First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Dieting and Exercise
1792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 10/8/17
At the end of the day, it all boils down to self-discipline and restraint.

any diet, any exercise regimen, ya just got to do it, keep doing it, and don't curve off the path.

Note for dieting, don't make a temp diet designed to lose weight, make a diet that you can eat for a good 10+ years. Diet is not a temp weight loss, it is a change in the way you eat. Otherwise, you will end up going back to your old diet once you lose the weight, and guess what.

You will get it all back again. :D

Now if I ever wanted to temporarily lose weight, I take a trip up the south hill neighborhood in my town. easily 40+ blocks of some pretty sharp uphill climbing, but that is where the most beautiful houses, natural elements, and god dam finger licking good Kentucky fried chicken is. When I wake up the next day, suddenly I need a belt. :P

(note, actual handmade KFC, not the shitty restaurant chain.)
1156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101
Offline
Posted 10/8/17
Self discipline is a god-mode difficulty. Anyone who achieve this can request my award for God title.
Souk11 
7007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/8/17
First, speak to your doctor and check your benefits. Many plans offer to cover dietitian services, and if you live in Ontario, like me, some are even covered by OHIP. This is how I started eating better, which will account for 99.9% of your weight loss. I've been working out regularly for years now, but I only started to lose weight (60 pounds) after I started eating better.

Diet (99.9%):

Going on a diet should be thought of as a lifestyle change, and not just a temporary fix. Technically you could just count calories until you lose what you want to lose, while eating whatever you want in smaller portions, but then you'll be more likely to gain it back after you stop "dieting".

Don't forget that the word diet really describes the food you regularly eat and NOT only healthy food. When you "go on a diet", this should be thought of as a change for the rest of your life. This mentality is hard to maintain, something I continue to struggle with, but it will be the factor that maintains your weight after you have reached your goal.

As for going vegetarian/vegan, you do you. I personally do not have the will power to maintain that lifestyle (lifestyle, not diet), nor do I have the desire to go that route in the first place.

You also need to take into account all your goals. Do you just want to focus on weight loss, or include building muscle and strength? Meat is the best source of protein, so it will be easier, but not necessary, to make those gains if lean meat is in you diet. Cutting out excess sugar and low fiber carbs should be the first step, followed by a boost in protein.

Speaking of protein, there are two main thoughts on how much protein to eat per day. Either 0.5g per pound of body weight for weight loss, or 1g per pound of body weight for muscle gain. I would advertise the later as building muscle helps incredibly with weight loss.

Exercise (0.1%):

I personally love the gym. I'm in there at least five days a week focusing on powerlifting. The reason I chose this is because I honestly find it fun to push myself and break my previous records, and the key thing is to find something fun!

Go biking, hiking, join a beer league (don't drink too much of the beer) or play pick-up hockey or basketball, even just swim laps in a pool. Get moving in a way you enjoy.

There was a time when I was unmotivated to ever go to the gym, but what helped me was getting a good personal trainer (be careful, some of them really don't know what they are doing). If you can afford it, usually they are expensive, it can be a great investment to sign up with one. A good trainer will get you in the gym at least three days a week with them, and a couple extra days on your own for light cardio. They should also teach you what you need to know so you'll be able to go alone once your contract is up.

Another important thing to understand is everyone in the gym is focused on their own workouts and do not care about you. Once I understood this, as someone who once weighed 294lbs, it made going in much more comfortable. It even felt good when complete strangers at the gym who see you everyday come up to you and comment on how much progressed you made. I met someone the other day at the gym who was in great shape, but had a similar story to mine. He used to be over 300 pounds, but now he's under 200.

Finally, look into tools that can help you track your progress. I use a Fitbit to track my heart rate and calorie output, and the MyFitnessPal (free) to track my diet and specific workouts. Fitbit and MyFitnessPal can even be synced together for better tracking results.

TL;DR:

1. Speak to your doctor and check work and provincial/state health care plans to see if dietitian services are covered.
2. Dieting (99.9% of weight loss) is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix.
3. Exercise is only 0.1% of overall weight loss. Find something fun to do to keep you active, and personal training is a good option if you can afford it.
4. MyFitnessPal is a free app to track your diet and exercise. Tracking your workouts and what you eat is one of the best ways to keep yourself focused.

Good luck! I know it is not easy!
186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / United States of...
Offline
Posted 10/8/17
I've been a vegetarian for seven years now. Personally ever since I was a kid I preferred vegetables and fruits over meat, like my parents would reward me with a can of spinach as a treat when I did my homework (now I dislike spinach). But yeah, I might have just been made to become vegetarian.

I didn't do research. I just switched what I was eating one day. The hardest part is when people taunt you with steak and ridicule you. Some people feel intimidated when they learn you're vegetarian as though you look down on them. Even though you aren't telling them what they're doing is wrong or anything like that, just hearing you say you're vegetarian will upset people. I believe they just assume you are challenging them or something? Another hard part is being around a bunch of people eating something and feeling isolated. It would be so easy to get a plate of whatever too.

Recently I have been gaining weight, and I'm not sure why. Might be due to medications I was on or thyroid acting up again, but don't be fooled you can totally gain weight while being vegetarian. My sister was vegetarian with me for three years, but she would eat popcorn or pizza and rarely eat fruits and vegetables. I have a six month old puppy and she is finally at a good age to take her for hikes and long walks, so I expect to be losing weight pretty soon. She was spayed last week, and it just sucks not having my walking buddy right now.

You can buy "fake" meats. Morningstar has some great products. I made their barbeque "wings" and put some of it on a sandwhich with honey mustard salad, sliced tomato, and it was yummy! Try the recipes on the websites for the fake meat company websites or look at recipes online. I've been trying my hand at Jamaican food which is usually easy and fun. Roasted vegetables are my jam. Oven at 350. cut up bell peppers, onions, garlic, and whatever else (some things take longer to cook though), then put them on a pan with tin foil on it to go in oven. Before they go in the oven, drizzle olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, or whatever other sauces you frickin want and put it in the oven. Just watch to see when they look cooked. You can also sautee your vegetables in a pan with oil of some kind. It's good on top of soups (especially ramen but not the junk food kind of ramen). Anyway, try to cook more yourself or stick to healthy vegetarian frozen meals ( like Amy's if they have it).

Also I leave tabs open on my computer with a list of healthy snack ideas for when I get hungry. Apples dipped in jam instead of a fruit dip (has less calories and fat). Portion size the snacks in front of you instead of having a whole bag. You'll eat it slower.
186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / United States of...
Offline
Posted 10/8/17
Browse websites for recipes or inspiration like
itdoesnttastelikechicken.com
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/vegetarian-ramen-no-meat-still-tasty_n_5822062.html
http://www.chooseveg.com/
the vegetarian times

PINTEREST!!
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/8/17
I used to be pretty overweight as a kid. I think my max was around 220 lbs, and that was in 8th grade. Now I hover around a healthy 170-175 at 6'2" and getting here has been quite the journey, so I'll try to keep it to the basics.

During high school, I moved states and lived with a friend in order to shoot for some state-specific scholarships, and she and her family were all struggling with weight issues and decided to diet together. This was the first time I was introduced to wholesome, whole-foods-based meals. It was also the first time I had seen meals treated with some aspect of ceremony, meaning everyone sat together and ate together at least once a day. This taught me that eating good food makes me feel good, and I was pretty blown away by how my appetite regulation changed soon after adopting these new habits. So my first piece of advice is try to focus on whole (i.e. unprocessed) foods, whether that's cooking more yourself or making better informed choices when you're eating out somewhere.

I have also practiced yoga six days a week for about seven years now, and as a result I've chosen to go vegan for ethical reasons. Although there is no distinct health benefit of a vegan diet that you can't get with a sensible non-vegan one, it does force you to move toward more wholesome foods, and this is why I think we're seeing so many people try it out. However, I would strongly advise you to educate yourself on basic nutrition (try to avoid all of the woo-science or any fad diets like fully raw or super high-carb or super high-fat). Use Cronometer, it's a great app (browser-based app is free, mobile app is $2.99) that has a HUGE comprehensive database of foods and their nutritional profiles, and the mobile version has a barcode scanner for easy input. You can track all of your nutrients on here, including caloric intake. You can even set it up to tell you how to maintain a certain caloric deficit each day (i.e. "you have this many more calories until you reach the limit you've set for today")

If you stop eating meat, TAKE A DAILY B12 SUPPLEMENT. I just take a multivitamin that has it in the mix. Otherwise getting your required nutrients isn't too tough, with a little bit of effort.

In terms of exercise, my number one piece of advice is do what feels good. Switch it up. Find something that makes you want to come back for more. For me it's running, and when I first started I absolutely HATED it. But then I discovered the power of breaking things down into manageable pieces, and I slowly but surely made my way from 1 mile to 5 miles per run. I absolutely love it. I still have days when I don't get around to it, or days when I'm lazy and just don't. We're only human Also, getting a tracker like a Fitbit or something similar really helped me get a much better picture of how much certain things really add up to total energy spent by the end of the day (take the stairs!).

Lastly I'd just like to remind you that it is definitely a journey finding your way to good health and being at peace in your own body. It's a gradual process full of trial and error, so remember to be kind to yourself. And when you drop the ball, just take a moment to laugh, be grateful for the chance to take care of yourself, and pick it back up!

I really hope this helps you out

Peace
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 10/9/17

bebophitchhiker wrote:

My Rules of Life #4: Eat right, excercise, die anyway.
Rule #7- Good health is merely the slowest rate that you die.

So you might as well enjoy life. Like Jim Morrison said, "No one here gets out alive."



It isn’t merely “The slowest rate at which you die.”, that’s just an extremely narrow way of looking at it. This is a more accurate representation of both options...

1.) Eat in a healthy way and feel free inside of your own body.
Vs
2.) Eat without restraint and feel like a prisoner inside of your own body.

“... until you die.” could be added to the end of that.

Plenty of healthy individuals still eat all sorts of foods that they love and enjoy. Heck, I’ll still enjoy an all-you-can-eat restaurant from time to time. Moderation is an incredibly useful discipline for all aspects of life. Resigning yourself to bad health “because you’ll enjoy life more” is not only wrong, but it’s also sad.
10627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/9/17
I have lost about 70lbs and working on more.

My advice is to make one small habit changs at a time. Stuff you can stick with. My first was cutting out all soda.
10627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/9/17

JustSnilloc wrote:


bebophitchhiker wrote:

My Rules of Life #4: Eat right, excercise, die anyway.
Rule #7- Good health is merely the slowest rate that you die.

So you might as well enjoy life. Like Jim Morrison said, "No one here gets out alive."



It isn’t merely “The slowest rate at which you die.”, that’s just an extremely narrow way of looking at it. This is a more accurate representation of both options...

1.) Eat in a healthy way and feel free inside of your own body.
Vs
2.) Eat without restraint and feel like a prisoner inside of your own body.

“... until you die.” could be added to the end of that.

Plenty of healthy individuals still eat all sorts of foods that they love and enjoy. Heck, I’ll still enjoy an all-you-can-eat restaurant from time to time. Moderation is an incredibly useful discipline for all aspects of life. Resigning yourself to bad health “because you’ll enjoy life more” is not only wrong, but it’s also sad.


Funny, because I ofyen use all you can eat restaurants to maintain my diet. Still takes restraint. It is easier and cheaper for me to fill up on healthy stuff like veggies, and throw is a lean meat and a small dose of carbs than it is to actually pay for those same veggies and make dinner every night.

But, I mean if you are not going in and eating three plates of fried rice and sweet saucy meats with a tub or two of soda, it doesn't matter where you eat.
66 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / America
Offline
Posted 10/9/17
HI everyone. I have lost 67lbs exactly since July 4th. How is everyone here losing weight? I am doing the ketogenic diet. I had only 1 cheat day over this whole period, which just happened to be last Tuesday... I weigh in tomorrow, but I don't expect to have lost much if anything. Those cheat days can knock you out for a whole week.

Oddly enough I do a lot of walking and I can eat barely anything some days, or even just a very small breakfast then fast until the next day... sometimes I lose a few pounds per week (sometimes as much as 7), sometimes barely anything. It can be tough. It really shows how much of weight loss has to do with things that are outside your control, possibly stress, sleep, etc. All I know is, it is very unusual to eat almost nothing and not lose a lot of weight.

Obviously something is working though because like I said I am 67lbs down, and I am going to keep at it even though it can be a little torturous especially with the fasting, but I decided I was serious about doing this and I am not going to stop or give up.
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 10/10/17

HolyDrumstick wrote:


JustSnilloc wrote:
Plenty of healthy individuals still eat all sorts of foods that they love and enjoy. Heck, I’ll still enjoy an all-you-can-eat restaurant from time to time. Moderation is an incredibly useful discipline for all aspects of life.


Funny, because I ofyen use all you can eat restaurants to maintain my diet. Still takes restraint. It is easier and cheaper for me to fill up on healthy stuff like veggies, and throw is a lean meat and a small dose of carbs than it is to actually pay for those same veggies and make dinner every night.

But, I mean if you are not going in and eating three plates of fried rice and sweet saucy meats with a tub or two of soda, it doesn't matter where you eat.


Ooh, I had never considered doing that before. I like the idea!
Humms 
12719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Online
Posted 10/10/17
I've lost 10 pounds just by doing nothing, well for me it's nothing. I can easily lose 10 more pounds in 2-3 weeks. It's very easy, people just need to stop whining and bitching. You don't ease into something, you just do it. Cut the junk food, the snacks, the carbs, the packaged foods, the microwavable foods, all the sodium.

I realized long ago when I was like 13.

It's not even being lazy! Do you know how hard it is to just sit down and be a fat ass and eat junk food all day. That's the complete opposite of lazy, people just find excuses not to eat healthy, but they love cramming shit down their throat because it fills that void in your life.

Gimme a break. Do a shit load of cardio, and eat healthy. Put down the chip bag and chocolate bars.

If everyone eased into losing weight, they will just keep finding excuses to ease out of it, day after day. Need to light a fire under people just to keep them focused. Just don't start crying because it's too hard or you've already quit
10627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17

Humms wrote:

I've lost 10 pounds just by doing nothing, well for me it's nothing. I can easily lose 10 more pounds in 2-3 weeks. It's very easy, people just need to stop whining and bitching. You don't ease into something, you just do it. Cut the junk food, the snacks, the carbs, the packaged foods, the microwavable foods, all the sodium.

I realized long ago when I was like 13.

It's not even being lazy! Do you know how hard it is to just sit down and be a fat ass and eat junk food all day. That's the complete opposite of lazy, people just find excuses not to eat healthy, but they love cramming shit down their throat because it fills that void in your life.

Gimme a break. Do a shit load of cardio, and eat healthy. Put down the chip bag and chocolate bars.

If everyone eased into losing weight, they will just keep finding excuses to ease out of it, day after day. Need to light a fire under people just to keep them focused. Just don't start crying because it's too hard or you've already quit


All due respect, I think you are an idiot. I have lost 70 in the past year. I started by just cutting out soda. When the weight loss slowed down, I started watching carbs and counting calories. When it slowed down again, I added in strength training. I am about to start a bit of cardio.

See, you think it is easy because you never developed bad habits. I tried "just doing it" numerous times and failed. This HAS worked for me, and not only have I lost weight, but kept it off, and did it healthy. Because I developed good habits that you have had from a young age.

Stop being a dick, and spreading misinformation, please.
256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/10/17
This is just my own anecdotal experience, and is not exactly in line with your quest, but I felt I should share it anyways.
I love encouraging people to get in better shape, because it changed my life, and I know too many people with serious health issues.

I have been a nerd/gamer since my early teens, and I did not use to like meat, which contributed to me growing up into a stick figure.
I love junk food and sodas, and I'm lazy as it gets... So as you can imagine, I wasn't in the best condition by the time I reached my 20s.
I was still slim thanks to a fast metabolism, but I was unhealthy and tired and I still had pimples in my early 20s (sodas and chips do that).

Around 24, I realized I was not comfortable with my appearance, and how anyone could identify me as a no-life nerd at a glance.
So I took up working out to try and lose my pathetic stick figure physique.
Knowing my lack of discipline, I knew I would not be able to maintain a diet, so I didn't even try.

I DID strike off one of my biggest health issues by not drinking sodas anymore. I had major withdrawals (all the caffeine and sugar) for a while, but after 6 months without, I allowed myself to start drinking them on "special occasions" again. I barely ever want to drink them anymore, especially now that I know how badly they were messing upmy sleep and energy.
So if I had ONE tip above any other to give to anyone who's lazy and lacks discipline, but wants to improve their health a bit ? Stop drinking soft drinks.

On to the workouts.
I hate the gym. I suspect most of us who have issues with our appearance, are not fond of the idea of going to the gym.
So I found a workout program I could do in the privacy of my home. And because I am lazy and I know I will find an excuse not to do it, I was especially interested in this 30-minutes workout. It's easy to justify not doing 1 hour (I'm sick/tired/sore, it's late, etc etc.), but it's difficult to justify not doing 30 minutes.

30 minutes is one episode of anime. 30 minutes is the average time I waited around for a raid to start after the posted time. 30 minutes is really not much at all.

Enter P90X3. P90X is a joke to a lot of people because of their silly adds, and admittedly, the original P90X was... not for beginners (I tried it.) But I kid you not, P90X3 is a godsend.
It's 30 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week. The workouts are really varied so you don't get bored doing the same move over and over.
I had to kick myself in the butt to start the workout, but once I started the video, it was very easy to just get lost in it and before I knew it, it was over.
They also have "modifiers" as they call them, for just about every exercise. This is the version you do when you aren't quite able to do the full-on hard-mode version. And because they're videos, I was able to just pause it for a minute if I was trashed, or fast forward to the next move if I could only do a few reps of any one move (This happened a lot in the beginning. You can't expect to keep up with the people on screen for a good while.). Watch some of the P90X3 promotional content if you want motivation hahaha

So anyways, on the results.
In a little over two months of doing the program, without altering my junk food diet at all (except sodas), I lost the little belly I had been nurturing, showing a full on 6-pack (okay it was more like 4 and a hint of 2 more), and gained 15 pounds of muscle.
I've taken my workouts down a notch to 2-3 per week since then, and I look fantastic.
I completely changed my wardrobe accordingly. Nobody thinks "nerd" when they seem me now, and I know I'm much healthier than before. Honestly, the better shape I got into, the more I kind of naturally held back my junk food habits a little. I still eat a lot of it, but from time to time I go "nah, not today". Because it would be a shame to ruin what I have.


Now, you might think, that isn't about weight loss.
But it is. Firstly, even though I was skinny, I had begun developing a belly, and it went away completely. Secondly, my sister worked out alongside me, and her goal was weight loss. It took a long time (muscles weigh more than fat) to show on the balance, but her measurements changed fairly quickly.
Furthermore, muscle gain is by far the best long-term weight-loss strategy. If you do some research you will see what I mean. That's why I can eat junk food and still be fit. That's why so many women complain that men have it easier when it comes to weight loss.
(Sidenote: Women should lift some weights too, for weight loss. Cardio on its own is practically a waste of time)

Now, I'm not trying to sell you a product, I don't work for them. But it worked like absolute magic for me, so of course I recommend it to everyone, given a chance. I should mention, I got my P90X3 from a Bay of Pirates, as it were. The package is expensive otherwise, and you already have to buy some basic equipment. I have since then bought it but only because I was so happy with it. Try it the free way first to see how you like it.

So just a few tips to finish, if you decide to give this a try.
1) Stop drinking sodas. Seriously, just the insane withdrawals should teach you how nasty they are (it's like quitting hard drugs, for fuck's sake).
2) Get a workout partner. It's too easy to find an excuse not to workout today, unless you have someone else keeping you honest. You can motivate each other and it's just more fun that way. You will be far less likely to quit, and far more likely to succeed. (starting a facebook workout group with some friends is excellent, especially if you're naturally competitive)
3) Just Show Up! Take it slow. Don't give up. At first everything will seem like "There's no way I can do this. This program is for pros! This is bs!". Don't try to keep up with them. Start with low reps and low weights. Learn the proper form for each exercise. Just focus on showing up every day. Only doing half the reps of each exercise is STILL a LOT more than doing nothing. Over time, you will improve.


If you ever decide to give this a try, PM me your experience and progress! Or any questions you may have.
Humms 
12719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Online
Posted 10/11/17

HolyDrumstick wrote:


Humms wrote:

I've lost 10 pounds just by doing nothing, well for me it's nothing. I can easily lose 10 more pounds in 2-3 weeks. It's very easy, people just need to stop whining and bitching. You don't ease into something, you just do it. Cut the junk food, the snacks, the carbs, the packaged foods, the microwavable foods, all the sodium.

I realized long ago when I was like 13.

It's not even being lazy! Do you know how hard it is to just sit down and be a fat ass and eat junk food all day. That's the complete opposite of lazy, people just find excuses not to eat healthy, but they love cramming shit down their throat because it fills that void in your life.

Gimme a break. Do a shit load of cardio, and eat healthy. Put down the chip bag and chocolate bars.

If everyone eased into losing weight, they will just keep finding excuses to ease out of it, day after day. Need to light a fire under people just to keep them focused. Just don't start crying because it's too hard or you've already quit


All due respect, I think you are an idiot. I have lost 70 in the past year. I started by just cutting out soda. When the weight loss slowed down, I started watching carbs and counting calories. When it slowed down again, I added in strength training. I am about to start a bit of cardio.

See, you think it is easy because you never developed bad habits. I tried "just doing it" numerous times and failed. This HAS worked for me, and not only have I lost weight, but kept it off, and did it healthy. Because I developed good habits that you have had from a young age.

Stop being a dick, and spreading misinformation, please.


I never developed bad habits, no never. I still have bad habits to this day.

If I were to buy a large bag of chips I would eat it in 5 minutes, and that goes for any junk food or candy. I will still be that person, and there is nothing I can do except stop buying garbage completely. It's pretty easy actually, you just stop buying it xD. I don't need therapy or consultants

People will make any excuse. You know I get it, it's been a long day; go order a pizza, but do that every day, especially drive Thru. I get it, long day at work I'm tired, I just can't find the time to eat a proper meal, I get it.

All you need is cardio to lose weight, and eat healthy. You don't need no personal trainer, or a lesson plan to lose weight, no personal motivator. The only motivation you need is to look in a fucking mirror and ask yourself, are you good enough?

Hey, call me a dick, but my mentality keeps me looking for flaws every day, and for most of what I do it matters. Being nice about being positive goes soo far. You just have to realize you are tour only solution to the problem




First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.