First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply The Joe Arpaio pardon.
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 9/11/17 , edited 9/14/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZNZY-gd3K0p

To be honest, I had no idea about this until I watched this video. Anyone else have more information on this whole scenario? John seems to do a fairly good job at summarizing it but I'd like to get some more perspectives.

Regardless it has me worried that Trump can just pardon someone who broke the law we put in place to protect our citizens and there be no repercussions. This guy seems very dangerous.
9450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Dirt land
Offline
Posted 9/11/17 , edited 9/14/17
They were saying on the news that his defense team saying his conviction should be mooted by the pardon. And it was a slap in the face for immigrants, they were furious and screaming about white supremacy on the news also.
Ejanss 
17137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/11/17 , edited 9/14/17

mxdan wrote:
Regardless it has me worried that Trump can just pardon someone who broke the law we put in place to protect our citizens and there be no repercussions. This guy seems very dangerous.


The pardon wasn't even an issue over what Joe DID--
To Trump, whose childlike neurotic obsession is entirely with proving who "agrees" with him in public and who doesn't, it was all about "Don't pick on someone else who said Mexicans were bad hombres!...He agrees with me, 'cause he's my buddy, and you're just the stupid DOJ but I'm the president, so there! "

To any other politician, or any other president, it would be a much, much more complicated issue. Not so much here.
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17

Ejanss wrote:


mxdan wrote:
Regardless it has me worried that Trump can just pardon someone who broke the law we put in place to protect our citizens and there be no repercussions. This guy seems very dangerous.


The pardon wasn't even an issue over what Joe DID--
To Trump, whose childlike neurotic obsession is entirely with proving who "agrees" with him in public and who doesn't, it was all about "Don't pick on someone else who said Mexicans were bad hombres!...He agrees with me, 'cause he's my buddy, and you're just the stupid DOJ but I'm the president, so there! "

To any other politician, or any other president, it would be a much, much more complicated issue. Not so much here.


It doesn't seem legal at all. Pardons should be reserved for complicated issues that have serious legal grey area and social reasons for doing so. Not for clear bias and interpretation of a situation that was in clear violation of laws the STATE held to protect its population. The state even gave him an opportunity to cease his campaign against the innocent and he refused. Never mind the federal level that specifies you are innocent until proven guilty. He's a rogue entity that feels he is above the law and he is being protected by the commander and chief making the president an accessory (not accomplice) to the crime from how I'm interpreting it.

The president is openly pardoning the man because of his ideals not out of violation of law by our institutions.
16861 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_President_of_the_United_States

All presidents can and will pardon whoever they want for whatever reasons feel good to them.
15052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17

mxdan wrote:
It doesn't seem legal at all. Pardons should be reserved for complicated issues that have serious legal grey area and social reasons for doing so. Not for clear bias and interpretation of a situation that was in clear violation of laws the STATE held to protect its population.


Presidential Pardon is as legal as it gets. it is a fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States.


The President shall ... have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

of course, you may disagree with the President interpretation of "Offenses against the United States" or using it when there's a clear bias involved - it still doesn't make it illegal - unless, and this is key, the President is under Impeachment (and this is not the case)

tl;dr
disagreeing with a pardon (due to bias, etc) =/= pardon is illegal
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17

gornotck wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_President_of_the_United_States

All presidents can and will pardon whoever they want for whatever reasons feel good to them.


Doesn't seem to be the issue though. Usually, and I use that term loosely, there is a complicated issue surrounding the pardon. I doubt most republicans knowing the full extent of his violations would be ok with the pardon.

...I take that back, limiting government power is only a Republican issue when a Democrat is in power .
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17
Anti-immigration president pardons anti-immigration advocate, why am I not surprised?
29392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17

XxRancid_RosexX wrote:

Anti-illegal immigration president pardons anti-illegal immigration advocate, why am I not surprised?


FTFY
8102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17


Presidential pardon exists as the executive branch's way to balance out judicial overreach. The activist judges in this case overreached their authority for purely political ends.
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17

GardanTheBlue wrote:



Presidential pardon exists as the executive branch's way to balance out judicial overreach. The activist judges in this case overreached their authority for purely political ends.


http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/aug/29/joe-arpaio/arpaio-falsely-ties-conviction-obama-administratio/


The record, the law and legal opinion show the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona had control of the process, not Justice Department staff linked to the Obama administration.
3374 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / NW
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17
Think the turkey will get a pardon this November?
3160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17


Because apparently all Hispanics in Maricopa county are illegal(?)


GardanTheBlue wrote:
Presidential pardon exists as the executive branch's way to balance out judicial overreach. The activist judges in this case overreached their authority for purely political ends.


I'm fairly sure violations of constitutional amendments do fall under the judicial branch's authority to judge.
48148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17
The turkey just did. I don't know about the dinner bird, though.
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17
Sheriff Joe did nothing wrong. He was doing his job and doing it well. The judge that refused him a jury trial should be brought up on treason charges.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.