First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Feeling the obligation to finish an Anime
3756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
If it doesn't catch my interest or becomes obvious that it's not a good show then I generally drop it before I get too far. Sometimes things just end up languishing in my queue, though, if I find it interesting but am too busy or get distracted. I have had a few instances though when I started an anime but had to drop it later even though I really liked the story and some of the characters because it got to be just too much with the fanservice and ecchi. The character from my profile pic is actually from one of those. For that one I'm actually trying to follow the LN instead where it's hopefully easier to skip stuff.
12287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
No, there's really no reason to finish something you're not enjoying. 10 minutes in or 10 episodes in, just drop it. It's always a good idea to formulate why you aren't enjoying something but that's more for personal reasons than anything else. You shouldn't ever feel obligated to throw more good time after bad.
45476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
I used to but I got over it. The only time now I feel obligated is if I'm 9 or 10 episodes in and the anime suddenly went down the pooper. I just can't bail when I'm that close to finishing. (Unless it just became awfully awful.)
1485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Corpus Christi, T...
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
I've abandoned a series many times. Usually I'll go ahead and wrap it up if I'm past the halfway mark, but it has to have something seriously hooking me in.

Season 3 of The World God Only Knows was like that for me. I didn't much care for it, but I was so invested in the story already, I wanted to see it through.

In contrast, I loved season one of Attack on Titan, but only watched the first episode of season two. Haven't gone back, and don't plan to.

Sometimes I get a happy ending. I considered punching out of Nisekoi several times due to frustration early on, but once I got my perspective back and just enjoyed it for what it was, I loved it. Then I went and read the manga and got my closure.
2934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17

memnalar wrote:

Sometimes I get a happy ending. I considered punching out of Nisekoi several times due to frustration early on, but once I got my perspective back and just enjoyed it for what it was, I loved it. Then I went and read the manga and got my closure.


I just finished the series not 5 minutes ago. Season 2 was filled with superfluos stories that didn't advance the plot at all. The magical girl half episode was a total waste. It wasn't funny and did nothing for the story. The lost parrot half episode just made me consider Tachibana a manipulative so and so.

The half episode where Shu admitted he was in love with the teacher who was leaving was really sad, but with only 2 episodes left, what did that do for the story?

32 episodes and the story didn't progress. What was the point of introducing Paula MCcoy at all? Haru seemed like she could become a great character like Konoha from Gamers but they introduced her way too late.

This is what ticks me off about anime..just finish a story already. If you hook me for 32 episodes then just keep on making it until the story is complete. It's like reading Lord of The Rings and stopping at the end of The Two Towers. Now I'm off to Amazon to add the Manga to my shopping list.
365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
Nah, if I get bored I'll stop watching. Like last season I was watching Katsugeki Touken Ranbu. I think I watched 6 or 7 episodes. Got bored, meh.

But there have been series I felt obligated to finish. Like 3-gatsu no lion. I watched it even though I really didn't get it at all. But I couldn't stop. Then it got good and I was glad I was watching it and now I can't wait for season 2, and I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!

Shakugan no Shana is another example. I watched season 1 and 2. And damn I got lost on that show. I should have watched season 3 since I watched so much, but I had zero idea what was going on, so I didn't watch it.
11582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
I always mean to come back to shows but end up totally feeling unmotivated. I drop shows if the first 3 eps suck. But if I've watched like 5+ eps then I'm gonna finish it no matter what or put it on my to finish list ^_^

Dropped mha after the first episode btw
9395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
yeah I gave up on that a while ago, mostly because my laziness outdid my sense of "obligation" or whatever you want to call it
1095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
no. if I don't like something, I stop watching it. sometimes that happens within the first 5 minutes of episode one, sometimes that happens near the end of the series.

why should I force myself to watch something I don't enjoy, and then just feel like I did nothing but waste my time when I could have spent it doing something better? play a game I enjoy, watch another series I enjoy, read a book I enjoy...

there is literally no point in not dropping a series I don't like, when I could be spending my time on better things.
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Middletown, New york
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
Yeah, I got to episode 10 of Akame ga Kill but just couldn't do it anymore. I've felt a nagging obligation to finish it lately...
1182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
I do drop shows occasionally, but I definitely feel the need to finish what I started more often than not. It's the same way if I'm playing a video game or especially if I'm reading a book.
I also would make a distinction between watching only the first episode and dropping a show that's I"m halfway through or more. I'll stop after the first episode if it just doesn't interest me at all.
39314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17
I never drop a series. I'd feel guilty. Most of the series I haven't finished are in my 'on hold' queue.
30217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / [ ᴄʟᴀssɪғɪᴇᴅ ]
Offline
Posted 10/10/17 , edited 10/11/17

If I find the show unappealing, I drop it. It doesn't matter if I'm already at the halfway point of a series or missing 1-2 episodes before completion. There were even a few occasions where I'd let go of a title without finishing the first episode due to its presentation being a complete mess.


Simply put, with what spare time I've set aside to watch anime, I'd rather not waste it on something that I won't enjoy. Moreso, when there are others out there that you can dig your eyes into.


1485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Corpus Christi, T...
Offline
Posted 10/11/17 , edited 10/11/17

HOOfan_1 wrote:


memnalar wrote:

Sometimes I get a happy ending. I considered punching out of Nisekoi several times due to frustration early on, but once I got my perspective back and just enjoyed it for what it was, I loved it. Then I went and read the manga and got my closure.


I just finished the series not 5 minutes ago. Season 2 was filled with superfluos stories that didn't advance the plot at all. The magical girl half episode was a total waste. It wasn't funny and did nothing for the story. The lost parrot half episode just made me consider Tachibana a manipulative so and so.

The half episode where Shu admitted he was in love with the teacher who was leaving was really sad, but with only 2 episodes left, what did that do for the story?

32 episodes and the story didn't progress. What was the point of introducing Paula MCcoy at all? Haru seemed like she could become a great character like Konoha from Gamers but they introduced her way too late.

This is what ticks me off about anime..just finish a story already. If you hook me for 32 episodes then just keep on making it until the story is complete. It's like reading Lord of The Rings and stopping at the end of The Two Towers. Now I'm off to Amazon to add the Manga to my shopping list.


Yeah. I know that most anime is made to sell manga, light novels or other products, but few of them make it quite so obvious as Nisekoi.

The manga does eventually give you a definitive ending. It takes its sweet time getting there, so it's very important that you like the characters and the style of humor, because there's a lot more where that came from. There are some very interesting arcs, new characters, some quality time spent with supporting characters, and Tachibana does get a lot more dimension. Whether you like her more is up to you, but at least you'll have more to go on.
2934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/11/17 , edited 10/11/17

memnalar wrote:

Yeah. I know that most anime is made to sell manga, light novels or other products, but few of them make it quite so obvious as Nisekoi.

The manga does eventually give you a definitive ending. It takes its sweet time getting there, so it's very important that you like the characters and the style of humor, because there's a lot more where that came from. There are some very interesting arcs, new characters, some quality time spent with supporting characters, and Tachibana does get a lot more dimension. Whether you like her more is up to you, but at least you'll have more to go on.


It just feels so odd that it got 32 episodes. Most anime that are just trying to sell you the manga or Light Novel only get 12 or 13. The first season actually seemed to have some progress from beginning to end. The second season was just too full of useless bits.

It just seems like such a weird concept that anime is meant to sell Manga and Light Novels. Look at Game of Thrones in the West. The TV series has nearly made the novels irrelevant at this point. I would think television is where the money would be, not print media. Not to mention it is so frustrating for people who can't read Japanese to get invested in an anime only to find that the story is completed in print media that may never be translated.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.