First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Let's talk about Black Clover
1327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17
So I have been reading the manga and up to chapter 75 right now.
Does everyone agree that it's pretty much a copy of Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail put together?


There also seems to be characters copied over into it from those 3.
I am gonna watch the anime because why not and I have enjoyed reading the manga but I mean, I have a soft spot for animes/mangas like this. Other then Naruto, never really liked it.

What do all of yall think about it?
735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / To the left. Not...
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/25/17
Meh, I reckon you can probably trace a common line of inspiration among most shonen battle manga since the era of YYH, Keshin, and Dragon Ball, so similarities aren't really all that surprising.

That being said I would argue that, even among the points you mentioned, there are alot of significant differences in execution and context that ultimately make the similarities little more than superficial.



At the end of the day there are alot of interesting ways to tweak and rework old ideas, and I think shonen action as a genre has been a consistent example of this over the years. I'd say between reworking ideas and very gradually fleshing out the world and lore, Black Clover is doing a pretty well in establishing itself so far.
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/17
where are you reading the manga?

735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / To the left. Not...
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/8/17

huskyswampert wrote:

where are you reading the manga?




I'm reading with a EWSJ subscription from VIZ. Like $25 per year I think. Volumes are available for digital sale in a few different places.

You get check out the first 3 chapters in their free section: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/black-clover

11762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 11/4/17
Honestly, if you're going to call Asta a ripoff of a Naruto character, call him a ripoff of Rock Lee. I still wouldn't be convinced by it, but Naruto never had to make up for a lack of magic power by training the shit out of his body and Asta's certainly no delinquent.
13476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/7/17
I've always though that it was a combo of Naruto and Fairy Tail, and not in a good way. It just hasn't done anything impressive to stand out.
31101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/7/17 , edited 10/25/17
This person said it best in my opinion. Also, wherever you're reading Black Clover, those translations aren't 100% accurate. What it actually said was Lightning Creation Magic: "name of spell". Honestly, I think people would enjoy it a lot more if people just quit comparing it to every single thing in the world of manga. It's certainly had its rough roads in the very beginning, but it's definitely grown into its own thing since then as well. Black Clover doesn't have to be some masterpiece of writing in order to take it for what it is and enjoy it. If you don't like things that don't completely stand out from the rest in terms of uniqueness, then it's simply not for you. Albeit, if I were to give an honest opinion, I'm definitely enjoying Black Clover WAY more than Fairy Tail's last 300 chapters or so.


1327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/8/17

raciel218 wrote:

Meh, I reckon you can probably trace a common line of inspiration among most shonen battle manga since the era of YYH, Keshin, and Dragon Ball, so similarities aren't really all that surprising.

That being said I would argue that, even among the points you mentioned, there are alot of significant differences in execution and context that ultimately make the similarities little more than superficial.



At the end of the day there are alot of interesting ways to tweak and rework old ideas, and I think shonen action as a genre has been a consistent example of this over the years. I'd say between reworking ideas and very gradually fleshing out the world and lore, Black Clover is doing a pretty well in establishing itself so far.

You are right about a lot of things, I do want to point out something to. Asta(And other chars) do get a lot of hate for being not a noble. Of course how they take these actions are both different. Naruto became a trouble maker.
735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / To the left. Not...
Offline
Posted 10/8/17 , edited 10/11/17

LilArsenic wrote:


raciel218 wrote:

Meh, I reckon you can probably trace a common line of inspiration among most shonen battle manga since the era of YYH, Keshin, and Dragon Ball, so similarities aren't really all that surprising.

That being said I would argue that, even among the points you mentioned, there are alot of significant differences in execution and context that ultimately make the similarities little more than superficial.



At the end of the day there are alot of interesting ways to tweak and rework old ideas, and I think shonen action as a genre has been a consistent example of this over the years. I'd say between reworking ideas and very gradually fleshing out the world and lore, Black Clover is doing a pretty well in establishing itself so far.

You are right about a lot of things, I do want to point out something to. Asta(And other chars) do get a lot of hate for being not a noble. Of course how they take these actions are both different. Naruto became a trouble maker.


Oh don't get me wrong, they definitely both get hate. I'm just pointing out that the reasoning is different, and therefore leading to different ways of handling things. Naruto was hated specifically for what he was, not for being an orphan. We know this because Sasuke wasn't hated and Iruka-sensei, though he was lonely, was not hated. On the other hand, Black Clover has alot of examples of the peasant class being disliked.

When you compare the two situations you realize that Naruto had alot more on his shoulders simply because there was no-one else in the village of status equal to his. If all else fails, peasants in Black Clover can at least lean on each other (like Asta and Yuno had each other and the orphanage). Naruto basically had no companions for the sum of his younger years.
62 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/10/17
I made these just for conversations such as this

http://kuja9001.tumblr.com/post/165884944910/talk-no-asta

http://kuja9001.tumblr.com/post/165809363355/astas-motive

Asta's goal is very different than Naruto's.
31101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/11/17

Kuja9001 wrote:

I made these just for conversations such as this

http://kuja9001.tumblr.com/post/165884944910/talk-no-asta

http://kuja9001.tumblr.com/post/165809363355/astas-motive

Asta's goal is very different than Naruto's.


Very well written post(s), Kuja. This is exactly what people need to see when they keep going on about Naruto this, Naruto that.
8321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/11/17
No it's not a copy. It was inspired by them yes, and when I was reading it I saw mainly similarities to Fairy Tail, and some to Naruto. However, it's its own story, and it might as well be enjoyed as one.

It's actually a pretty fun read.
Jikkle 
39212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 10/25/17
People act like Shonen is full of writing on the masterpiece level.

Black Clover isn't exactly original especially at first but it comes into its own as it progresses and with it's brisk pacing it's just a fun read to me personally.

There is a tendency to get caught up in whether something is original or not when the focus should be more on if you enjoy reading it or not especially with Shonen.
453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/17
The themes and tropes can be found in old Charlton Heston movies and old Greek comedies, with Dumas thrown in for good measure.
31101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/25/17

Jikkle wrote:

People act like Shonen is full of writing on the masterpiece level.

Black Clover isn't exactly original especially at first but it comes into its own as it progresses and with it's brisk pacing it's just a fun read to me personally.

There is a tendency to get caught up in whether something is original or not when the focus should be more on if you enjoy reading it or not especially with Shonen.


100% agreed. You're reading a demographic that's meant for young teens, so why on Earth are you expecting it to be some out of this world writing? Shonen as a whole is meant to be just simple fun you can enjoy on a weekly basis, not something that's supposed to be over analyzed because it's so convoluted somehow.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.