First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Do You Practice Martial Arts?
11142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 10/12/17 , edited 10/13/17

cdarklock wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:


cdarklock wrote:


You cannot teach someone who does not want to be taught.



That's Mr Miyagi McDojo nonsense.


I would explain, but again: you cannot teach someone who does not want to be taught.



OK well a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I've seen it done
5007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/12/17
Competitive Muay Thai for the better part of a decade. Used to train no gi BJJ and MMA as well before it became overrun with d-bags. Way more honor and respect in Muay Thai imo. A lot more tradition involved.
20760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 10/12/17

karatecowboy wrote:
OK well a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I've seen it done


Some people have seen bigfoot. Those people are wrong, because there is no bigfoot. They saw something, but it was not bigfoot.
55139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/17
Have you guys/ladies gone to this Youtube site call MartialClub? Check them out, here one of the video. Can you do those? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-W5jtPyXU&list=LLIJ_l9TjwwVNO-S6QW0OXvg
70100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/13/17
ITF Taekwondo (punching allowed in this form) 18 years in the making. I absolutely love it and I love teaching it to others.
303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/13/17
I own a martial arts school: 25 years of Shorin-ryu Karate, 15 years of judo, 8 years of brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai. Won several karate competitions and competed a few times in MMA, thought honestly the weight cut is ridiculous, so I don't have a lot of interest in it anymore.
11142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 10/13/17 , edited 10/13/17

cdarklock wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:
OK well a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I've seen it done


Some people have seen bigfoot. Those people are wrong, because there is no bigfoot. They saw something, but it was not bigfoot.


Oh OK. Well in that case I didn't see some guy strutting in there all proud, only to have tasted humility and asking questions by the end of class. It must have been my lying eyes, because people can't have their pride broken -- that's tantamount to seeing bigfoot.


Rinnybean wrote:

ITF Taekwondo (punching allowed in this form) 18 years in the making. I absolutely love it and I love teaching it to others.


Cool. Do any competitions?


djason1988 wrote:

I own a martial arts school: 25 years of Shorin-ryu Karate, 15 years of judo, 8 years of brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai. Won several karate competitions and competed a few times in MMA, thought honestly the weight cut is ridiculous, so I don't have a lot of interest in it anymore.

Awesome. My first martial art was Shorin-Ryu. Under sensei Dan Schroeder in Hales Corners, WI. I got to see O-sensei Tadashi Yamashita once or twice.
70100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/13/17

karatecowboy wrote:


cdarklock wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:
OK well a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I've seen it done


Some people have seen bigfoot. Those people are wrong, because there is no bigfoot. They saw something, but it was not bigfoot.


Oh OK. Well in that case I didn't see some guy strutting in there all proud, only to have tasted humility and asking questions by the end of class. It must have been my lying eyes, because people can't have their pride broken -- that's tantamount to seeing bigfoot.


Rinnybean wrote:

ITF Taekwondo (punching allowed in this form) 18 years in the making. I absolutely love it and I love teaching it to others.


Cool. Do any competitions?


djason1988 wrote:

I own a martial arts school: 25 years of Shorin-ryu Karate, 15 years of judo, 8 years of brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai. Won several karate competitions and competed a few times in MMA, thought honestly the weight cut is ridiculous, so I don't have a lot of interest in it anymore.

Awesome. My first martial art was Shorin-Ryu. Under sensei Dan Schroeder in Hales Corners, WI. I got to see O-sensei Tadashi Yamashita once or twice.


Yes all over the world in my younger days (I'm 25 now) but I had a catastrophic injury to my shoulder and I can't compete anymore but I can pass on my knowledge lol
11142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 10/13/17

Rinnybean wrote:


Yes all over the world in my younger days (I'm 25 now) but I had a catastrophic injury to my shoulder and I can't compete anymore but I can pass on my knowledge lol


Man that sucks. That's part of why I do BJJ. It's actually one of the safest contact sports out there, provided you tap early. What's your injury like? Was it from a TKD, or something else?
70100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/13/17

karatecowboy wrote:


Rinnybean wrote:


Yes all over the world in my younger days (I'm 25 now) but I had a catastrophic injury to my shoulder and I can't compete anymore but I can pass on my knowledge lol


Man that sucks. That's part of why I do BJJ. It's actually one of the safest contact sports out there, provided you tap early. What's your injury like? Was it from a TKD, or something else?


My collarbone popped through my skin and my shoulder blade was smashed to bits. I've had 4 surgeries on it so yeah it was nasty and I have metal all inside me now lol.
303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/13/17

karatecowboy wrote:


Rinnybean wrote:


Yes all over the world in my younger days (I'm 25 now) but I had a catastrophic injury to my shoulder and I can't compete anymore but I can pass on my knowledge lol


Man that sucks. That's part of why I do BJJ. It's actually one of the safest contact sports out there, provided you tap early. What's your injury like? Was it from a TKD, or something else?


I personally find the "gentle art" to be the biggest myth in jiu jitsu. While you pretty much constantly have bruises and scrapes in striking arts, the serious injuries I've seen occurred almost exclusively in BJJ. I've seen tons of broke fingers/toes, a few broken collar bones, and a plethora of torn rotator cuffs and knee injuries. I'll see more injuries at any given NAGA than I will in a whole year of karate tournaments.
11142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 10/13/17 , edited 10/13/17

Rinnybean wrote:




My collarbone popped through my skin and my shoulder blade was smashed to bits. I've had 4 surgeries on it so yeah it was nasty and I have metal all inside me now lol.


CRINGING INTENSIFIES

That sounds horrid. Sends a shiver down my spine. Does it prevent you from kicking? You're only 25.


djason1988 wrote:

I personally find the "gentle art" to be the biggest myth in jiu jitsu. While you pretty much constantly have bruises and scrapes in striking arts, the serious injuries I've seen occurred almost exclusively in BJJ. I've seen tons of broke fingers/toes, a few broken collar bones, and a plethora of torn rotator cuffs and knee injuries. I'll see more injuries at any given NAGA than I will in a whole year of karate tournaments.


The worst I've ever had in six years was a jammed knuckle. I think competition is dramatically different from rolling in the dojo. At a tournament people's pride and such are on the line, and I think that gets in the way of the principle I mentioned: tap early, tap often. That's one reason why I don't do tournaments. Another reason is that I don't really see the point, given they're divided by rank. I think of it this way: Imagine I am a blue belt and attend a tournament twice a week for a year. I win and win and win, proving myself to be better than all the other blue belts out there. I am the best blue belt in the world... Doesn't that just mean I really ought to be a purple belt?

If I ever get to black belt I may consider competing. Until then my philosophy is that when I can consistently beat everyone and my school, then I have a reason to go looking for challenges outside my school.
408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 10/13/17 , edited 10/13/17
Yes, I do. It's a mixture of different styles and it has movements that I made up myself.
303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/13/17

karatecowboy wrote:


Rinnybean wrote:




My collarbone popped through my skin and my shoulder blade was smashed to bits. I've had 4 surgeries on it so yeah it was nasty and I have metal all inside me now lol.


CRINGING INTENSIFIES

That sounds horrid. Sends a shiver down my spine. Does it prevent you from kicking? You're only 25.


djason1988 wrote:

I personally find the "gentle art" to be the biggest myth in jiu jitsu. While you pretty much constantly have bruises and scrapes in striking arts, the serious injuries I've seen occurred almost exclusively in BJJ. I've seen tons of broke fingers/toes, a few broken collar bones, and a plethora of torn rotator cuffs and knee injuries. I'll see more injuries at any given NAGA than I will in a whole year of karate tournaments.


The worst I've ever had in six years was a jammed knuckle. I think competition is dramatically different from rolling in the dojo. At a tournament people's pride and such are on the line, and I think that gets in the way of the principle I mentioned: tap early, tap often. That's one reason why I don't do tournaments. Another reason is that I don't really see the point, given they're divided by rank. I think of it this way: Imagine I am a blue belt and attend a tournament twice a week for a year. I win and win and win, proving myself to be better than all the other blue belts out there. I am the best blue belt in the world... Doesn't that just mean I really ought to be a purple belt?

If I ever get to black belt I may consider competing. Until then my philosophy is that when I can consistently beat everyone and my school, then I have a reason to go looking for challenges outside my school.


I like tournaments as a way to keep motivated and measure yourself against a larger group, but my big issue with them is sandbagging. I know a D1 national champion and pro MMA fighter who just competed as a blue belt... Smh
Posted 10/13/17
Only martial art I ever practised was Karate when I was younger.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.