First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Florida gun owners encouraged to fire their guns at Hurricane Irma
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:



Do you know which series those gifs belong to ??





The top is from this series
https://myanimelist.net/anime/14515/Sasami-sanGanbaranai

the bottom one is from this series (i think)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6500/Seikon_no_Qwaser

You saw the videos about looters in Florida or Texas? is it just me or they like to aim for those air jordan?

Looters caught on camera breaking into a store in Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsEW-shTjo



I think we will get some rain here in the valley since the weather will drop to 99 degree in the next few days!! I'm guessing summer is finally over around here!!


51466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Hellhole, USA
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17
20175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17

qualeshia3 wrote:

Only in America?


Na.. Mother Russia would love to join in this joyous advent as well.
1570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Somewhere to my l...
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17
dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Florida Man later stated that he meant it as a joke but was surprised that people actually took it seriously.

If anyone sits down and thinks about it for a bit.. hurricanes are strong, it can rip and destroy well built homes. A bullet isn't going to make it go away, if anything, the wind will just pick it up, spin it around, and throw it somewhere else, and you can probably figure out the rest.
30264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Bakaneer wrote:
. Lastly, the winds are so strong that the bullet might end up shooting the shooter instead.




There are problems with doing this, but that isn't one of them.


Isn't it a perennial truism that those who lecture most stridently about firearms safety know least about it?

Clearly some folks here need a bit of education before they start making ridiculous claims. They don't know a thing about ballistics

Hurricane force winds are nowhere NEAR strong enough to push a bullet back at the shooter. Wind force WILL affect the point of impact of a bullet, true, but it would take much more than a couple hundred miles per hour to actually blow it back at you. In fact, a full kilometer downrange, not only has the wind NOT pushed the bullet back to the shooter, but the bullet is still travelling AWAY from the shooter, into a 100mph headwind, at just a hair under the speed of sound. If you're wondering just how much the 100mph headwind slows down the bullet compared to one fired in still air, it is slowed an additional 200 feet per second (or 14% the speed of sound) by the time it reaches 1000 meters.

If you were shooting into a 100mph side wind, at 1000 meters range, it would push the bullet 94 feet to the side of your point of aim (assuming you did not correct for wind). 94 feet sounds like a lot, but mind you that is during the course of the trajectory of a KILOMETER. The maximum range an average large-caliber rifle bullet can even travel is only some five and a half kilometers (.30-06, the largest caliber in common use, has an absolute maximum ballistic range of 5900 yards at sea level), and that's if you're pointing it 45 degrees up in the air. So the most you'll have the bullet blown off target is some ~600 feet at 6 kilometers. 600 feet is far, FAR less than 6,000 meters. Not going to blow it back at you. It's still going to hit in the area you are pointing it.

In order to shoot yourself, you would have to shoot it damn near straight up anyway, and that is obviously a bad idea on it's own, regardless of how much wind there is.

But as I said earlier, there is nothing *inherently* unsafe about shooting into high winds, so long as you are shooting in a safe direction (like an area of ocean you know to be void of vessels and swimmers). Pointless? Sure. Inherently unsafe? No. Not the shooting part, anyhow. I'd be more worried about drowning or being hit by flying plywood debris



4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

dulun18 wrote:

The top is from this series
https://myanimelist.net/anime/14515/Sasami-sanGanbaranai

the bottom one is from this series (i think)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6500/Seikon_no_Qwaser

You saw the videos about looters in Florida or Texas? is it just me or they like to aim for those air jordan?

Looters caught on camera breaking into a store in Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsEW-shTjo




They are rescuing those air jordans from the potential flood It's survival scavenging!!! BLM just doing what they do best that is all

Honestly? from a person who is 1/4 black... it's shame seeing my fellow niggers robbing stores in time of disaster. I guess this is the reason why some decided to stay behind.. getting what they wanted without paying.

Which is worst? having your house/business destroyed by the hurricane or driving back and see it still standing but all the contents inside are gone ?
Ejanss 
17141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

TheGreatHoneyBun wrote:But Ryon Edwards, 22, came up with a novel way of amusing himself during the storm: firing bullets into it.


If we're lucky, maybe it'll blow the bullets back at them.
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

Ejanss wrote:

If we're lucky, maybe it'll blow the bullets back at them.


If wind speeds on earth were capable of such a thing, life on earth would not exist. Even the red spot on jupiter with its near 400 mph wind would not be able to do that.
See OutontheOp's comment above.
610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

outontheop wrote:


Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Bakaneer wrote:
. Lastly, the winds are so strong that the bullet might end up shooting the shooter instead.




There are problems with doing this, but that isn't one of them.


Isn't it a perennial truism that those who lecture most stridently about firearms safety know least about it?

Clearly some folks here need a bit of education before they start making ridiculous claims. They don't know a thing about ballistics

Hurricane force winds are nowhere NEAR strong enough to push a bullet back at the shooter. Wind force WILL affect the point of impact of a bullet, true, but it would take much more than a couple hundred miles per hour to actually blow it back at you. In fact, a full kilometer downrange, not only has the wind NOT pushed the bullet back to the shooter, but the bullet is still travelling AWAY from the shooter, into a 100mph headwind, at just a hair under the speed of sound. If you're wondering just how much the 100mph headwind slows down the bullet compared to one fired in still air, it is slowed an additional 200 feet per second (or 14% the speed of sound) by the time it reaches 1000 meters.

If you were shooting into a 100mph side wind, at 1000 meters range, it would push the bullet 94 feet to the side of your point of aim (assuming you did not correct for wind). 94 feet sounds like a lot, but mind you that is during the course of the trajectory of a KILOMETER. The maximum range an average large-caliber rifle bullet can even travel is only some five and a half kilometers (.30-06, the largest caliber in common use, has an absolute maximum ballistic range of 5900 yards at sea level), and that's if you're pointing it 45 degrees up in the air. So the most you'll have the bullet blown off target is some ~600 feet at 6 kilometers. 600 feet is far, FAR less than 6,000 meters. Not going to blow it back at you. It's still going to hit in the area you are pointing it.

In order to shoot yourself, you would have to shoot it damn near straight up anyway, and that is obviously a bad idea on it's own, regardless of how much wind there is.

But as I said earlier, there is nothing *inherently* unsafe about shooting into high winds, so long as you are shooting in a safe direction (like an area of ocean you know to be void of vessels and swimmers). Pointless? Sure. Inherently unsafe? No. Not the shooting part, anyhow. I'd be more worried about drowning or being hit by flying plywood debris





You know...I wonder if you stop and read your argument at all.

People were making jokes about people being stupid.

Harmless fun.

Then here you come.

Thinking you have a smart rebuttal. Yet...

You only managed to point out how stupid gun ownership is.

I mean, people have weapons that are firing projectile so fast that it out strips a hurricane in force and power. Literally the bullet can be deflect but it won't stop nor be force backwards by the wind speed.
In fact, you wanted to amp it up some more and make people realized their weaponry is actually able to outstrip the speed of sound.

And we want to stop North Korean from having Nukes.

While every person in the USA have weapons that can literally break the sound barrier..

IRONYYYYYYY
30264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

Silentveil wrote:

You know...I wonder if you stop and read your argument at all.

People were making jokes about people being stupid.

Harmless fun.

Then here you come.

Thinking you have a smart rebuttal. Yet...

You only managed to point out how stupid gun ownership is.

I mean, people have weapons that are firing projectile so fast that it out strips a hurricane in force and power. Literally the bullet can be deflect but it won't stop nor be force backwards by the wind speed.
In fact, you wanted to amp it up some more and make people realized their weaponry is actually able to outstrip the speed of sound.

And we want to stop North Korean from having Nukes.

While every person in the USA have weapons that can literally break the sound barrier..

IRONYYYYYYY



outontheop wrote:

Isn't it a perennial truism that those who lecture most stridently about firearms safety know least about it?


Yes, yes, much clutching of pearls.

Are you any less dead when someone jams a few inches of pointy steel in you? Or when struck with a blunt object? Or run over by a 4-ton vehicle?

GTFO of here with your pointless pontificating. You clearly do not understand a thing about firearms. They are a tool that reliably and predictably perform a task with known and predictable results.

Legal gun owners in the US have a lower per-capita murder rate than almost every nation in the EU. The guns aren't the problem, ideologue.

I wonder if you realize how foolish you sound, or understand that despite your laughable virtue signaling from your supposed moral high ground, you are making literally no sound argument. You are appealing to emotion, with no facts. Your comrades tried to claim that all gun owners are fools, and that shooting into a hurricane is inherently unsafe because the winds would "blow the bullets back at the shooter". I, with facts and scientific data, proved that to be a falsehood. No more, no less.

I also do not think you understand basic physics, because for some reason you are fixated on velocity and not force. No, a hurricane will not blow a bullet back at the shooter. That does NOT mean the bullet "out strips a hurricane in force and power." It means that gravity wins over the bullet before wind force does. The hurricane has millions of tons of air behind it; the bullet is a couple grams. Are you really so stupid you believe that the fact a bullet is aerodynamic enough to not be blown back at the shooter somehow means a single rifle bullet is more destructive than a hurricane?!?!

Inertia, force/ energy, and velocity are NOT the same thing. Which do you think has more energy? A rifle bullet, or a car moving at 10 km/h? Mind you, 10 km/h is a brisk walking pace.



I guess we should haul you off to the gulag, because you are a horrible person that owns a weapon that shoots projectiles at the speed of LIGHT!!!! It shoots projectiles so fast that no amount of wind can stop it, and it is the FASTEST projectile possible! Even worse, it shoots in EVERY DIRECTION indiscriminately! Since the wise and all-knowing silentveil has pointed out how DANGEROUS it is to have something that shoots projectiles at high velocities, and that the inability of WIND to stop those projectiles is in fact an accurate measure of exactly how dangerous that weapon is, you clearly should be imprisoned for the good of everyone!

30264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

If we're lucky, maybe it'll blow the bullets back at them.


If wind speeds on earth were capable of such a thing, life on earth would not exist. Even the red spot on jupiter with its near 400 mph wind would not be able to do that.
See OutontheOp's comment above.


I'm not actually certain the Great Red Spot storm would NOT be able to do it. You can't just take it's wind speed and assume it will behave the same as an equal wind speed on Earth at sea level. The atmospheric pressure (and more importantly, density) at the Great Red Spot is not the same as on Earth. I'm not sure how it compares, but I'm fairly certain it is much higher (and for that matter, increases significantly from the upper altitudes of the Red Spot to the lower altitudes).

At the same wind speed, denser air will push the bullet more. It makes a *HUGE* difference. At the top of Mt Everest, the air is so thin that a bullet will travel over twice the distance as at sea level, because the air just doesn't "push" as hard.

*edit: best I can find, the Great Red Spot ranges from 500 millibars at the top to perhaps 3000 millibars at the base. So... from a bit under 60% of Earth sea level pressure, up to some 4.5x Earth sea level pressure. The top of the visible cloud layer on Jupiter apparently begins at about twice Earth sea level pressure:


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Probe
21385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17
Sunday morning all of my fellow Floridians acceded to our roofs and fired our guns at Irma. We ate some gator jerky then looted a Cumberland Farms for beer and cheap wine. Sensationalized enough for ya?
30264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17
So, apparently Hurricane Irma contained 112 terajoules of energy in the first ten meters of altitude: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/national/how-big-is-hurricane-irma/?utm_term=.225f6e2bf0f7

So assuming everyone shooting at Irma was shooting 168 grain projectiles at 2850 feet per second muzzle velocity (a fairly typical loading for .30-06, 7.62x54R, 7.62x51 NATO, and similar rifle cartridges) which each generate 4127 joules of energy at the muzzle, and assuming that they fully transferred their energy into and directly against the storm, it would have taken TWENTY EIGHT BILLION bullets to stop the storm.

Just the lowest 10 meters of the storm, that is. The storm extended up 12,500 meters. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41172545 Now, the higher altitudes have less dense air, and therefore carry less energy (and may have also been moving more slowly), so let's just assume that the average energy density throughout the depth of the hurricane was half that at the surface. Using that back-of-the-envelope math, it would then take 28,000,000,000 bullets per ten-meter "slice" times 1250 ten-meter "slices", divided by two = SEVENTEEN TRILLION, 500 BILLION bullets to have stopped the storm.

I'm not sure there are enough bullets in existence, or ever have been! In the entirety of the second world war, the US Ordnance Department only produced 47 billion small arms bullets, plus another 11 million tons of artillery ammunition (assuming the average was a 40 pound 105mm projectile, that means 550 million artillery projectiles). https://www.nraila.org/articles/20030520/the-great-arsenal-of-democracy

Figure that Germany and Russia produced an equal amount each (they didn't really make as much as the US), and that the UK, Japan, and the minor powers combined produced as much as the US (again, they didn't make that much), and the sum total is that only 200 billion projectiles were made during WW2. Not even fired, just *made*. Tons of the ammo made for WW2 is still out there in stockpiles.

Literally every projectile fired by every combatant in every war ever would not be sufficient to equal the energy of hurricane Irma.

If every nuclear detonation ever detonated were added up (all 1,352 to date... yes, there really have been that many nuclear test detonations!), it would amount to 2,135,000 terajoules- or approximately 30.5 times the total energy of hurricane Irma. Which means Hurricane Irma contained as much energy as 44.3 "typical" nuclear warheads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon_yield

But, no, you're right. A single rifle bullet clearly:

Silentveil wrote:
out strips a hurricane in force and power.


Yep. IRONYYYYYYY.
610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17


Laughs, and now you are here to defend the weapon that shoots faster than the speed of sound.
I told you, you should have let sleeping dogs lie, but you pointed out how deadly these things are, and now you are going to back it up by ....arguing against your own point.

Ready, Set, Go.
Your first statements debunked.

Yes, it's call getting a shot by a doctor ...especially when a woman is going into labor.
That is called soccer...when you get hit by a blunt object...position GOALIE
Stuntman.....get ran over by a 4-ton vehicle and survive.

Oh better yet, a hurricane would stop all of those things.
Wind speed would sweep away a blunt object, fling a sharp pointy piece of steel through the air, and you might find a 4-ton vehicle miles away in the sea. Looks at the bullet from a gun, but it can't stop this guy.

A weapon so effective I can still use it to kill during a Hurricane.

Gravity is the force that pulls things downwards.
Normal bullets fall straight down, shot from a gun and they travel...oh how they travel.
They are at the moment defying Gravity.

You are arguing that with winds blowing at a 100 mph it's not strong enough to stop it's motion in the air ....enough that the winds themselves can sling it back before gravity pulls it down. I mean that does make sense ...especially when you point out that it's not a draw. The bullet is moving at such velocity that the effect of the winds isn't enough, and considering that a bullet weights a lot less than a car ...which in the same situation would be ripped from the ground and flung in whatever direction the winds were blowing ..it hard not to wince at your point.

Though you was trying to sound smart when you said it...in reality ...it makes you go .."WHAT is this doing in the hands of the untrained"

1300 feet? 2600 feet?

Heck Bullets fly further than the first plane: 852 feet and in a lot less time 0.06 seconds.

Now let's look at the rest of your post ...Insults, rants, ...raving lunatic moment. WHAT?

Wow, you are reaching there, and I do mean reaching ..but I will bite

Yeah, Light is considered a projectile? I know we say light was projected into the room, but dang, I thought you knew the differences. One is a action, the other is a noun. Light is not considered a Projectile. Maybe if it was a riddle, and maybe in the future where we can figure out a way to solidify light ...but ..normally ...no. Just No. Though if it makes you feel better to try and justify why people should be walking around with weapons that can break the speed of sound ...go for it.

And you want to call me loony.

Comparing light to a gun ....
What's next, you want to compare the dangers of stumbling upon a caterpillar against a bear?







First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.