Post Reply What happened to crunchyroll
12043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/1/17
Haven't been on in a few weeks due to waiting for the new seasons to get a few episodes back come back to find that my account was compromised.... checked reddit and apparently this was a wide spread problem, what exactly happened?

Luckily this account doesn't share passwords with any other so they weren't allowed to compromise other accounts, or change my email. And thankful I no longer had billing info on the account due to transitioning to VRV to watch RWBY.

The thing that made me notice though was that they wiped my history and then filled it full of terribly generic shit.
Der Zoodirektor
26329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 11/1/17
According to haveibeenpwned.com password used in connection with your email address were stolen at least 5 times in recent years, including your funimation password. Are you sure that you didn't use the same password for funi?
47442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 11/1/17
There might've been a password leak, which I'm not aware of. But if you want to add extra protection then use a service like last pass and get a hashed password that's more secure then the once you can remember in your head. Just make sure to choose a service with great encryption if you go that route
Der Zoodirektor
26329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 11/1/17

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

There might've been a password leak, which I'm not aware of. But if you want to add extra protection then use a service like last pass and get a hashed password that's more secure then the once you can remember in your head. Just make sure to choose a service with great encryption if you go that route


We certainly have not been breached. It's usually possible to track down the source of the credentials with some fiddling on search engines.
12043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/17

shinryou wrote:

According to haveibeenpwned.com password used in connection with your email address were stolen at least 5 times in recent years, including your funimation password. Are you sure that you didn't use the same password for funi?


No funimation did not use the same password, and I'm skeptical of the validity of that website as half the sites it listed me as "compromised" from I've never actually had an account with.
12043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/17
And i just checked. Someone was still in my account watching shit post password reset. I find it very hard to believe that this site isn't compromised. That or they don't reset active logins when you change your password. which is terrible shitty security practice.
12043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/17
Found where to check connected devices. Found 3 which do no belong to me, so it looks like it was the latter. Even after a password change connected devices must not ask for the updated password, which is just shit security practices, this isn't 1999 anymore this kind of shit should be updated.
47442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 11/2/17

Applesaucey wrote:

And i just checked. Someone was still in my account watching shit post password reset. I find it very hard to believe that this site isn't compromised. That or they don't reset active logins when you change your password. which is terrible shitty security practice.


There's not such activity on my acc and just asked some friends who also say there's no such activity on their account.

It's just your password being weak or you just have a keylogger on your devices that leaks your "new" password to whoever is targeting you. Have to tried looking for malware, virus infections or look if there's someone logging your network activity. Please make sure to do that and encrypt your data properly
You must be logged in to post.