First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Twitter blocks ad from Pro-life congresswoman calling it 'inflammatory' [10/13 UPDATE - decision reversed]
25798 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Online
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/10/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Oh boo hoo, a private company declined to advertise for someone's feels over reals campaign. Another eeevil liberal blow to freedom from consequence, I mean freedom of speech.


Ultimately, I agree with this outlook. Arguing about just having the right to say something is just a losing strategy. The battle is over inflicting extensive consequences on each other.

I suppose it might get out of hand, though.
47476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/10/17
Their a private company, like it or not but they can do whatever they want. Don't like them then move on to another service
12131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/10/17

Kavalion wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Oh boo hoo, a private company declined to advertise for someone's feels over reals campaign. Another eeevil liberal blow to freedom from consequence, I mean freedom of speech.


Ultimately, I agree with this outlook. Arguing about just having the right to say something is just a losing strategy. The battle is over inflicting extensive consequences on each other.

I suppose it might get out of hand, though.


Oh it certainly does get out of hand, these days especially. I really would not consider a website choosing not to advertise for something they dont like to be out of hand mind you, especially not when we hear about riots every other week.
4624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/10/17
those links proven that if the idea was presented it would be a good idea (the second link) and who's to say they haven't been, they burn fetuses in large cities as trash to fuel them, so I put nothing past society anymore. they might have been forgiven, but it was still proven in the first link that it did happen regarding documents and the likes. but just stating facts and sources I've found on the net is all.
28764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17

Cydoemus wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Cydoemus wrote:

"Freedom of Speech" does not extend to the Internet.


Um yes the fuck it does. It just isn't guaranteed if you are using someone else's platform, like YouTube, Twitter, etc...



You are always using somebody else's platform.
Your ISP handles all of the data that you're sending and receiving.
They can censor what you can or cannot access if they feel the need for it.
There are plenty of domestic internet service providers that do this out of the gate.
Then, it extends into the realm of the "Interweb".
Here, you are either on somebody else's website, forum, server or otherwise.
Moderators and Administrators of these domains, servers, or platforms can censor what you say, see, or do.

For example, I am certain you cannot see any forums dedicated to the Crunchyroll Moderators on this forum.
Why? Because your access has been limited to that of a "user".
Just like a moderator may edit or delete a post if it goes against the website's guidelines.
From the ISP to the website or service, there are many "breakpoints" where your content can or has been manipulated in some fashion or another.
This is why VPNs and custom/foreign DNS servers have become popular in the last year or two, as more people are realizing that websites are supplying "custom feeds" to an individual based either on their geological location, internet service provider, cookies or user account.

I will repeat: "Freedom of Speech" does not extend to the Internet.
Your messages and content are supplied to you (and others) on an "at-will" basis.


What you see may be controlled I'll agree. And like I said in the opening post saying freedom of speech isn't in Twitter's term of use, but yes you can say whatever you want(critical of the government and its policies) on the internet, just like in a town hall without fear of being arrested. Though as Pepe the frog and the FBI's recent labeling of Black Lives Matter as a group to be watched it will get a target on you. I'm not demanding they change their terms just highlighting their lack of tolerance.
runec 
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
This may come as a shock but when it comes to advertising large corporations catering to large groups of people don't like things that polarize their customers. Just from a completely cynical business point of view. I doubt Twitter gives much of a rat's ass about your latest swing at a culture war. What they care about is losing customers and thus revenue if they run something that's going to cause a major backlash.

If someone tried to run a "Republicans force women to give birth to their dad's rape babies" ad I would place good money on it being shot down too.



28764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17

runec wrote:

This may come as a shock but when it comes to advertising large corporations catering to large groups of people don't like things that polarize their customers. Just from a completely cynical business point of view. I doubt Twitter gives much of a rat's ass about your latest swing at a culture war. What they care about is losing customers and thus revenue if they run something that's going to cause a major backlash.

If someone tried to run a "Republicans force women to give birth to their dad's rape babies" ad I would place good money on it being shot down too.





If that were the case they wouldn't run political ads at all.
pwag42 
9037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17

sundin13 wrote:

Not really sure why I should care. Political ads are cancer anyways.


Because only showing one side's political ads is very different than showing both, or neither.
707 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17

niotabunny wrote:

those links proven that if the idea was presented it would be a good idea (the second link) and who's to say they haven't been, they burn fetuses in large cities as trash to fuel them, so I put nothing past society anymore. they might have been forgiven, but it was still proven in the first link that it did happen regarding documents and the likes. but just stating facts and sources I've found on the net is all.


The opposing side isn't going to really care when a grand jury in Texas of all things can't even convict PP employees on such evidence.Why would pro choice people trust evidence that is proven to have been taken out of context,and edited to push a agenda?



19955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/13/17
i like twitter

Posted 10/11/17 , edited 10/11/17
That's incredibly sad to see.
runec 
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/11/17 , edited 10/12/17

MysticGon wrote:
If that were the case they wouldn't run political ads at all.


Frankly, that would be a distinct improvement for all social media.
13224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 10/12/17 , edited 10/13/17

weeitsnookies wrote:


Queue the "but they can do as they want." The problem is, there really is no alternative to these sites. It's very scary having a handful of companies being able to COMPLETELY CONTROL THE FLOW OF INFORMATION.


I wish people said this more. What good is constitutionally guaranteed free speech if big business can prevent it from ever being heard?
707 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 10/12/17 , edited 10/13/17

jtjumper wrote:


weeitsnookies wrote:


Queue the "but they can do as they want." The problem is, there really is no alternative to these sites. It's very scary having a handful of companies being able to COMPLETELY CONTROL THE FLOW OF INFORMATION.


I wish people said this more. What good is constitutionally guaranteed free speech if big business can prevent it from ever being heard?


https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

You're free to express your freedom of speech here without the big companies getting in your way.
28764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/17 , edited 10/13/17
https://www.rt.com/uk/406467-hate-crime-twitter-troll/

This is what happens when you live in a country without free speech.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.