First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Star Trek Discovery
12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/27/17 , edited 9/28/17
Anyone watch the opening two episodes?
Thoughts?

Wont lie, i right away thought here we go again with feminism and diversity(lack of white people) lol
First episode i thought was ok and i was just glad to have Star Trek back, second i was starting to think it was a bit shit and i wasn't sure if i would pursue.
But the way that the second episode ended has me intrigued and watching the sneak peak gave me hope that it will get better.
Plus i remember that Enterprise started slow/not so good and ended up getting really good, was getting really good just as it got canned actually.. but that's another topic.

So far i dont like the crew, by that i mean i think i may struggle to warm to them. But i get the feeling that will change, the way the second episode ended and plus we didn't exactly get much of a chance to get to know the majority of them yet.

I know that the Klingons appearance has changed through out Start Treks history, but iam not sure about their appearance in this one?

And i mean wasn't Spock the first Vulcan to work with Star fleet?

And as is often the case with prequels, they get it wrong by having superior technology than they should have for that time period, more advanced than its "squeal"(the originals).





12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/27/17 , edited 9/27/17
If you want a show with loads of white men and minimal use of female or non-white cast why are you watching Star Trek? Star Trek has always gone out of its way to include loads of people from different genders, ethnicities and even species, since that was Gene Roddenbury's optimistic vision for the future, that there wouldn't be career barriers based on who you are or where you come from, hence the diverse and varied cast. If you want white people to dominate the cast, then don't watch Star Trek.

Any way, I can't watch it, since in North America it's locked behind a paywall of a stupid and overpriced subscription service. It looks pretty good though. The sets and costumes all look great for TV (although it may just look better because the last premiere I saw buzz about was that ugly as sin Inhumans show) The cast is the main point of interest for me, as it both gets me invested and uninvested at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones and especially Michelle Yeoh, but these are all pretty big names and I'm worried that they may leave the show in the future should a better deal come their way, resulting in either a "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet" deal or just straight up cancellation.
12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17
Well iam a big Star trek fan so iam well aware that Star trek has always had a lot of diversity and never did i say that i want an all white crew.
Seeing as you haven't seen it i'll fill you in, Captain female Asian ,First Officer female black, so that's what i was getting at with the "feminism" thing.
It's just starting to feel forced and over done. By that i mean the lead characters being all female and human females out fighting Klingon warriors in hand to hand combat, etc.
I mean at this stage Star fleet aren't even soldiers, they're just explorers. So it's not like they're masters of combat. But, having said that, in the first two episodes we dont really get to know the character very well just yet.
And there are only two white crew members and they are just back characters that do nothing. But hey, the admiral makes a couple brief appearances and he is a white male! i think he might be hetro sexual too!
But from what i saw of the sneak peak there will be more white people in coming episodes. I like diverse casts but there just seems to be an almost anti white agenda being pushed.
I mean iam fairly sure most star trek fans are white? but i could be wrong?

Anyways i didn't love the first two episodes but i have hope it will get better. I think it has set it up nicely and there is potential. Iam looking forward to more character interaction and development. There was very little to none of this in the opening two episodes.
We did get a bit of back story on the 1st officer but that was about it.


And discussing the show at work i was reminded that there was a Vulcan working with Star fleet in Enterprise so i was wrong about Spock being the first Vulcan to have doen so.
Not sure how i forget about that, she was so dam attractive and god dam that rack of hers!

I do fear that we wont get our big breasted stunner in this series. But time will tell.


One thing that i forgot to mention in OP was that this series again is a prequel. It's set about 10 years before the original series i believe? So it is set after Enterprise. I cant remember how early Enterprise was set. I think it was set quite a bit before the original series?







12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Well iam a big Star trek fan so iam well aware that Star trek has always had a lot of diversity and never did i say that i want an all white crew.
Seeing as you haven't seen it i'll fill you in, Captain female Asian ,First Officer female black, so that's what i was getting at with the "feminism" thing.
It's just starting to feel forced and over done. By that i mean the lead characters being all female and human females out fighting Klingon warriors in hand to hand combat, etc.
I mean at this stage Star fleet aren't even soldiers, they're just explorers. So it's not like they're masters of combat. But, having said that, in the first two episodes we dont really get to know the character very well just yet.
And there are only two white crew members and they are just back characters that do nothing. But hey, the admiral makes a couple brief appearances and he is a white male! i think he might be hetro sexual too!
But from what i saw of the sneak peak there will be more white people in coming episodes. I like diverse casts but there just seems to be an almost anti white agenda being pushed.
I mean iam fairly sure most star trek fans are white? but i could be wrong?

Anyways i didn't love the first two episodes but i have hope it will get better. I think it has set it up nicely and there is potential. Iam looking forward to more character interaction and development. There was very little to none of this in the opening two episodes.
We did get a bit of back story on the 1st officer but that was about it.


And discussing the show at work i was reminded that there was a Vulcan working with Star fleet in Enterprise so i was wrong about Spock being the first Vulcan to have doen so.
Not sure how i forget about that, she was so dam attractive and god dam that rack of hers!

I do fear that we wont get our big breasted stunner in this series. But time will tell.


One thing that i forgot to mention in OP was that this series again is a prequel. It's set about 10 years before the original series i believe? So it is set after Enterprise. I cant remember how early Enterprise was set. I think it was set quite a bit before the original series?


I still don't see the problem. There's nothing wrong with having women in positions of power, the whole point of the universe is that that's something that's not uncommon. And what are you even talking about with the leads all being female? From the cast list on IMDb out of the top 10 highest billed characters for discovery, only 3 are female. That's not all female leads, that's not even 50% female leads. I don't get the complaint about being able to fight Klingons either. Humans have always been capable at going toe to toe with Klingons. Hell, Ryker took out several in one episode with only his bare fists. I can promise you that the "anti-white agenda" is purely your own imagination. Going back to the 10 highest billed characters list, we have 4 people of colour, Michelle Yeoh (also known as the best one) Sonequa Martin Green, Shazad Latif and Malik Pancholi. Whereas for white people, we have 6: Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Kenneth Mitchell, Mary Wiseman and Sam Vartholomeos. So if 60% of the main cast is white, then that's not really an anti-white agenda being pushed, is it? And I checked too make sure those characters were all crew members as per your terms. Well, I made sure they all had space-navy titles at the start of their character names anyway.






12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17

octorockandroll wrote:



I still don't see the problem. There's nothing wrong with having women in positions of power, the whole point of the universe is that that's something that's not uncommon. And what are you even talking about with the leads all being female? From the cast list on IMDb out of the top 10 highest billed characters for discovery, only 3 are female. That's not all female leads, that's not even 50% female leads. I don't get the complaint about being able to fight Klingons either. Humans have always been capable at going toe to toe with Klingons. Hell, Ryker took out several in one episode with only his bare fists. I can promise you that the "anti-white agenda" is purely your own imagination. Going back to the 10 highest billed characters list, we have 4 people of colour, Michelle Yeoh (also known as the best one) Sonequa Martin Green, Shazad Latif and Malik Pancholi. Whereas for white people, we have 6: Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Kenneth Mitchell, Mary Wiseman and Sam Vartholomeos. So if 60% of the main cast is white, then that's not really an anti-white agenda being pushed, is it? And I checked too make sure those characters were all crew members as per your terms. Well, I made sure they all had space-navy titles at the start of their character names anyway.






I know, i had no problem with Captain Janeway. It's just getting over done know and feels a bit forced. Just my opinion.
Iam going to take a wild guess that you still have not watched it? In the first two episodes it's pretty much only the Captain and the 1st officer that get any air time (both females , both lead characters) the other crew members are virtually non existent.
It's only really a Vulcan that seems to council and guide the first officer and the Klingons that get other air time/screen time. One of the alien crew members is in it a bit and one white dude who is a total pansy had a couple lines lol.
I reckon this will change going forward though.

Yeah i agree with you there, you could argue that even male humans wouldn't have the physical strength to do that(hand to hand combat) with a born and bred warrior race. That is larger and physically stronger.
I dont think it is purely only in my imagination. If it was then why are famous comic book characters that have always been white now black or Mexican or were male and are now female?

Yeah as i said in my OP, i think more characters will get introduced in the upcoming episodes and we will actually get to know some of them.
This new series seems to have started with a bang so now i expect less action and more getting to know the characters.

Plus as i've said to you before with anime, i've watched Star Trek since before you were born :P





12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:



I still don't see the problem. There's nothing wrong with having women in positions of power, the whole point of the universe is that that's something that's not uncommon. And what are you even talking about with the leads all being female? From the cast list on IMDb out of the top 10 highest billed characters for discovery, only 3 are female. That's not all female leads, that's not even 50% female leads. I don't get the complaint about being able to fight Klingons either. Humans have always been capable at going toe to toe with Klingons. Hell, Ryker took out several in one episode with only his bare fists. I can promise you that the "anti-white agenda" is purely your own imagination. Going back to the 10 highest billed characters list, we have 4 people of colour, Michelle Yeoh (also known as the best one) Sonequa Martin Green, Shazad Latif and Malik Pancholi. Whereas for white people, we have 6: Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Kenneth Mitchell, Mary Wiseman and Sam Vartholomeos. So if 60% of the main cast is white, then that's not really an anti-white agenda being pushed, is it? And I checked too make sure those characters were all crew members as per your terms. Well, I made sure they all had space-navy titles at the start of their character names anyway.






I know, i had no problem with Captain Janeway. It's just getting over done know and feels a bit forced. Just my opinion.
Iam going to take a wild guess that you still have not watched it? In the first two episodes it's pretty much only the Captain and the 1st officer that get any air time (both females , both lead characters) the other crew members are virtually non existent.
It's only really a Vulcan that seems to council and guide the first officer and the Klingons that get other air time/screen time. One of the alien crew members is in it a bit and one white dude who is a total pansy had a couple lines lol.
I reckon this will change going forward though.

Yeah i agree with you there, you could argue that even male humans wouldn't have the physical strength to do that(hand to hand combat) with a born and bred warrior race. That is larger and physically stronger.
I dont think it is purely only in my imagination. If it was then why are famous comic book characters that have always been white now black or Mexican or were male and are now female?

Yeah as i said in my OP, i think more characters will get introduced in the upcoming episodes and we will actually get to know some of them.
This new series seems to have started with a bang so now i expect less action and more getting to know the characters.

Plus as i've said to you before with anime, i've watched Star Trek since before you were born :P



To touch on the comic book thing, they didn't become women or poc, they had successors. I mean as much as we can abuse the sliding timescale bullshit, there always will have to be a point where a character is retired, whether it be in or out of the story. If it's in the story, then one popular solution is to get a successor for the character.

Dan Garrett gave way to Ted Kord, Al Pratt gave way to Ray Palmer, Jay Garrick gave way to Barry Allen and even Bruce Wayne gave way to Dick Grayson (which should NOT have been temporary, but I digress) it's only natural that these privileges extend to non white male characters too. I mean just look at Wolverine. Laura was a very prominent and extremely popular supporting character to Wolverine for years. Having acted as his sort of sidekick for almost 20 years. I can't think of anyone better to take the mantle. I'm not going to pretend like some authors aren't pushing an agenda (though thats mostly BMB) but I think it only makes sense to give these characters who were set up as successors their chance at, well, success.

And I mean, it's not like it's /just/ white characters whos successors are a different ethnicity. Kasper Cole held the mantle of Black Panther for a long time, for instance.
12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/30/17 , edited 10/1/17
Well to be honest iam not an expert with the comic book/super hero thing. I know people who are though.

Anyways, post your thoughts about the show when you get around to watching it.

648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Iðavöllr
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/2/17
I dunno, there's something about it that puts me off. It's not the cast, I could give less of a shit. I think it's just the way the story seems to progress. Star Trek TOS through Voyager, there was a certain charm to each episode's story that Discovery just doesn't have.
20171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/2/17
'the creators admitted this was going to be a big F U to white males, and Trump supporters. At that the leader of the Klingons supposedly was modeled after the monster known as Trump. (is that really How SJW's see Trump?)

as for the back story The federation shares a lot of similarities to the Borg from older star trek movies and shows. I am having a hard time not looking at the main character side as the bad guys.
12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/2/17

Sawilagar wrote:

I dunno, there's something about it that puts me off. It's not the cast, I could give less of a shit. I think it's just the way the story seems to progress. Star Trek TOS through Voyager, there was a certain charm to each episode's story that Discovery just doesn't have.


Yeah iam hoping that when we get the know the rest of the crew more it will gain some of that charm.


Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

'the creators admitted this was going to be a big F U to white males, and Trump supporters. At that the leader of the Klingons supposedly was modeled after the monster known as Trump. (is that really How SJW's see Trump?)

as for the back story The federation shares a lot of similarities to the Borg from older star trek movies and shows. I am having a hard time not looking at the main character side as the bad guys.




Well remember when one of the Klingons tell the albino Klingon that "his skin is natures mistake"? i couldn't help but take that as a message. An anti white message. But i could be looking into it too much..

Hmm i dont really see what you mean about the similarities between the federation and the borg?
I dont know about bad guys but i guess they're the invaders. Even though they're just exploring and bring peace. I dont think they're trying to assimilate the Klingons? lol
648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Iðavöllr
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/2/17
To me it's looking like a Star Trek: Enterprise 2.0: Michael Burnham-instead-of-T'Pol-hour! kinda thing.
4651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Akihibra
Offline
Posted 10/2/17 , edited 10/2/17
good so far a porchy monkey on a ship not good
12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/2/17 , edited 10/2/17

Sawilagar wrote:

To me it's looking like a Star Trek: Enterprise 2.0: Michael Burnham-instead-of-T'Pol-hour! kinda thing.


I think it started with more action than Enterprise though.


Satorules wrote:

good so far a porchy monkey on a ship not good


Who's the porch monkey?


EDIT: Think i forgot to mention in my previous posts, the female first officers name is Michael. I mean wtf? is this on that whole gender less crap, i mean seriously, a female Michael? Eh i dunno, shits just weird to me. Maybe it's a feminist thing?
4651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Akihibra
Offline
Posted 10/2/17 , edited 10/2/17
Nope the first officer is aboard the Discovery and is a full fledged crew mate now
12666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/2/17 , edited 10/10/17

Satorules wrote:

Nope the first officer is aboard the Discovery and is a full fledged crew mate now


Not sure what you mean? of course the 1st officer is a crew mate?

EDIT: Just watched the third episode. Not bad. I think some of the writing/dialog is pretty bad but the show is building.
*spoiler warning*
At first i was like here we go again, the head security officer on the Discovery is a female, non white lol but yeah the cast is whiter now and the new captain is a white male
Gonna take a little while to get to know the crew i think.

2ND EDIT: After four episodes i think i can say that this show is not great. It's not terrible. I will keep watching.
It dose have a Mass Effect Andromeda feel about it. Some woefully bad dialog/attempted humour. We're sort of getting to know some other characters a bit more now which makes it feel a bit more like Star Trek. As opposed to it just being almost solely based on the one character.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.