First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Favourite Sailor Moon Pretty Guardian?
340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
I was just wondering which of the Sailor Moon Pretty Guardians is your favourite and for what reason(s)?

--

Mine has always been Rei Hino/Sailor Mars since I can remember. I always found her so cool for having both her fire attack and her ofuda/"Evil Spirit, Begone" from her shrine maiden background at the beginning of the series. I also generally liked how fiery and passionate she was as a person, and related to her impatience. I know her impatience kind of earned her the reputation of being the "meaner" one of the group, but I always felt her gripes with Usagi were justified. Regardless, deep down she still loved Usagi very much, even if she got on her nerves sometimes.
12864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
Back when I watched the show, it was always Mercury. Not sure if it would be different if I was first introduced to the show now though.

As for why? I guess I was always the quiet, studious one myself so Ami seemed to match my own personality the best.
340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17

StriderShinryu wrote:

Back when I watched the show, it was always Mercury. Not sure if it would be different if I was first introduced to the show now though.

As for why? I guess I was always the quiet, studious one myself so Ami seemed to match my own personality the best.



I love Ami too! I found her the second most relatable character. I'm introverted and studious like she is, but much less shy. I also found her super resourceful, and felt the guardians would have been screwed without her around on numerous occasions!
67310 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
I've always liked Hotaru Tomoe (Sailor Saturn) ever since I was little. Something about a lonely and frail girl who is actually incredibly powerful but had a rough life makes it easy for me to care about her.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
Was that really what they were called? I mostly remembered them being called Sailor Scouts (or Senshi).

Regardless, my most fond memories of the series come from watching the Dic dub when I was a kid and I never got past season 2 so I never really liked Sailor Moon herself because of how dumb and derpy she always was. I liked Sailor Mars' power the best, something about the way they animated that fire just gave it an intensity like no other, but even after re-watching it as an adult I can't really remember anything about her out of her Sailor-sona (That's probably the worst term I could have used to describe that but fuck it) other than occasionally butting heads with Sailor Moon and calling her grandpa a granola bar. I always thought Sailor Mercury was kinda silly fighting with bubbles and everything and I don't remember anything about her other than she was the token smart one. Sailor Venus was one I would confuse with Moon on occasion and while that was partly because I was too young to distinguish similarly designed characters, it's also because they almost are the same character. They're both silly and derpy and casual and stuff, it's really kind of confusing why they would have them be so similar. Sailor Jupiter would probably be the one I liked the most, honestly. Her lightning powers are rendered in a pretty cool way and I liked how, for lack of a better term, bro-y she was, plus she's the tallest which is always cool. The problem is that she didn't have much screen time, at least not much that stuck with me. I've seen the show multiple times by now and while I can easily remember multiple episodes that zeroed in on one or two of the Senshi I can't do that for Jupiter. I remember the Crane-Game-Joe episode, but that one sucked.

So yeah, I'm starting to think I might not like this series as much as everyone else. I can't seem to find any one of the pretty guardians that I like on any sort of meaningful level. Fuck it, when in doubt, cop out. Does Tuxedo Mask count as a Pretty Guardian? He's pretty enough, so I'm gonna say yes. Tuxedo Mask is my favourite one.
340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
I think the Sailor Jupiter episode that stands out the most for me was the skating one. She was the only one out of the 5 who was gifted, and a lot of focus was on her.

There was also a lot of Sailor Jupiter focus in the 3rd episode of Sailor Moon R, For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears. One of her best friends is being targeted and attacked by a Cardian monster. She ends up donating her blood to save his life after he is injured, and a lot of attention was given to her via flashbacks as to why they are close, etc.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17

jooleyhooley wrote:

I think the Sailor Jupiter episode that stands out the most for me was the skating one. She was the only one out of the 5 who was gifted, and a lot of focus was on her.

There was also a lot of Sailor Jupiter focus in the 3rd episode of Sailor Moon R, For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears. One of her best friends is being targeted and attacked by a Cardian monster. She ends up donating her blood to save his life after he is injured, and a lot of attention was given to her via flashbacks as to why they are close, etc.


I honestly can't remember either of those, which is weird when you consider that skating and anime usually go together like showers and warmth. What were the episode numbers?
2368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / At the Memory Den
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
sailor mars I just like her
340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17

octorockandroll wrote:


jooleyhooley wrote:

I think the Sailor Jupiter episode that stands out the most for me was the skating one. She was the only one out of the 5 who was gifted, and a lot of focus was on her.

There was also a lot of Sailor Jupiter focus in the 3rd episode of Sailor Moon R, For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears. One of her best friends is being targeted and attacked by a Cardian monster. She ends up donating her blood to save his life after he is injured, and a lot of attention was given to her via flashbacks as to why they are close, etc.


I honestly can't remember either of those, which is weird when you consider that skating and anime go together like showers and warmth. What were the episode numbers?


The skating episode was episode 39 of the full uncensored series, or episode 35 of the DiC version. Here's more info: http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Paired_With_a_Youma%3F_Ice_Queen_Mako

The blood donor episode was episode 49 of the full uncensored series, or episode 43 of the DiC version. Here's more info: http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=For_Whom_is_the_White_Rose%3F_The_Moonlight_Knight_Appears

Hope this helps!
34979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
Mercury. Only because I have a thing for girls with short hair
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
Ami /Mercury , she's the smartest.
33602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Bed
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
That's going back. For me it was Sailor Jupiter. Thought she was tough, cool, and the lightning attacks were neat. Another reason, much simpler was that my favorite color was green.

12253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
Rei
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Weeb Dungeon
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17
Sailor Pluto <3
17320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/15/17 , edited 10/16/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Was that really what they were called? I mostly remembered them being called Sailor Scouts (or Senshi).



The Japanese is Sailor Senshi. Senshi can be translated as warrior or guardian.

Official 90's translations opted for "warrior" but the dubbed versions tried to aim for a younger audience and softened it to "scouts."

A live action series was released in 2003 and was distinguished by a change in the official translation to "guardian," which was included in English within the series logo. The manga was reissued in Japan at the same time with the same logo and all projects since have used the guardian translation.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.