First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply 'Stupidly politically correct society is the death of comedy', warns veteran comedian Mel Brooks
7886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Modesto, CA
Offline
Posted 9/22/17
PC kills EVERYTHING
22369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 9/22/17 , edited 9/22/17

Mishio1 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

All I've said is that PC is killing comedy and avoided pushing one side or another as well as I can. You guys are all acknowledging the left as killing comedy and immediately trying to shift the blame or attack my credibility.

Strange how when you say "PC is killing comedy" that even the leftists immediately think were talking about the left. Almost as if its common knowledge.


Because A) the majority of your threads are partisan in nature, at least implicitly. B ) Lately most complaints about political correctness, in particular regarding racism and sexism, seem to be come from the right and aimed at the left, presumably for reasons that have already been discussed. It's not much of a leap in logic.


So you automatically assume everything I am doing is partisan so you come to troll a non-partisan thread that I make in an attempt to make it partisan. Good job you are part of the reason I don't try posting non-partisan stuff more often.

Whelp back to posting the usual since its what you guys want.

472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Winter Springs, F...
Offline
Posted 9/23/17 , edited 9/24/17
Bashing political correctness is all fine and dandy, but what I would like to know is what exactly separates bigoted and dehumanizing stereotypes from simply being politically incorrect?

Case in point: Hollywood's historic, and often maligned deceptions of Arabs.

After watching the documentary linked above, one must ask what is it that we truly know and understand about foreign cultures and how exactly do we respond and make decisions regarding our limited experience and knowledge base?
Banned
Ejanss 
16857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/23/17 , edited 9/23/17

Rujikin wrote:
So you automatically assume everything I am doing is partisan so you come to troll a non-partisan thread that I make in an attempt to make it partisan. Good job you are part of the reason I don't try posting non-partisan stuff more often.

Whelp back to posting the usual since its what you guys want.


Wouldn't say "want", it's more like the idea that a duck would freak you out if it suddenly went "woof" instead of "quack".
Make 99 identical posts, and we assume #100 must be up to something if it sticks out.

And seriously, "Spaceballs", okay, but are we actually considering "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" one of Mel's better movies near the end?
Wow, Brooks's career really deteriorated in the 80's.
runec 
36663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/23/17

Ejanss wrote:
Wow, Brooks's career really deteriorated in the 80's.


Yeah, PC Culture(tm) has nothing to do with it. The last film the guy made was Dracula Dead and Loving It over 20 years ago. It wasn't PC Culture that made it flop. It was that the movie sucked.

Also, he seriously thinks Blazing Saddles is too edgy to be made today? Has he turned on a television at any point in the last decade? >.>

qwueri 
21519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 9/23/17 , edited 9/23/17

Rujikin wrote:

All I've said is that PC is killing comedy and avoided pushing one side or another as well as I can. You guys are all acknowledging the left as killing comedy and immediately trying to shift the blame or attack my credibility.

Strange how when you say "PC is killing comedy" that even the leftists immediately think were talking about the left. Almost as if its common knowledge.


What's common knowledge is what "political correctness" means as a conservative buzzword. That's further reinforced by the lamentation of a restriction on who can use stereotypes for comedic purposes, which is a decidedly partisan.

Disagreeing with the assertion that "political correctness is killing comedy" is no some acknowledgement that 'the left is killing it', an attack on your credibility, or an attempt to shift blame. It's my observation on the state of modern comedy, and any perceived personal attack upon yourself from my statement is fabrication from your end.


Ejanss wrote:

Well, that's another thing that came out of our angry 00's Bush distraction: "SNL isn't funny anymore unless there's an election."

Our national sense of humor has become so atrophied that unless humor is doing something--namely about the news and headlines--to make our anger go away, we can't really envision innocently pointing out the humor or absurdity in anything else.
What humor has SNL been doing between presidential campaigns, "Loud Cellphone Girl"? "This One Guy Who Always Bothers Me On the Subway"? Other self-indulgent expressions of things in society that intrude on our own narcissistic lonership?

We all retreated into angry, self-centered corners during the 00's, and if humor doesn't have the Safety of Our Country to stand up for, most comedy today seems to be about the right to be an irresponsible manchild and keep from developing any maturity after high school like everyone said we were supposed to, and the ability to prank back at all those celebrities we're supposed to care about and people who have jobs and futures when we don't.
There's not much future in being a professional idiot, since it doesn't teach us very much.


I'd say it's more of the explosion of popularity of the Daily Show and the move of several of it's correspondents into high profile shows of their own. They all follow the same general formula of news commentary, with their own specific spin on that style. And other late night comedy shows are generally emulating that same style. It's successful, but it all kind of becomes indistinguishable from one another and generally only comes from the liberal perspective. Though I'm having a hard time imagining a conservative comedian doing the same kind of news shtick; how much of that is personal bias and how much of that is inherent to political platforms I'd be hard pressed to distinguish.

Comedy does tend to be a reflection on the national focus and how people see themselves. I don't think comedy is dying or being killed by any means, but it does seem like the Daily Show style is taking up an unusually large portion of the spotlight as of late. There were quite a few stand-up comedians to rise up around the 00's, though I'd be hard pressed to name one who's in the national conversation right now. Or perhaps I'm just that out of the loop with whichever show is the modern equivalent of The Office, and that's an underlying trend I just haven't noticed.
11331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/23/17
100%
27185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/23/17 , edited 9/23/17

May201m wrote:
} arrogant much }




Self admittedly.
23015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Escondido, San Diego
Offline
Posted 9/23/17
For this entire subject, I just refer to one of my only living hero's, Bill Maher. NYC where I grew up, is kinda funny, even though it's SUPER LIBERAL (oh , how I miss my home) it's refreshingly "politically incorrect" with the general understanding that we can all laugh together about something ridiculous, without ending up in a street brawl, sorry I mean campus protest, or whatever. Again, Kinda funny coming from a New Yorker, stuck in San Diego and sick to death of hearing "It's all good, bro" too many times, some people need to take things with a grain of salt, starting with themselves and just relax. You know what I mean?

And LONG LIVE MEL BROOKS!
I don't think he's dead yet, but that's not really what I mean. It's more of a general feeling that he's fading from our collective cultural consciousness(or something like that)

Moses: "I know bring you these 20(smash),10, these 10 commandments"
Nuff Said.

Also am I the only one who feels like Manga and Anime and some gaming fans, forum readers and opinionated and culturally informed that we are, are some of the last holdouts of educated people on the internet. Or am I alone in feeling this way? Like were information hording holdouts in a culture that increasingly has a collective attention span of 8 seconds.

'We should organize and revolt(clad in cosplay!)"
kinda-like a throwback to retro 60's America, we could wander the land in art clad busses, in costume, hitchhiking to the next "con" in whatever town.
Anyone with me on this? (probably not, but imagine how fun it'd be) and artistically stimulating. We could have our own art revolution, how bout it!
Definitely better than the status quo, off-topic though it may be....
Just a thought.
Kate
1267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/23/17

Rujikin wrote:

So you automatically assume everything I am doing is partisan so you come to troll a non-partisan thread that I make in an attempt to make it partisan. Good job you are part of the reason I don't try posting non-partisan stuff more often.

Whelp back to posting the usual since its what you guys want.



Sorry for being a bit of a jerk in bringing this up like this.
You were actually the one who made this thread into a partisan "us versus them" line of logic with your earlier response on page one.
Just to avoid requiring you to go back to that response to find what I'm speaking about, I'll quote it here:


Rujikin wrote:

No. We are trying to bring back free speech so we can live in a society where we enjoy life and find humor in it instead of hating life and trying to find offense in everything. You cannot solve problems when political correctness doesn't allow you to talk about the problems we're facing.


This is not necessarily about a partisan issue, rather it's about how both sides have their own perspective of "politically correct" statements.
As qwueri had pointed out, it's commonly known as a "right-leaning buzzword" to try to undermine or devalue a statement made by someone that they believe to be left-leaning.
You cannot play the "victim card" by crying foul on those who have progressed this thread into a partisan one when you were the one who had clearly began focusing on it the moment someone attempting to point out that those who often cry "political correctness is going to destroy [some type of subjective realm that is already vague and based on the individual's point of view]" are virtue signaling their own form of political correctness.

Mel Brooks' career declined in the 1990's.
It had nothing to do with the "politically correct culture".
It was that he had run his course and his style of comedy was simply no longer appreciated.
"Robin Hood: Men in Tights" was the last successful film with his name on it, even though he wasn't top billing as a director or producer.
The story was written mostly by Chandler and Shapiro, as far as I am aware.
"Blazing Saddles" is shown on AMC every so often (according to TVGuide.com, AMC will air it again on Monday at 5 PM, followed by Tuesday morning at 1 AM).
It mocks the racial prejudice (ala "Cowboys and Indians") that Hollywood focused on during the 50's and 60's - essentially being an early film that was all about being politically correct by being strictly satire-based.
If anything, it was/is more "PC" than most films around that time.
11331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/23/17
You guys would not believe at how much Australia has changed in a very short amount of time due to political correctness.
We used to be known as being so laid back and easy going. But not anymore.
We def have/had our own sense of humour. Problem is, it's all considered racist now. Cant even have a laugh. And people get offended even though we always take the piss out of ourselves as well..
It's sad really.

On a side note, i was watching some old school black and white loonie tunes on you tube the other day. OMG how times have changed, LMAO.
7665 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Pensacola
Offline
Posted 9/23/17
I miss the classics, Airplane, Spaceballs, Men in tights. Naked gun, Spyhard, they don't make movies like these anymore. and it sucks.
Posted 9/23/17 , edited 9/23/17
Oh, dear lord. This is stupid.

I love how people using blatant racistjokes and degrading others with people with the stupid shit they say, are getting upset just because they can't pass it of as just "jokes" anymore(ie MrAnimeSK^).

22369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 9/23/17

Ejanss wrote:


Rujikin wrote:
So you automatically assume everything I am doing is partisan so you come to troll a non-partisan thread that I make in an attempt to make it partisan. Good job you are part of the reason I don't try posting non-partisan stuff more often.

Whelp back to posting the usual since its what you guys want.


Wouldn't say "want", it's more like the idea that a duck would freak you out if it suddenly went "woof" instead of "quack".
Make 99 identical posts, and we assume #100 must be up to something if it sticks out.

And seriously, "Spaceballs", okay, but are we actually considering "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" one of Mel's better movies near the end?
Wow, Brooks's career really deteriorated in the 80's.


Relevant: Cat Barking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgIfcmDI9K4
3114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 9/23/17
in some places comedians should be under the PC realm, politics does not belong in comedy, period. as for the other PC stuff, that happens. the horrors and nightmares of what hollywood is doing is becoming a cliche unto itself. forcing things in the dialogue just to push an agenda, whereas avoiding other things because it might harm someone. thank goodness for foreign films.

as for loony tunes, some of those cartoons were actually racist and became banned in the 80s, maybe, due to "black face" and the likes, but, there were other racist undertones in a lot of the older cartoons, thus, why a lot of modern cartoons pretty much suck. they are dull, boring and/or stupid. let's not forget the banning of Mighty Mouse because of the poppy incident. people were doing drugs long before that, to blame a cartoon, tsk tsk.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.