First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Oh dear god no (JJ Abrams to make live action Your Name)
6361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The Wired
Online
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17
wow too soon. its barely been over a year since Your Name was released, a US adaption shouldnt be in the works this soon. anyway, there are so many Japanese cultural things in the film, even some of the jokes, not sure how it will be pulled off. JJ what is you doing mane
27125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

Goff256 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends, it seems like a general interest for the actual film from what I have heard, while works like Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Death Note were cash ins by foreign western companies.

Anything without care generally will not work, especially when applied to the artistic medium.


Death Note wasn’t a cash grab. You might hate it, but you don’t spend 50m dollars and tie it to a subscription service if you want to make a lot of money.


Not sure if the overall profit margin is all that important here, rather than simply using rights for a little extra cash, similar to the Fantastic 4 debacle. In other words, I am not sure those traits, while limiting cash flow, is not synonymous with the primary motivation of making currency, especially if one gives it to the creative minds who simply do not care beyond a simple paycheck.

Then again, I doubt many of the highers up understand what will works well with the public, market wise, or do not care.
27125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

HOOfan_1 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends, it seems like a general interest for the actual film from what I have heard, while works like Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Death Note were cash ins by foreign western companies.

Anything without care generally will not work, especially when applied to the artistic medium.


Well, honestly, I don't think Dragon Ball could ever be adapted to a decent live action movie. They would have to twist the source material so much that it ceases to be Dragon Ball.

There have been Western remakes of Japanese properties that are considered pretty decent though. The Yul Brynner Magnificent 7 for one. Although that movie is a little dated now, and I actually prefer the Antoine Fuqua version.

A good film depends on both good source material and good screen writing, casting, directing and production.


I think it all ties down into some sort of investment before we can get into "is it feasible". Of course, Tommy Wiseau's The Room was a work of passion, just a very bad one.

The most common criticism I see of these adaptations, are that the creators do not seem to have any regards for the source material, and I honestly agree.
3309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

The most common criticism I see of these adaptations, are that the creators do not seem to have any regards for the source material, and I honestly agree.


The best thing they could do to make it work is get Makato Shinkai heavily involved.
Michael Crichton wrote the screenplay to Jurassic Park, and I think it is considered one of the best book to movie adaptations ever made.
14477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Goff256 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends, it seems like a general interest for the actual film from what I have heard, while works like Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Death Note were cash ins by foreign western companies.

Anything without care generally will not work, especially when applied to the artistic medium.


Death Note wasn’t a cash grab. You might hate it, but you don’t spend 50m dollars and tie it to a subscription service if you want to make a lot of money.


Not sure if the overall profit margin is all that important here, rather than simply using rights for a little extra cash, similar to the Fantastic 4 debacle. In other words, I am not sure those traits, while limiting cash flow, is not synonymous with the primary motivation of making currency, especially if one gives it to the creative minds who simply do not care beyond a simple paycheck.

Then again, I doubt many of the highers up understand what will works well with the public, market wise, or do not care.


The latest Fantastic Four wasn’t a cash grab either.
27125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

Goff256 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Goff256 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends, it seems like a general interest for the actual film from what I have heard, while works like Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Death Note were cash ins by foreign western companies.

Anything without care generally will not work, especially when applied to the artistic medium.


Death Note wasn’t a cash grab. You might hate it, but you don’t spend 50m dollars and tie it to a subscription service if you want to make a lot of money.


Not sure if the overall profit margin is all that important here, rather than simply using rights for a little extra cash, similar to the Fantastic 4 debacle. In other words, I am not sure those traits, while limiting cash flow, is not synonymous with the primary motivation of making currency, especially if one gives it to the creative minds who simply do not care beyond a simple paycheck.

Then again, I doubt many of the highers up understand what will works well with the public, market wise, or do not care.


The latest Fantastic Four wasn’t a cash grab either.


How do you define a cash grab again? I mean, granted, it was perhaps more of a keeping the rights issue, but do you define cash grab as a big big risk for big profit, if that is what you are saying?

You could chat a bit more, because I am a bit confused as to how you define it, or how those previously mentioned factors don't warrant the label. My definition could be a bit loose, I suppose.
99389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/28/17

bobland wrote:

No such thing exists, and no such thing shall exist


which are you objecting to; the JJ Abrams version one or the Porn version?

cause a case could be made against either one
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/29/17
An atrocity.
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/29/17
Who the fuck asked for this???
20762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/29/17

Goff256 wrote:

People got upset enough to send death threats to the director of the Death Note adaptation. This community is not exactly the most mature.


That's not a question of maturity. That's a question of sanity.

Also, I think even we can all agree the Death Note movie was still a better love story than Twilight.
14477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/29/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Goff256 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Goff256 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends, it seems like a general interest for the actual film from what I have heard, while works like Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Death Note were cash ins by foreign western companies.

Anything without care generally will not work, especially when applied to the artistic medium.


Death Note wasn’t a cash grab. You might hate it, but you don’t spend 50m dollars and tie it to a subscription service if you want to make a lot of money.


Not sure if the overall profit margin is all that important here, rather than simply using rights for a little extra cash, similar to the Fantastic 4 debacle. In other words, I am not sure those traits, while limiting cash flow, is not synonymous with the primary motivation of making currency, especially if one gives it to the creative minds who simply do not care beyond a simple paycheck.

Then again, I doubt many of the highers up understand what will works well with the public, market wise, or do not care.


The latest Fantastic Four wasn’t a cash grab either.


How do you define a cash grab again? I mean, granted, it was perhaps more of a keeping the rights issue, but do you define cash grab as a big big risk for big profit, if that is what you are saying?

You could chat a bit more, because I am a bit confused as to how you define it, or how those previously mentioned factors don't warrant the label. My definition could be a bit loose, I suppose.


It’s hard to define. Every movie wants to make money, sure. But Fantastic Four, as you said, was about rights. Death Note, as weird as it is to say, was somebody's passion project. The thing got denied multiple times and he kept trying. To me, a cash grab is when you take something and you don’t care about anything else but making money. You have no passion for it, you have no other motivations.

Kind of a “fuck it, I’m getting money” sort of mentality.
14477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/17 , edited 9/29/17

cdarklock wrote:


Goff256 wrote:

People got upset enough to send death threats to the director of the Death Note adaptation. This community is not exactly the most mature.


That's not a question of maturity. That's a question of sanity.

Also, I think even we can all agree the Death Note movie was still a better love story than Twilight.


Considering Twilight isn’t really a love story, sure.
33456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/3/17 , edited 10/4/17

lorreen wrote:

It could work.

Maybe.


Maybe in a parallel universe where pigs fly
34220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
This is how the movie will look like by JJ :
2279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / The Mormon land t...
Online
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
No live action Your Name allowed!!! NO!!!

I thought of something funny to go with this: My avatar is of Guren spewing horrible tasting juice from his mouth, so imagine him saying those words above...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.