First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World Discussion
Guest Pass Litter Moderator
121166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/7/17
Hadn't been familiar with this at all.

First impression: That was pretty beautiful.

Earned its way into the "plan to keep watching" section of my queue.
32 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/7/17
Man, I was so excited when I saw they were rebooting this. One of my friends managed to snag a proof read copy of the first book in English back when I was in Jr. High, and I loved the first anime.

It's not as bad as I was afraid it'd be. Reboots always put me on edge. They're using better music than what was used in the PVs. That just didn't go with the tone of the series at all and made me the most worried with how it would turn out in the end.

For me, A Land Permitting Murder was never the most interesting of the stories to begin with, but I think it adapted pretty well. The worst part though was the prologue and epilogue. Lost in a Forest's dialogue was really clunky, and I know I've seen it done better.

It'll be very interesting seeing them redo Colosseum. With that, we'll have a full comparison to the original anime. I'm curious if they'll keep the LN's ending, of if they'll alter it slightly like the first anime did.
7935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/7/17
This had such a wondrous atmosphere. Not familiar or knew about previous iterations, is there any streaming sites that have it? Seems like an adventure/slice of life show, with a bit of drama and action mixed in. Kino seems quite pleasant and polite. He (or she?) seems to have an appetite for knowledge; to the point that striking conversations traveling strangers is the norm. The talking motorcycle was a bit odd. Curious if that has a mechanical or magical explanation.
28041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/7/17
Okay...fuck the anime community. Why do people have to view this anime's first episode through a small minded and heavily politicized view, one that I find is hardly contingent to the original idea? Why do they think it is a good argument to use for gun ownership, or address it as such?




Fuck the community. Fuck those jerks in General Discussion. Fuck everyone. I am angered. I just want to sit down and watch this anime. I could avoid comments. After all, they are spoilers. I just hate this mentality that spreads like influenza.
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Okay...fuck the anime community. Why do people have to view this anime's first episode through a small minded and heavily politicized view, one that I find is hardly contingent to the original idea? Why do they think it is a good argument to use for gun ownership, or address it as such?




Fuck the community. Fuck those jerks in General Discussion. Fuck everyone. I am angered. I just want to sit down and watch this anime. I could avoid comments. After all, they are spoilers. I just hate this mentality that spreads like influenza.


I donno. A good story makes you think. I suppose it's no good if people just kneejerk to their preset positions. I've always found kino's little countries to be fascinating tales of human flaws.


77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

Austershalin wrote:

This had such a wondrous atmosphere. Not familiar or knew about previous iterations, is there any streaming sites that have it? Seems like an adventure/slice of life show, with a bit of drama and action mixed in. Kino seems quite pleasant and polite. He (or she?) seems to have an appetite for knowledge; to the point that striking conversations traveling strangers is the norm. The talking motorcycle was a bit odd. Curious if that has a mechanical or magical explanation.


Going by the back story. Kino is a she. even though Kino is a man's name she took from another traveller. I've never seen an Ep that explains the talking motorcycle.


qwueri 
24848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Fuck the community. Fuck those jerks in General Discussion. Fuck everyone. I am angered. I just want to sit down and watch this anime. I could avoid comments. After all, they are spoilers. I just hate this mentality that spreads like influenza.


Love you too, PV
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

qwueri wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Fuck the community. Fuck those jerks in General Discussion. Fuck everyone. I am angered. I just want to sit down and watch this anime. I could avoid comments. After all, they are spoilers. I just hate this mentality that spreads like influenza.


Love you too, PV ;)


Who reads episode comments anyway? I'm here for the anime.


28041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Okay...fuck the anime community. Why do people have to view this anime's first episode through a small minded and heavily politicized view, one that I find is hardly contingent to the original idea? Why do they think it is a good argument to use for gun ownership, or address it as such?




Fuck the community. Fuck those jerks in General Discussion. Fuck everyone. I am angered. I just want to sit down and watch this anime. I could avoid comments. After all, they are spoilers. I just hate this mentality that spreads like influenza.


I donno. A good story makes you think. I suppose it's no good if people just kneejerk to their preset positions. I've always found kino's little countries to be fascinating tales of human flaws.




I hate people to view the anime through a political paradigm, to attach connotations of "liberal" or "conservative" to ideas that preceded them. Modern politics isn't philosophy, or ethics, or any sort of intelligent debate, it is the antithetical cancer to anything resembling critical thought.

And I am implied to be for gun control measures. Fuck. I hate the idea of politics being discussed in an anime whose points differ from simply political pandering, but something beyond it, by cutting to the ideas themselves. No labels to be disgusted at, just ideas.
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


I hate people to view the anime through a political paradigm, to attach connotations of "liberal" or "conservative" to ideas that preceded them. Modern politics isn't philosophy, or ethics, or any sort of intelligent debate, it is the antithetical cancer to anything resembling critical thought.


Well I have to agree with you there. Politics seems to be without thought these days. Just a bunch a loud dogs barking at each other. There is no debate no conversation just attack and counter attack.


7581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/8/17
-Well the biggest question I had coming to this thread was "is Kino a boy? Because I thought he was a girl" and it seems that I was right. Hermes calling Kino a "he" and hearing her use "boku" confused me

-I figured that the blond guy was going to get nailed for theft, since murder would be not prohibited as such but would be punished as theft. I'm pleased the actual rationale behind it was not quite what I expected

-It seems like other people can hear Hermes talking, I thought maybe 'only Kino can hear him' kind of thing.

-I actually found the fictional society presented here pretty unnerving

I watched the original series a few years ago but for whatever reason it didn't make much of an impression on me at the time. Looking forward to seeing how this new anime goes.

77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/8/17

cyberfaust wrote:

-Well the biggest question I had coming to this thread was "is Kino a boy? Because I thought he was a girl" and it seems that I was right. Hermes calling Kino a "he" and hearing her use "boku" confused me

-I figured that the blond guy was going to get nailed for theft, since murder would be not prohibited as such but would be punished as theft. I'm pleased the actual rationale behind it was not quite what I expected

-It seems like other people can hear Hermes talking, I thought maybe 'only Kino can hear him' kind of thing.

-I actually found the fictional society presented here pretty unnerving

I watched the original series a few years ago but for whatever reason it didn't make much of an impression on me at the time. Looking forward to seeing how this new anime goes.



Well in the orginal series Kino is a girl who pretty much assumes the identity of the male traveller who saves her life at the cost of his own. And if you found the first episode unerving... well.,, Kino's hometown is special.

18866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/8/17
not sure how i feel about a reboot. the origonal was awesome.
glad to see kino is still hot in an andrygonous sort of way.
38418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/8/17
Seriously, people should stop talking about stuff from the first series. If they reboot everything from the first series, you are spoiling for first time viewers
867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/8/17
I found it interesting and entertaining. First off, this is my first intro to Kino. And I can see that the series has possibilities and can be a lot of fun just as long as one doesn't take it too seriously. Because like this episode, while a society that doesn't prohibit murder might work in theory and fiction, it wouldn't work in reality. Because in any society there are always those who are more equal than others....and now add the right to kill into the mix. But it is fun to play around with the idea.

But if I was to conclude something from this episode, I'd say perhaps that the counter to violence in society is a stronger sense of shared social identity instead of individualism.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.