First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply If Puerto Rico Were White
953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 10/3/17

redokami wrote:


AedonBlackheart wrote:

Three hurricanes back to back, and an earthquake that happened right around the same time as well. Unfortunately no country on this planet has the power to go out immediately. Situations have to be monitored first to make sure the danger has passed before they can tread the water and ground in an area that will most likely remain hazardous for months. Think about what might have happened if they went out right after Irma. Most rescuers/suppliers would be there when the second or third hurricane hit and we would have even more casualties and less supplies to help them with. It's the rule of thumb everywhere: Your safety is more important than others. You can't help people in need if your supply boat is sinking.


they don't think about that lol


and to further my point. Puerto Rico is an island yes? I would assume it is many times easier to ACCESS the mainland, let alone help, than it is to the islands. Again what people aren't seeing is the initial steps. They only look at the news, read the papers and see "relief sent to blah blah blah." They don't see the part where the help groups assess the danger and work out a plan on how they are going to go in and get there in the first place.
21873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17

carabas wrote:


redokami wrote:
Britain france japan etc aren't sending aid
if they were in the same dilemma we would be helping them

Where's France ? *cough* Saint Martin *cough* Saint Barthelemy *cough* Guadeloupe *cough* Martinique *cough*
The US would send aid ? *cough* Saint Martin *cough* Saint Barthelemy *cough* Guadeloupe *cough* Martinique *cough* (the only US presence there was to evacuate US citizens.)
I'm not blaming the US, their first duty is to protect their citizens, likewise don't expect us to aid the most powerful country in the world to deal with a problem in its backyard when we have to deal with a problem of our own half a world away (even if both these problems are next door to each other, the resources we spend in service of our own citizens can't be helping yours, and vice-versa).
Ah yes, in case you didn't know, France has quite a few islands in the region too, most of which impacted by either Irma, Maria, or both.
So get off your high horses, will you ?


https://www.voanews.com/a/dutch-hurricane-st-martin-us-aid/4028337.html
Friend in need

Schuwer said his country is grateful for the help the United States immediately offered and almost just as immediately provided, after the hurricane hit the island.

https://tw.video.yahoo.com/fun-and-odds/us-soldiers-aid-dominica-evacuees-155506377.html http://mayportmirror.jacksonville.com/military-mayport-mirror/2017-09-27/story/usns-spearhead-assists-humanitarian-aid-st-martin#.Wc6RQkJDHmI

Upon arrival at St. Martin, Sailors and civil service mariners offloaded 1,000 meals, ready to eat (MREs) and 81,000 bottles of water from the ship’s mission bay, to the pier.
as for the others, I couldn't find news coverage of them

just because we are America doesn't mean we donthelp people, infact id say we help the most in the world military, money, resource etc, hence why our population is tired of it -besides disasters - and wants politicians to put "America first"
#MAGA #americafirst
18105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17

rawratl wrote:


dhgshdgds wrote:

blah blah fake meme


FYI, I don't mean to nitpick but Donald did not donate 1 million to Puerto Rico. As for the rest of that the jury is still out on how effective and how much of it he was involved with.


close enough on the donations part..

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trumps-inaugural-committee-to-give-3-million-donation-towards-hurricane-relief/article/2635882




9288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17
Eerily reminiscent of Katrina.
25011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/17
Redokami,
First link, about the US and Netherlands.
Second link, about the US and Netherlands.
Third link, about the US evacuating people to French islands.
I'm noticing a pattern... you are aware that France and the Netherlands are different countries, right ?
Maybe you are not aware that Saint Martin is part Dutch (actually that's St Marteen) and part French (in which case it's Saint Martin).
21873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17

carabas wrote:

Redokami,
First link, about the US and Netherlands.
Second link, about the US and Netherlands.
Third link, about the US evacuating people to French islands.
I'm noticing a pattern... you are aware that France and the Netherlands are different countries, right ?
Maybe you are not aware that Saint Martin is part Dutch (actually that's St Marteen) and part French (in which case it's Saint Martin).


I grabbed info about st martin because its the one you mentioned, and as I stated the other islands I couldn't find info about hurricanes/aid

whether or not its French, or dutch is besides the point that I was making and you know it hence why I said allies, named a few and put in etc

when something happens , we send aid, you claimed we weren't helping those islands and I proved you otherwise, what country the islands belong to specifically is besides the point
the point is, if our allies need help we help them



25011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/17
*facepalm* And that's it for me, have fun...
28498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/17

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

Eerily reminiscent of Katrina.


Except this is coming off that backs of 2 major hurricanes on the mainland.
runec 
38572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/17
It took a week for his aids to explain to him that PR is a US territory and he's obligated to respond. Trump always shares basic knowledge that he just learned with us like we didn't know it. Hence him literally getting up there and explaining that PR is an island in the ocean ( "A big ocean. A VERY big ocean." ) as if this was some amazing factoid no one else knew.

When his attention finally was steered onto PR he couldn't say anything about providing it aid without also passive aggressively shitting on it about debt and what not. Finally, the administration denied the initial request to waive the Jones Act. Not ignored it or forgot about it. Denied it. With Trump citing business interests as a reason for declining to lift the Jones Act:


“We’re thinking about that,” Mr. Trump told reporters when asked if he would lift restrictions on foreign vessels’ operations, “but we have a lot of shippers and a lot of people... who work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted. And we have a lot of ships out there right now.”


So you guys can stop acting like there was any sort of valiant effort or act of mercy on his part. The initial request to waive the act was denied by the administration and Trump himself came right out and said that business interests were one of the reasons. He's just caving to the rising bad press about it now. The one thing he actually cares about.



13599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 10/3/17
Aren't they? I thought they were decended from the Spanish.
9288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 9/29/17

runec wrote:

It took a week for his aids to explain to him that PR is a US territory and he's obligated to respond. Trump always shares basic knowledge that he just learned with us like we didn't know it. Hence him literally getting up there and explaining that PR is an island in the ocean ( "A big ocean. A VERY big ocean." ) as if this was some amazing factoid no one else knew.

When his attention finally was steered onto PR he couldn't say anything about providing it aid without also passive aggressively shitting on it about debt and what not. Finally, the administration denied the initial request to waive the Jones Act. Not ignored it or forgot about it. Denied it. With Trump citing business interests as a reason for declining to lift the Jones Act:


“We’re thinking about that,” Mr. Trump told reporters when asked if he would lift restrictions on foreign vessels’ operations, “but we have a lot of shippers and a lot of people... who work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted. And we have a lot of ships out there right now.”


So you guys can stop acting like there was any sort of valiant effort or act of mercy on his part. The initial request to waive the act was denied by the administration and Trump himself came right out and said that business interests were one of the reasons. He's just caving to the rising bad press about it now. The one thing he actually cares about.



Thank you, runec, as usual.


aListers wrote:

Aren't they? I thought they were decended from the Spanish.


Most of them are white Hispanic, but it's still a group Trump and many of his supporters are hostile toward.
12117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/29/17

runec wrote:

It took a week for his aids to explain to him that PR is a US territory and he's obligated to respond. Trump always shares basic knowledge that he just learned with us like we didn't know it. Hence him literally getting up there and explaining that PR is an island in the ocean ( "A big ocean. A VERY big ocean." ) as if this was some amazing factoid no one else knew.

When his attention finally was steered onto PR he couldn't say anything about providing it aid without also passive aggressively shitting on it about debt and what not. Finally, the administration denied the initial request to waive the Jones Act. Not ignored it or forgot about it. Denied it. With Trump citing business interests as a reason for declining to lift the Jones Act:


“We’re thinking about that,” Mr. Trump told reporters when asked if he would lift restrictions on foreign vessels’ operations, “but we have a lot of shippers and a lot of people... who work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted. And we have a lot of ships out there right now.”


So you guys can stop acting like there was any sort of valiant effort or act of mercy on his part. The initial request to waive the act was denied by the administration and Trump himself came right out and said that business interests were one of the reasons. He's just caving to the rising bad press about it now. The one thing he actually cares about.







Mmm, the savory taste of having proven a group of people wrong.

Seriously though, fuck this asshole and his saturday morning cartoon villain fixation with prioritizing money over human lives.
Posted 9/29/17 , edited 10/3/17

octorockandroll wrote:





Mmm, the savory taste of having proven a group of people wrong.

Seriously though, fuck this asshole and his saturday morning cartoon villain fixation with prioritizing money over human lives.


Octorockandroll your initial opinion was "Considering the delay and apathy Trump shows towards giving even the most simple and basic response to the Puerto Rico crisis especially when compared to the hurricanes in Florida and Texas, I would say yes." in reaction to the OP's "If the people in Puerto Rico were white, would more of an effort be made to get resources to the island?" Have you changed your opinion? Whilst I don't agree with what Runec is saying it's infinity more reasonable than what you were trying to argue.
runec 
38572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/17

GrandMasterTime wrote:
Whilst I don't agree with what Runec is saying it's infinity more reasonable than what you were trying to argue.


Well, you can disagree on the matter of my colourful language relating to Trump's ignorance ( which I think is pretty well established at this point to be frank ).

However, it is fact that the administration took a week to respond. That Trump has criticized PR even when speaking of assisting it. That they denied the request to wave the act when pressured by members of the House and Congress. That Trump cited business concerns as a reason for that denial. Then that 24 hours later after more bad press he changed his tune completely and lifted it.

So any further frothing in this thread should proceed with those facts in mind. It probably won't. But it should.




First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.