First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply DIsabling parts of the brain can reduce faith in God and improve attitude towards immigrants
206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/5/17

niotabunny wrote:

sounds like another step towards 1984 to me. which doesn't surprise me, that's how toxic people stay in power, they create such nasty tactics, even if it means forcing. I wonder if it's 100 percent or some cases where the brain will reject it. such with the device that alters and/or deletes bad memories. people are also idiots to allow such testing in all honesty. but if they offer money I guess some people will do just about anything?


Since I worked specifically on what you are mentioning I think I am able to give some insight into this. When I began looking into the debate (memory manipulation/deletion) I was quite against it. But, there are some cases in which most people would agree that memory deletion, at least the emotional part, would not be a bad idea. Imagine someone was raped, had to live through the horrors of war or had another extreme traumatic event in their life. Many of these people have to suffer for the rest of their lives, through no fault of their own. Yes, there are people who ultimately learn to deal with it. But there are also people who in the end either lose all sense in life and/or decide to take it.
If it is the only thing that will help them, memory manipulation might not be such a bad thing for them.
Of course, this can be abused and used to create evil things. Nevertheless it seems cruel not to try and help people like the ones I have mentioned if we are able to.

Edit:

dulun18 wrote:

How do you disable part of the brain btw?


Short answer: you don't. It is a fancy word used for inducing an electrical current in rather large brain areas (i.e. you cannot control it as specific as it might be needed to). The idea is that the affected part cannot function and therefore is "disabled" until you stop inducing the current. Since the brain is widely connected etc. the story is a lot more complex though.
The only true way of disabling parts of brains I know of is to cut parts out, or make cuts into it in general, which is rather irreversible of course.
5661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/5/17
not all the time is the memory erase effective, sometimes there have been trigger moments where it's undone all that was done, it's not entirely effective as of yet. sure, it's a good idea maybe, but I'm against using this to manipulate the mind of people who haven't suffered anything and just want to control them.
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/5/17

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:

Oh, okay. What could have been an interesting article was smothered with malicious intent, and also spawned a suspicious thread. Awesome.


Exactly. He basically took the article and twisted it into "if you don't believe in god and hate immigrants you're stupid." But what more can we really expect from this guy? He's been creating these types of threads forever.
206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/5/17

niotabunny wrote:

not all the time is the memory erase effective, sometimes there have been trigger moments where it's undone all that was done, it's not entirely effective as of yet. sure, it's a good idea maybe, but I'm against using this to manipulate the mind of people who haven't suffered anything and just want to control them.


Definitely. So far I haven't heard of anyone who was for using it to really control people. Well, there was one case. If someone spied on you while you were naked/having intercourse and this person was caught, you can sentence him to prison or let him pay a fine. But he will always have the memory of what you look like naked etc. (also works with other crucial information). Someone suggested that memory manipulation might be used to take away memory that was unlawfully acquired.

But yeah, I'd say 90% agree that it should only be used for extreme cases...if this will really be the case is a different question. And as you rightly said, you might relapse, which could lead to people "rediscovering" their traumatic event over and over again.
52857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Riding sound waves
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/6/17

DrunkKanti wrote:

Every time I read one of your posts I feel like another part of my brain shuts down.


You win the Internet today.
321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/6/17

DrunkKanti wrote:


Cardamom_Ginger wrote:

Oh, okay. What could have been an interesting article was smothered with malicious intent, and also spawned a suspicious thread. Awesome.


Exactly. He basically took the article and twisted it into "if you don't believe in god and hate immigrants you're stupid." But what more can we really expect from this guy? He's been creating these types of threads forever.


What is wrong with you? You have been very hostile to me the entire time I have been here.
3190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/6/17

jewishrapscallion wrote:

What is wrong with you? You have been very hostile to me the entire time I have been here.


Because in spite of your polite demeanor, the content of your posts and thread have a nasty partisan bend to them. That's presumably why people are saying you're Ruji using a alt. He did a lot of similar things with a similar style, but with a more abrasive demeanor. Considering the last bit is probably what got him banned, adapting a polite facade would be a logical step for him.
321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/5/17 , edited 11/6/17

Mishio1 wrote:


jewishrapscallion wrote:

What is wrong with you? You have been very hostile to me the entire time I have been here.


Because in spite of your polite demeanor, the content of your posts and thread have a nasty partisan bend to them. That's presumably why people are saying you're Ruji using a alt. He did a lot of similar things with a similar style, but with a more abrasive demeanor. Considering the last bit is probably what got him banned, adapting a polite facade would be a logical step for him.


I am just posting current happenings that I don't see. I posted another topic about what was happening on the DNC but it got closed for some reason. Can you tell why I included more than enough links with a wide variety of discussion points http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1005263/donna-brazile-says-clinton-took-over-dnc-rigged-primaries-and-she-feared-for-her-life#56885807 the mod has not replied to my question.

Are you people referring to Ruji the OP of Daily Donald? I had a drunk calling me and a a couple others Ruji alts in another thread it was strange.
55363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17
You mean like letting Demons and Satan invade our body? -_-;
runec 
41068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17

jewishrapscallion wrote:
I am just posting current happenings that I don't see. I posted another topic about what was happening on the DNC but it got closed for some reason. Can you tell why I included more than enough links with a wide variety of discussion points http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1005263/donna-brazile-says-clinton-took-over-dnc-rigged-primaries-and-she-feared-for-her-life#56885807 the mod has not replied to my question.


lorreen's explanation seems pretty self evident.
1453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17

jewishrapscallion wrote:
I am just posting current happenings that I don't see. I posted another topic about what was happening on the DNC but it got closed for some reason. Can you tell why I included more than enough links with a wide variety of discussion points http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1005263/donna-brazile-says-clinton-took-over-dnc-rigged-primaries-and-she-feared-for-her-life#56885807 the mod has not replied to my question.

Are you people referring to Ruji the OP of Daily Donald? I had a drunk calling me and a a couple others Ruji alts in another thread it was strange.


When posting new topics on Crunchyroll, the expectation is that you contribute something to encourage discussion.
Upon looking at the post you've linked in the above response, it appears that all you did was paste links.
It's equivalent to sending an army of URLs to a stranger/unknown person and expecting a genuine dialogue.
In fewer words, it is expected that you post your own thoughts on the matter when creating a thread on Crunchyroll.
Simply posting images, a singular sentence, or a bundle of sources is seldom considered "encouraging discussion".
I hope that clarifies why it was closed.

Focusing on the topic, the user "Secret-of-Terra" has stated most of the facts of the matter.
The phrasing of the article is inaccurate, as rTMS does not "shut down" your brain or portions of it.
As for the notion that the study shows that people who have rTMS tend to have less faith in a deity and more of a positive response to negative letters written about their country by an immigrant, that's pretty much common.
If the notion is correct, it would also imply that those who fear the mortal realm cling onto religion as their protective stance and that they were already slightly fearful of an immigrant prior to the study.
Why so?
Simple: it implies that "shutting down" (sic) parts of the brain lowers the individual's perceived threat levels.

Religion is a comforting thought; that a deity or deities are watching over you and that, on the condition that you do well, you will move to a happier place.
Immigrants are "foreign elements" and people often have a higher perceived threat level from them based off of environmental or subjective factors.
When you lower the perceived threat of not having a "happily ever after" or that an immigrant may or may not come at you with a van, your attitude towards these things will decline.
28261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17
I don't care about the whole "God" thing, but as for immigrants, keep away from my brain.
runec 
41068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17

Cydoemus wrote:
Religion is a comforting thought; that a deity or deities are watching over you and that, on the condition that you do well, you will move to a happier place.
Immigrants are "foreign elements" and people often have a higher perceived threat level from them based off of environmental or subjective factors.
When you lower the perceived threat of not having a "happily ever after" or that an immigrant may or may not come at you with a van, your attitude towards these things will decline.


Now that I've read through the study, the article is skipping a steps. What's happening in the study is people are responding to a threat to their own morality with an increase in conviction in an ideology that "solves" the problem of their own demise. The effect also extended to political ideologies, not just religious ones.

However, it should be noted that the study primed participants using only Christian themes and invoked reward / punishment because they needed a positive / negative test. They used imagery of Satan, Hell, eternal damnation and all that stuff to prime for a negative. So when the article says "belief in God" that's a bit of a red herring. The implied metaphysical threat in the study was one of judgement. Seeing as the whole fire and brimstone thing is fairly popular with certain strips of American Christianity I can easily see that triggering an over sized threat response in some people.





3190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17

jewishrapscallion wrote:

I am just posting current happenings that I don't see. I posted another topic about what was happening on the DNC but it got closed for some reason. Can you tell why I included more than enough links with a wide variety of discussion points http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1005263/donna-brazile-says-clinton-took-over-dnc-rigged-primaries-and-she-feared-for-her-life#56885807 the mod has not replied to my question.

Are you people referring to Ruji the OP of Daily Donald? I had a drunk calling me and a a couple others Ruji alts in another thread it was strange.


Considering how blatant your attempts to spin the article and others have been, I'm going to assume you're feigning ignorance. I highly doubt you could end up with your choice of subject line and words to describe the article unconsciously.

Yes, and I just explained the reasoning such accusations.
6086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 11/6/17 , edited 11/6/17
Yes, you could potentially shut down parts of the brain using magnetic field or electric field. During deep sleep most of your brain shuts down anyway. You could lock someone in a sleep state, but that just shows that the technology is bad, a natural sleep without dream memory is how it should be done. Although it's not really done at a neuronal level, else you could transfer this consciousness away. Our society have already merged as dream group being the center of this event. I urge other nations to do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRkXbTTYfSU
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.