First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply The Joe Arpaio pardon.
757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/12/17
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Sheriff Joe did nothing wrong. He was doing his job and doing it well.


http://www.theroot.com/10-disgusting-things-joe-arpaio-did-as-sheriff-of-maric-1798459059


> He ran a jail he described as a “concentration camp.”
> Prisoners in his jails died frequently, often without explanation.
> An inmate who was paraplegic and asked for a catheter almost had his neck broken by one of his jailers.
> He botched hundreds of sex-crime cases of underage girls—oh, and ... one of his “sheriff’s posse” was indicted for child pornography.
> He marched only Latinx prisoners into a segregated area with electric fencing.
> A black woman horrifically lost her baby in his jail.
> A prisoner baked to death in his cell at a temperature of 109 degrees.
> He sent a deputy to Hawaii to “look for Barack Obama’s birth certificate.”
> He was ordered to pay the Phoenix New Times co-founders $3.75 million dollars for false arrests.
> His people killed a puppy in a botched SWAT raid.

There’s more, unfortunately, including investigating the judge who found him in contempt of court, trying to destroy evidence in said investigation and spending millions in taxpayer funds to settle lawsuits during his reign.


What exactly is 'doing a job well' to you?

24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17

mxdan wrote:


Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Sheriff Joe did nothing wrong. He was doing his job and doing it well.


http://www.theroot.com/10-disgusting-things-joe-arpaio-did-as-sheriff-of-maric-1798459059


> He ran a jail he described as a “concentration camp.”
> Prisoners in his jails died frequently, often without explanation.
> An inmate who was paraplegic and asked for a catheter almost had his neck broken by one of his jailers.
> He botched hundreds of sex-crime cases of underage girls—oh, and ... one of his “sheriff’s posse” was indicted for child pornography.
> He marched only Latinx prisoners into a segregated area with electric fencing.
> A black woman horrifically lost her baby in his jail.
> A prisoner baked to death in his cell at a temperature of 109 degrees.
> He sent a deputy to Hawaii to “look for Barack Obama’s birth certificate.”
> He was ordered to pay the Phoenix New Times co-founders $3.75 million dollars for false arrests.
> His people killed a puppy in a botched SWAT raid.

There’s more, unfortunately, including investigating the judge who found him in contempt of court, trying to destroy evidence in said investigation and spending millions in taxpayer funds to settle lawsuits during his reign.


What exactly is 'doing a job well' to you?



Look who you are talking to. That is SOP to him
28741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Seattle, WA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17
I laugh at anyone who thinks that the sheriff did nothing wrong. You can't look at the facts and testimonies and tell me honestly that you think there was no wrongdoing. If you think prisoners should be treated like animals or that it's OK for Latino people to be pulled over for "looking Mexican", then I will kindly tell you to go back to the sewer that you came from. Are the politics so divisive now that people will just go along with what their beloved representative says, just throwing out any logic and facts?
3964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/13/17

mxdan wrote:


Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Sheriff Joe did nothing wrong. He was doing his job and doing it well.


http://www.theroot.com/10-disgusting-things-joe-arpaio-did-as-sheriff-of-maric-1798459059


> He ran a jail he described as a “concentration camp.”
> Prisoners in his jails died frequently, often without explanation.
> An inmate who was paraplegic and asked for a catheter almost had his neck broken by one of his jailers.
> He botched hundreds of sex-crime cases of underage girls—oh, and ... one of his “sheriff’s posse” was indicted for child pornography.
> He marched only Latinx prisoners into a segregated area with electric fencing.
> A black woman horrifically lost her baby in his jail.
> A prisoner baked to death in his cell at a temperature of 109 degrees.
> He sent a deputy to Hawaii to “look for Barack Obama’s birth certificate.”
> He was ordered to pay the Phoenix New Times co-founders $3.75 million dollars for false arrests.
> His people killed a puppy in a botched SWAT raid.

There’s more, unfortunately, including investigating the judge who found him in contempt of court, trying to destroy evidence in said investigation and spending millions in taxpayer funds to settle lawsuits during his reign.


What exactly is 'doing a job well' to you?



If you read some of the articles in the links contained in that link, it's actually a lot worse than the summary list: the paraplegic's neck was broken, and the underage sex-crimes weren't just bungled, they were literally ignored.

I wonder if any of Arpaio's crimes weren't in the charges that were ultimately levied and then pardoned. Maybe we can charge him with something else and keep on doing so until Trump gives up?
51656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17
Something to note, a presidential pardon can only be granted if the person being pardoned admits to the crime, which is why Arpaio is trying to get the conviction overturned... because admitting he violated people's civil rights opens him up to undefensible civil trials where he will literally have no defense and will be sued for millions.

Also, since Arpaio was convicted of a constitutional crime and Trump pardoned him... it means that Trump has violated the Oath of Office.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/01/20/i-do-solemnly-swear-the-35-most-momentous-words-donald-trump-will-say-at-his-inauguration/?utm_term=.c9c5a96c3d78

Defending the Constitution does not mean pardoning those who are in violation of it. It's kind of a no brainer.
qwueri 
24892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17
Hopefully a pardon that politically motivated will come back to bite both Arpaio and Trump.
29392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

qwueri wrote:

Hopefully a pardon that politically motivated will come back to bite both Arpaio and Trump.


When you are combating Federal Judges that are politically motivated despite their lifetime appointments it's fair game in my opinion.
qwueri 
24892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

MysticGon wrote:

When you are combating Federal Judges that are politically motivated despite their lifetime appointments it's fair game in my opinion.


The judge who ordered Arpaio to stop overstepping his legal authority was not doing so for political gain. Pardoning Arpaio from a 6 month sentence for contempt of court did nothing other than display Trump's lack understanding of immigration law, and possibly send signals he'd use that power to pardon anyone under the Meuller investigation. For a president for "law and order", Trump certainly shows a distinct lack of regard when it goes against someone who publicly supports him. The judiciary isn't the place to score cheap political points.
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

Glorianos wrote:

I laugh at anyone who thinks that the sheriff did nothing wrong. You can't look at the facts and testimonies and tell me honestly that you think there was no wrongdoing. If you think prisoners should be treated like animals or that it's OK for Latino people to be pulled over for "looking Mexican", then I will kindly tell you to go back to the sewer that you came from. Are the politics so divisive now that people will just go along with what their beloved representative says, just throwing out any logic and facts?


Worse then animals... If a pound was being that negligent the person in charge would be convicted of abuse but since they're prisoners we turn a blind eye.
84918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

qwueri wrote:

Hopefully a pardon that politically motivated will come back to bite both Arpaio and Trump.


It isn't uncommon for Presidents to make politically motivated pardons. Take a look at Bill Clinton's pardons. He pardoned his brother, and he pardoned various people associated with the Whitewater scandal. President Bush Sr. pardoned a number of people associated with the Iran-Contra affair.
29392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

qwueri wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

When you are combating Federal Judges that are politically motivated despite their lifetime appointments it's fair game in my opinion.


The judge who ordered Arpaio to stop overstepping his legal authority was not doing so for political gain. Pardoning Arpaio from a 6 month sentence for contempt of court did nothing other than display Trump's lack understanding of immigration law, and possibly send signals he'd use that power to pardon anyone under the Meuller investigation. For a president for "law and order", Trump certainly shows a distinct lack of regard when it goes against someone who publicly supports him. The judiciary isn't the place to score cheap political points.


That's exactly the place to score political points. Lawsuits, Supreme Court decisions. They are anything but cheap. That's why the presidency is so important. To appoint judges that read the Constitution the way you believe it was intended.
qwueri 
24892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

ishe5555 wrote:

It isn't uncommon for Presidents to make politically motivated pardons. Take a look at Bill Clinton's pardons. He pardoned his brother, and he pardoned various people associated with the Whitewater scandal. President Bush Sr. pardoned a number of people associated with the Iran-Contra affair.


And presumably there was a political cost to those pardons.


MysticGon wrote:

That's exactly the place to score political points. Lawsuits, Supreme Court decisions. They are anything but cheap. That's why the presidency is so important. To appoint judges that read the Constitution the way you believe it was intended.


You're confusing political grandstanding (Trump's pardon) with something that actually affects how law is interpreted.
5630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17
pardons happen all the time, from the comical turkey pardon at thanksgiving to other more serious, sometimes dangerous pardons. it's the perks and/or power of being a president. every president has done a serious pardon.

for kicks here are the previous president's pardons: https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons

can't forget the legendary pardons of Hoffa and Nixon. but yeah, pardons happen, and not just in the states. I don't agree with everything Joe did, my goodness, it's rare enough I'd agree with my music choice, but I believe he was on the right track, he just sort of went about it in some wrong ways. he should have investigated some cases and not been so abusive in others. but his stance on illegal aliens I do agree with. from what I've heard I believe he's going to try to run for election soon, can't confirm that of yet, just word of mouth, that doesn't serve well, unless the dude himself stated it, then it isn't true.
25804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/13/17 , edited 9/13/17

mxdan wrote:
...I take that back, limiting government power is only a Republican issue when a Democrat is in power .


Well, the government has very limited power if it can't prosecute people due to pardons, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.