First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply NFL Protests During National Anthem
45271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
Lately all I've been reading in the opinion sections of news papers (and letters to the editor)
is about how the NFL protests during the US national anthem is insulting the military vets who fought and died for this country. This made me wonder if people really remember which country the flag represents,
and the ideals it strives for. If only we had the smarts to write the most basic summery of those beliefs on the flag,
then maybe people would stop contradicting themselves. So I made an image to remind us all (If it shows up).


In other words: If you're in the Military you're fighting for the US & it's Constitution including it's bill of rights WHICH Includes Freedom of Speech. You shouldn't have fought if you don't want people to have those rights, especially when they do it in the most peaceful way possible. If you're not in the military, then go read the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, learn something!
35750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17

Hehaho1830 wrote:

Lately all I've been reading in the opinion sections of news papers (and letters to the editor)
is about how the NFL protests during the US national anthem is insulting the military vets who fought and died for this country. This made me wonder if people really remember which country the flag represents,
and the ideals it strives for. If only we had the smarts to write the most basic summery of those beliefs on the flag,
then maybe people would stop contradicting themselves. So I made an image to remind us all (If it shows up).


Remove the "$" generated somewhere in the code for your picture to have it appear.

It's an arguably retarded hot-button issue right now. Couldn't care less that people aren't standing for the anthem. That is their prerogative, I only make fun of them because of their reasons for doing so.
9888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Enemy Territory
Online
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
My thoughts: It's a flag. It's a song.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/5/17
men and women in the military are the most benevolence people out there. They are willing to die for their country and people they don't even know!!!

It's something that most people can not do, and yet, they sure like to brag about how ethical they are online though


7735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17

Hehaho1830 wrote:

Lately all I've been reading in the opinion sections of news papers (and letters to the editor)
is about how the NFL protests during the US national anthem is insulting the military vets who fought and died for this country. This made me wonder if people really remember which country the flag represents,
and the ideals it strives for. If only we had the smarts to write the most basic summery of those beliefs on the flag,
then maybe people would stop contradicting themselves. So I made an image to remind us all (If it shows up).


In other words: If you're in the Military you're fighting for the US & it's Constitution including it's bill of rights WHICH Includes Freedom of Speech. You shouldn't have fought if you don't want people to have those rights, especially when they do it in the most peaceful way possible. If you're not in the military, then go read the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, learn something!


ahh so your a pedophile or a pervert then right? Because I would say the majority of popular current anime is ecchi+ and usually under age girls. So since your watching underage animated girls with suggestive themes to say the least your a pedophile right? That's kinda how your argument strikes me. While I understand your general point, I feel the nuance of the NFL players actions have eluded you. Its not that someone is saying the NFL should not speak to issues they feel strongly about. However do so during the pledge of allegiance(to the US) or the national anthem(a song about national pride or a symbol of anyway) is at least in my eyes done in poor taste. For instance why not have the whole team take a knee during a play, when the game starts everyone take a knee and stop the clock. There are many times when you could make a profound statement that don't include the appearance that your unpatriotic.

You are correct though about freedom of speech being guaranteed. However freedoms aren't all that free. The NFL players are free to continue to do as they wish but that does not mean there will not be a price to pay. Financially speaking there is a player whom came out for the anthem/pledge(sorry don't care for sports so don't remember his name) and his merch is flying off the shelves. Furthermore the NFL prides itself on being an "American" sport/struggle. It doesn't bode well for the NFL if the world thinks its nationally loved sport comes just short of burning flags. That said this is only my opinion and perhaps its extreme. take it with a grain of sand. The NFL is a business and people can make their points quite clear with where they spend their money, I wonder how sponsors will react if this continues.
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
Fact that's not really well known:

A U.S. Green Beret named Nate Boyer actually convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel, rather than sit, while protesting police brutality during the national anthem. Kaepernick had been protesting for weeks prior to the kneel and after a conversation about what is acceptable, quote:


We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.


http://www.snopes.com/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/


Reporter: So many people see the flag as a symbol of the military. How do you view it and what do you say to those people?

Kaepernick: I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That’s not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn’t holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That’s something that’s not happening. I’ve seen videos, I’ve seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they have fought for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That’s not right.



There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police. So that’s a large part of it and they’re government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that’s something that this country has to change. There’s things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher. You have people that practice law and are lawyers and go to school for eight years, but you can become a cop in six months and don’t have to have the same amount of training as a cosmetologist. That’s insane. Someone that’s holding a curling iron has more education and more training than people that have a gun and are going out on the street to protect us.



I thought about how far I’d come and the men I’d fought alongside who didn’t make it back. I thought about those overseas who were risking their lives at that very moment. I selfishly thought about what I had sacrificed to get to where I was, and while I knew I had little to no chance of making the Seahawks’ roster as a 34-year-old rookie, I was trying.

That moment meant so much more to me than even playing in the game did, and to be honest, if I had noticed my teammate sitting on the bench, it would have really hurt me.

I’m not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It’s your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I’d be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I’ve never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you’ve gone through is as ignorant as someone who’s never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it’s like to go to war.
Humms 
13828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
oooo look at me I make millions of dollars, better take a knee

If you're in the military, you're fighting to take everyones resources. You don't fight for a country anymore. We have all settled our borders, we have all made it clear that we have what we have, but then you forget people don't think like that, they hate the white man, they hate Trump.

What are we fighting for now? To not have to pay for education since you're in the army. What does the army even represent without their firepower? Ya we get it, police officers don't die for their country either, or fire fighters. There are still terrorists in the world, Why do you think they want children to watch the Avengers? cause America has Heros.

This has nothing to do with Football. This all has a bigger plan you aren't seeing.

I'm being serious guys, you just cant comprehend

Why would america not stand for their national Anthem? Just think about it. They want america to look weak in the eyes of the enemy so they can take their focus off them.

mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17

Humms wrote:

Why would america not stand for their national Anthem? Just think about it. They want america to look weak in the eyes of the enemy so they can take their focus off them.



Because fighting for net gains is totally a characteristic of weak individuals.
1081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17

Humms wrote:

Why would america not stand for their national Anthem? Just think about it. They want america to look weak in the eyes of the enemy so they can take their focus off them.



There's a lot about America to not be proud about these days.

I'd say the people standing are fine with the way things are.

And the people kneeling understand things are not right, and imagine an America that could actually live up to its ideals.

Also, ironically if you think about it... kneeling has always been seen as a sign of more respect than standing. You kneel before royalty, and you kneel in church.
11189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/5/17
When kneeling first started, I didn't agree with it, but I understood why players made that choice and respected it. But now it's turned into a protest of Donald Trump. And I realize that's because of his divisive comments. He's just as good at manipulating liberals as he is conservatives, and he makes everything about himself so he can rule the news cycle. But I think taking a knee to protest the president is completely disrespectful and sets a terrible precedent. I loved watching football, but I won't watch the NFL anymore this season.
12253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/5/17

SemiderangedParrot wrote:

When kneeling first started, I didn't agree with it, but I understood why players made that choice and respected it. But now it's turned into a protest of Donald Trump. And I realize that's because of his divisive comments. He's just as good at manipulating liberals as he is conservatives, and he makes everything about himself so he can rule the news cycle. But I think taking a knee to protest the president is completely disrespectful and sets a terrible precedent. I loved watching football, but I won't watch the NFL anymore this season.


More like the orange turd has turned it into About Him. It still stands for Police brutality and how blacks could have it better, but the [Redacted] has made it about me me me me me and his base eats that shit up.

Also, no...you can still love your country and disagree with the person in office. You don't have to agree with the president. I certainly don't, I'll never be "loyal" to that pos.
45271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17

dulun18 wrote:

men and women in the military are the most benevolence people out there. They are willing to die for their country and people they don't even know!!!

It's something that most people can not do, and yet, they sure like to brag about how ethical they are online though




I have respect for people in the military, but my point is that veterans don't have a monopoly on flag symbolism, and if anything have forgotten that the flag is a stand in for not just our country, but our ideals as well. Now when I say veterans though, I doubt many who bring up the protests as being disrespectful to veterans are even veterans in the first place though, and are just sticking words into the veterans mouths.
1081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17

SemiderangedParrot wrote:

When kneeling first started, I didn't agree with it, but I understood why players made that choice and respected it. But now it's turned into a protest of Donald Trump. And I realize that's because of his divisive comments. He's just as good at manipulating liberals as he is conservatives, and he makes everything about himself so he can rule the news cycle. But I think taking a knee to protest the president is completely disrespectful and sets a terrible precedent. I loved watching football, but I won't watch the NFL anymore this season.


I think the terrible precedent regarding disrespecting a president was actually set, ironically, by the current president.

He was way more disrespectful to the previous president than just kneeling down. And yes, his disrespect towards the previous president's ethnicity manipulated both liberals and conservatives. Because that is what he excels at.
Humms 
13828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/5/17

21stCenturyGemini wrote:


Humms wrote:

Why would america not stand for their national Anthem? Just think about it. They want america to look weak in the eyes of the enemy so they can take their focus off them.



There's a lot about America to not be proud about these days.

I'd say the people standing are fine with the way things are.

And the people kneeling understand things are not right, and imagine an America that could actually live up to its ideals.

Also, ironically if you think about it... kneeling has always been seen as a sign of more respect than standing. You kneel before royalty, and you kneel in church.


So taking a knee will begin to fix things? I think they just want people on social media up in arms about it so we can have another news segment, and distract us from the actual problem. Now people are more worried about football, not America.

It makes sense, I think I mean, what are you really going to solve by taking a knee? It just gives people something to complain about. It's not like football players want to give up millions off their pay check to change something, right? Do you really think these people actually give a fuck. I bet you if they took their pay checks away, they would stand in every game, and I know that for a fact. People don't do anything unless they are living in a world of absolute shit, and I mean covered head to toe with only a pencil hole to breathe from. I don't think America is that far gone, I really don't.

I think America wants to play with people like puppets on a string
Canute 
33442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/17 , edited 10/4/17
Donald Trump essentially manipulated the media for an easy won on this issue. Most Americans love the flag, and the flag represents liberty to not only Americans but even people around the world. The liberty represented by the flag is closely aligned with the sacrifices made by our men in uniform, because they defend the country and laws which grant us liberty.

Naturally, one of these liberties is the right to free speech. Yet, there are consequences for exercising one's freedom of speech. Americans are fine with there being consequences except when its government censorship, people suffering violence for speaking out, or a person from their side of the political aisle suffers consequences. Conservatives clamor about free speech when people like James Damore are fired for a memo discussing differences between men and women; liberals assert freedom of speech in issues like players taking a knee during the national anthem.

However, NFL players don't have complete freedom of speech rights while they work for the NFL. They can't taunt other players or use profanity. Personal messages on their uniforms and other uniform changes to raise awareness for certain causes are not allowed. As for the national anthem, the rule book says: "During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking." So, the NFL could likely fine, fire, or suspend the players kneeling: they once fined Frank Gore for wearing socks which were too low!

Even if Kaepernick tried to be respectful in choosing to take a knee over sitting down, the image of him kneeling for the national anthem while others are standing still looks bad. People judge by the image because the image is what they see on TV--not his reasoning. The image appears disrespectful. He wanted to raise awareness about police brutality, the national anthem is a bad choice of venue. He appears to be casting aspersions on America, when his protest should confer the idea of America needing to live up to its principles.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.