First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Does there seem to be a lot of disappointing anime this fall?
25591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/14/17 , edited 10/15/17
Yes in my personal opinion this is a pretty disappointing season, but on the bright side time to catch up on my back catalogue.
36618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 10/14/17 , edited 10/15/17
yeah some of the "dark" shows have been disappointing, but at the same time I've found some good surprises of the season

the main show that didn't live up to my hype this season so far would be 'Shobitch' (but thats probably because I set the bar too high expecting Seitokai Yakuindomo)
178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/14/17 , edited 10/15/17
Compared to the awful Summer we are coming off of, the anime I have seen thus far this season are a major improvement.

With that being said, I think that this year as a whole has been rather weak in terms of new content, but with continuing shows like Blood Blockade Battlefront, Boku no Hero Academia, Shokugeki no Soma etc I have not at all been disappointed.
3111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
" give up on anime and find something better to do" Not what I said or suggested.
239500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
Every season has its own disappointing shows.

This season's "dark and edgy" anime are on that list so far and some of the idol shows have been disappointing.
On the other hand, the manga adaptations have been pretty good like Ancient Magus and Inuyashiki.
45422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / East Coast
Online
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
Disclaimer / I have yet to start watching ( Sriil have some summer to finish )but I know I wont be letdown once I settle on the shows I want to watch

That being said 1 or 2 EPS in and is's a disaster every season thread come up ! Just watch what you like / I was let down on 2 summer animes I liked with their last couple of EPS and surprised by others / BTW IF this is only directed at CR animes whether you like it or not there is good anime on Amazon Strike too

I agree with Stark on Ancient Magus and Inuyashiki

Personally I am looking forward to these

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Children of the Whales
Classicaloid 2 ( Overlooked IMO ) I am usually ROFL
Food Wars! The Third Plate
Girls' Last Tour
Himouto! Umaru-chan 2
Kino's Journey the Beautiful World
Love Live! Sunshine!! S2
Love is Like a Cocktail
My girlfriend is Shobitch
Recovery of an MMO Junkie ( Been hearing good buzz about this one )
RWBY VOL 5 ( Another Misunderstood / Underated . Overlooked Show IMO )

Carry Over

Fox Spirit Matchmaker ( This just keeps getting better )

Others that are good ( Fan Favorites )

March Comes In Like A Lion S2
Mr. Osomatsu TV 2
30419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17

alfredtax wrote:

" give up on anime and find something better to do" Not what I said or suggested.


I don't think I see any comments suggest or imply that though.
31188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
i say alot of them are good esspecialy kings game and black clover.
1084 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17

FLjerry2011 wrote:
RWBY VOL 5 ( Another Misunderstood / Underated . Overlooked Show IMO )



Is RWBY really underrated? I thought it was a well recieved show.
4693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
Personally i have plenty to look forward too but CR always seems pessimistic about every season and enthusiastic/positive about stuff that makes no sense.

StriderShinryu wrote:

There are definitely a few clunkers (Black Clover, Dies Irea, Kings Game)

It's worth noting Seven is doing a fantastic job on King's game being their first project like this, first two episodes plot wise i'm not too impressed however i would definitely recommend reading King's Game before watching the anime sequel however, you'll feel a lot more interested.

People are being far too hard on Dies irae when that was the prequel and a special, that's like judging Assassination Classroom before it actually aired, that being said episode 01 of the tv series was definitely far better and actually puts you in the perspective of the protagonist.
That being said i'm actually pleasantly surprised with the first episode and look forward to episode 02.


CrashCourseCommie wrote:


FLjerry2011 wrote:
RWBY VOL 5 ( Another Misunderstood / Underated . Overlooked Show IMO )



Is RWBY really underrated? I thought it was a well recieved show.

Personally i would say the netflix Voltron is underrated but i am looking forward to Rwby as well.
7922 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
I believe it's a matter of taste. I agree that some of the darker/edgier ones were a bit disappointing. But a lot of the sequels this season look strong (especially 3-Gatsu no Lion, Love Live and Gintama), as well as a few great adaptations (the Ancient Magus' Bride) I'm a huge idol fan as well, so this season has been a big treat for me (which is kind of not a good thing because I have so much work to do).
12299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17

fluffykun011 wrote:


StriderShinryu wrote:

There are definitely a few clunkers (Black Clover, Dies Irea, Kings Game)

It's worth noting Seven is doing a fantastic job on King's game being their first project like this, first two episodes plot wise i'm not too impressed however i would definitely recommend reading King's Game before watching the anime sequel however, you'll feel a lot more interested.


Eh, I think it's pretty obvious what happened in the first game leading up to this season's anime. I also don't think reading the manga to develop some sort of interest beforehand should ever be required as we're talking about the anime here and not the manga. In fact, I'd imagine that if you had read the manga first you'd probably be likely to be even more disappointed in this anime adaptation/sequel. And that just leaves us with, as you state, a show that just isn't that impressive.
41625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
Possibly. The first episodes of Land of the Lustrous, Shobitch and Girl's Last Tour were an utter chore to sit through.

The stand out show's clearly Ancient Magus Bride, the whole thing is just oozing class.

Aside from that Hozuki season 2 is really strong. I'm enjoying Blend-S and Konohana Kitan. Anime Gataris and the Imouto one, falls more into the guilty pleasure category.

Haven't got around to watching Kino's Journey yet. Dies Irae could improve, I think people have been too quick to write that show off.
4693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17

StriderShinryu wrote:


fluffykun011 wrote:


StriderShinryu wrote:

There are definitely a few clunkers (Black Clover, Dies Irea, Kings Game)

It's worth noting Seven is doing a fantastic job on King's game being their first project like this, first two episodes plot wise i'm not too impressed however i would definitely recommend reading King's Game before watching the anime sequel however, you'll feel a lot more interested.


Eh, I think it's pretty obvious what happened in the first game leading up to this season's anime. I also don't think reading the manga to develop some sort of interest beforehand should ever be required as we're talking about the anime here and not the manga. In fact, I'd imagine that if you had read the manga first you'd probably be likely to be even more disappointed in this anime adaptation/sequel. And that just leaves us with, as you state, a show that just isn't that impressive.


"should ever be required"

Well than you're ignoring adaptations like Danganronpa 3 future arc and past arc which specifically were made to give their respective series a climax after the games DR 1 and DR 2, in some cases I would feel inclined to agree but this continuation is a little more special than that and readers actually have a reason to look forward to the series continuing. There's plenty of adaptations as well that put interest in the already existing fans as opposed to newcomers that i see adapted time to time which i will agree is bad business but you can't expect to feel any investment towards an adaptation like this that you have no prior knowledge in or have a lack of research.

Yes, it's also entirely watchable before reading the series but you also have to think an adaptation like this is most likely gonna be viewed as advertisement so you should expect to have lower expectations, in my personal opinion that makes it more enjoyable for me to watch.

Again it's only episode 02 so it's far too early to tell but i am simply giving the manga a recommendation since there was a space for me to fit in to.
3111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/15/17
Thanks all. I was wondering what others thought and as usual there is a wide variety of answers to my question. I am sure that there will always be highs and lows as well as shifts in what is predominant but that is the nature of entertainment and anime.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.