First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply So, which women might be making up their Weinstein accusations?
42533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/19/17 , edited 10/20/17
whole thing has a process that people have to let play out. Investigations have to be made. One things for sure, with this many its more probable that they're telling the truth rather than anyone you could name be lying.

This is why we pay tax dollars to law enforcement for. At this point I'd be completely shocked and probably angry if the guy doesn't do time. No one should be above the law, not even if they have money.
2077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 10/19/17 , edited 10/20/17

sundin13 wrote:

At this point, who cares?


This.
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 10/19/17 , edited 10/20/17

Holofernes wrote:
No one should be above the law, not even if they have money.

Sadly, that's just not the world we live in. I'd be surprised if this guy ever sees the inside of a jail cell.
20171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

FootChar wrote:

Man, people wonder why these kind of 'open secrets' go on so long without victims coming forward, yet when victims do come forward they're accused of lying for fame and fortune.

Kindly disengage.


That's only the case do to the fact how many times in the past such things did happen.. Its not a new concept, a lot of people have lied and accused people of rape in order to get their 15 mins of fame or push an agenda and make the person accused lose face.


If that was not the case people not be so unsure about the accusers.. only have the fakers to blame. at that.. for every 10 cases of a women being raped 1 of them will be fake.. so say 10,000 women accused someone of raping them that means 1,000 women lied about it and got someone who did nothing thrown in jail.. keep that in mind wen you want to know why people are iffy about just excepting a claim of rape.
25804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17
It doesn't really matter, they can make their accusations and go through due process. Obviously, we want to punish people for sexual misconduct, but we need to confirm each and every instance. Victims should always come forward as soon as possible to aid with that.
16145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

Kavalion wrote:

It doesn't really matter, they can make their accusations and go through due process. Obviously, we want to punish people for sexual misconduct, but we need to confirm each and every instance. Victims should always come forward as soon as possible to aid with that.


"We" don't really have to do anything (except condemn sexual abuse). I'd say more often than not, playing forum detective just ends with people coming to terrible conclusions due to a lack of facts resulting in people attacking those who don't deserve it.
62379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:

That's only the case do to the fact how many times in the past such things did happen.. Its not a new concept, a lot of people have lied and accused people of rape in order to get their 15 mins of fame or push an agenda and make the person accused lose face.


If that was not the case people not be so unsure about the accusers.. only have the fakers to blame. at that.. for every 10 cases of a women being raped 1 of them will be fake.. so say 10,000 women accused someone of raping them that means 1,000 women lied about it and got someone who did nothing thrown in jail.. keep that in mind wen you want to know why people are iffy about just excepting a claim of rape.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape#Estimates_of_prevalence

Estimates of prevalence
It is extremely difficult to assess the prevalence of false accusations. Not all jurisdictions have a distinct classification of false accusation, resulting in these cases being combined with other types of cases (e.g. where the accuser did not physically resist the suspect or sustain injuries) under headings such as "unfounded" or "unproved". There are many reasons other than falsity that can result in a rape case being closed as unfounded or unproven. DiCanio (1993) states that while researchers and prosecutors do not agree on the exact percentage of false allegations, they generally agree on a range of 2% to 10%.


So your statistic wasn't exactly wrong, but it's clear where your bias is. That said, by your same logic, I suppose that if 60 women accuse one man of rape, it must be reasonable to assume that between 1.2 and 6 of those accusations are false. However, by no stretch of the imagination can we say, based on this statistic, that those ~1-6 women are trying to get someone who did nothing thrown in jail.
2243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Maryland
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17
I'm more curious as to why they are all jumping up now after that one or two spoke up initially. Even after they became famous. Were they afraid of being blacklisted in Hollywood? I'm not saying it didn't happen, because in that line of work its sadly very possible.

I just heard one where she was at his house with his wife and kids home and he coerced her. Why did she go to his house with the wife and kids at home? Were they really that personal together or was this for an interview.?

In my opinion, the guy seems rather sleazy. But I'm just judging books by their covers. Who knows?

Also maybe they saw how it worked with Cosby and jumped on the band wagon to keep their name in the spotlight.

Again, a lot of questions on this one. I'm not saying it didn't happen. Just seems strange to me with so many women jumping at this guy right now instead of years ago when it happened.
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

Darkphoenix3450 wrote:
That's only the case do to the fact how many times in the past such things did happen.. Its not a new concept, a lot of people have lied and accused people of rape in order to get their 15 mins of fame or push an agenda and make the person accused lose face.


If that was not the case people not be so unsure about the accusers.. only have the fakers to blame. at that.. for every 10 cases of a women being raped 1 of them will be fake.. so say 10,000 women accused someone of raping them that means 1,000 women lied about it and got someone who did nothing thrown in jail.. keep that in mind wen you want to know why people are iffy about just excepting a claim of rape.

Except the opposite is true. The vast majority of sexual assault allegations are true and most of the perpetrator get light sentencing or no sentencing at all. Even with a exaggerated 10% false claim rate, that still means 90% of them are real. Maybe that's not enough to convict someone, but you're definitely being a dick if you're doubting victims before there's even a trial.

I mean fuck. When 60 women come forward, why are people attacking the women when there's a very obvious problem with Weinstein?
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

ghostlygirl wrote:
Were they afraid of being blacklisted in Hollywood?


Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner. When one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood is giving you the option of either starring in your own movie and making a 7 figure salary or being branded as a liar who can only get work at the community theater, what option would you choose? You can either live out your dream of being a movie star or he can turn your life into a living nightmare. It's not that hard to see why it took so long for people to come forward.
2243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Maryland
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

DrunkKanti wrote:


ghostlygirl wrote:
Were they afraid of being blacklisted in Hollywood?


Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner. When one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood is giving you the option of either starring in your own movie and making a 7 figure salary or being branded as a liar who can only get work at the community theater, what option would you choose? You can either live out your dream of being a movie star or he can turn your life into a living nightmare. It's not that hard to see why it took so long for people to come forward.


Thanks for the confirmation on that one. But what I mean is even after they got an excessive amount of money already, they still kept silent. If it were me, once I famous enough and enough money I would have come out sooner. Not 25 years after my career started. I already know how greedy these Hollywood actors are. They story just seems more suspicious because some many women waited for so long when they already had the world in their hands for the past several decades.
3128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17
I haven't been following the whole Weinstein thing very much, so I am a bit curious about what got the ball rolling. Did some well known actress decide to go public with it, and a bunch of others jumped on the bandwagon? Did some big-shot reporter write an article about it in a well-known magazine?
2243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Maryland
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

Mishio1 wrote:

I haven't been following the whole Weinstein thing very much, so I am a bit curious about what got the ball rolling. Did some well known actress decide to go public with it, and a bunch of others jumped on the bandwagon? Did some big-shot reporter write an article about it in a well-known magazine?


Two journalists started this whole thing a few weeks ago. But it was a worst kept secret and over the years a joke or comment is made once in a while for decades. But I think the journalists wanted an article and got the idea for how huge the Cosby scandal was.

That's what I make of it. ( read up on this before posting to get the whole story because I also wasn't following this since it started,
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17
He's already fucked so.
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 10/20/17 , edited 10/21/17

ghostlygirl wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation on that one. But what I mean is even after they got an excessive amount of money already, they still kept silent. If it were me, once I famous enough and enough money I would have come out sooner. Not 25 years after my career started. I already know how greedy these Hollywood actors are. They story just seems more suspicious because some many women waited for so long when they already had the world in their hands for the past several decades.


Once you're famous and have enough money you could come out with an accusation, but that would pretty much be the end of your acting career and you'd be labeled a liar or a whore who sucked some old dude's dick to get famous for the rest of your life. It's a whole lot easier to just keep your mouth shut and keep raking in the money then to go through the whole process of filing charges on something that's incredibly hard to prove and will undoubtedly end with some people labeling you as a manipulative lying whore for the rest of your life. I mean, look at this very thread. There are already people out there trying to call these women liars. Sexual abuse is incredibly difficult to prove one way or the other, and it often comes down to your word against theirs. And when the weight of one's person's word far outweighs the other (through financial means or through coming from a position of power) it can seem like a hopeless case to the one suffering the abuse.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.