine this with the end of season reset that basically rendered the entire season pointless, especially considering that the story outside of the locked room wasn't even allowed to progress at all either for "reasons." In my eyes, the art was great but we never got to appreciate it because of the way they locked down the entire concept.
20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/11/17

SoneTae wrote:

I'm curious if anybody has ever watched anime that made you think "Good God, what the heck did I just watch?!" Something you'd be embarrassed to admit about or an anime that made you feel disgusting afterword?


Chu-Bra. Why did I watch a show about middle school girls in their underwear? I mean, yeah, it's a good show. But it's not like I read a compelling teaser and this is just what it turned out to be. It totally says right in the description that this is a show about middle school girls in their underwear. Why did I even start watching it?

Please Tell Me! Galko-Chan is another one that's just... why? Why did I watch that? Not because it's bad or anything. But what in the world led me to say "that sounds good" and start?

Plus I have rewatched Girls' High more than I like to admit, because I'm absolutely in love with Kouda. And again: why did I watch this? It's not so much "why did I watch ALL of this," because.. well, Kouda, but that still leaves "why did I watch the first episode?"

Seriously, what possible reasoning leads me to say "I want to watch a totally non-ecchi show about schoolgirls?" I mean, if it were ecchi, that's one thing. Of course I want to watch schoolgirl ecchi; everyone does, that's why it's a thing. But what is with all the schoolgirl SOL? Why do I like these shows? What do I get out of them? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that when I tell people I watch them, they will ask why, and when I don't have an answer they will make up something filthy because people are awful.

On the other side of things, I couldn't even finish Charger Girl. What the actual fuck was that? Also Nyarko-san and Bananya. There's just a point where you go "okay, like the saying goes, WTF Japan" and turn it off. But then I'll merrily sit and watch Space Patrol Luluco because apparently that is just enough of just the right kind of WTF.
28043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/6/17
Tatsuya Shiba emphasizes why this one Pixar rule works, "We admire characters more for their effort than successes". Tatsuya has no struggle, merely opposition.

That being said, in terms of manga, I read all 78-80 chapters of Akame Ga Kill. Boy, was I glad not to pay for it. It sucked balls. We got clowns raping little girls on their deceased fathers grave, while their mother receives the same treatment from the dude that looks like Scar from Full Metal Alchemist, we have the Prime Minister turning out to be a cannibal, we have Muramasa being able to break an armor teigu without itself breaking, etc.

Just...a crock of shit.
10050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/6/17
Gabriel Dropout
7634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/6/17 , edited 9/6/17

Casshern Sins was the shit i need to rewatch that and the original 80's series.


That's your opinion and there's a reason why anime related to stuff Tatsunoko previously made aren't increasingly popular.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.