First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Apple's Diversity Chief says whites can be diverse too
321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/17/17
An Apple diversity chief got fired because she said whites are as diverse as anyone else. Apple commented that is not how they see it. Can you say racism apple? Have you noticed this type of racism starting to happen more and more lately? Somehow whites are being made out to be some undiverse blob that cannot have diversity.





Apple’s diversity chief is stepping down after only six months on the job — after causing an outcry by saying that being a minority or a woman are not the only criteria for diversity, according to reports.

Denise Young Smith, who was named vice president of diversity and inclusion in May, made controversial comments last month during a One Young World Summit in Bogotá, Colombia.

“There can be 12 white, blue-eyed, blond men in a room and they’re going to be diverse too because they’re going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation,” the inaugural diversity chief said.

“Diversity is the human experience,” she said, according to Quartz. “I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color, or the women, or the LGBT.”


Her comments appeared to defend Apple’s overwhelmingly white and male leadership at a time when the company’s makeup is markedly uneven.

The 20-year Apple veteran, who previously served as the company’s head of worldwide human resources, later apologized for her remarks, telling the staff that they “were not representative of how I think about diversity or how Apple sees it.”

“For that, I’m sorry,” she said in an email. “More importantly, I want to assure you Apple’s view and our dedication to diversity has not changed.”

Smith will leave the company at the end of the year, TechCrunch reported. Taking over as VP of inclusion and diversity will be Christie Smith, who spent 17 years as a principal at Deloitte.

“We deeply believe that diversity drives innovation,” an Apple spokesman told TechCrunch in a statement. “We’re thrilled to welcome an accomplished leader like Christie Smith to help us continue the progress we’ve made toward a more diverse workplace.”
runec 
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/18/17

jewishrapscallion wrote:
An Apple diversity chief got fired because she said whites are as diverse as anyone else. Apple commented that is not how they see it. Can you say racism apple?


Diversity has a pretty specific meaning in this context and given that her entire job is suppose to be to understand that context it's not surprising she's being pushed out. She was hired specifically because Apple has a room full of white dudes problem that they were looking to try and change.

If you get hired as a dishwasher and you stand next to the dishes saying "Dirty dishes aren't *really* dirty and I get frustrated when people say they are." instead of, you know, washing them. You're going to get fired. -.-



jewishrapscallion wrote:
Somehow whites are being made out to be some undiverse blob that cannot have diversity.


"Gee, I can't imagine what that feels like."
- Every minority in America.

>.>
42571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
waffle
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/18/17
i dont really care what your race or genitals are, i don't care about any of that
all i care is that you're not an asshole POS personalty wise?
why can't everyone think like that? why can't everyone abandon foregone, outdated identity politics?
runec 
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/18/17

animegirl2222 wrote:
i dont really care what your race or genitals are, i don't care about any of that
all i care is that you're not an asshole POS personalty wise?
why can't everyone think like that? why can't everyone abandon foregone, outdated identity politics?


Well, first of all Apple's employee demographics pretty clearly demonstrate they're not "outdated". Second of all, a company trying to address a diversity problem isn't a political position in the first place. Third of all, all American politics is identity politics and has been for decades, so don't invoke it as a buzzword only when minorities come up.

12131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/17/17
Good on Apple for not keeping someone who thinks 12 people from the same group signify diversity in charge of diversity. Shame modern outrage culture has to protest the firing of someone who doesn't even grasp the definition of one of the words that makes up the name their position, but it's good to see that this hasn't treaded past a few internet trolls yet.
2021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/18/17
I get what she's saying and all that. Not all white people are the same. But in the context of her job, it's pretty clear the word diversity is referring to race and gender. Honestly, it was a pretty stupid thing for her to say, and I'm not surprised she's being forced out.
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/17/17
The New York Post article the OP pulled the content of his post from is itself based on a Techcrunch article that explicitly mentions that Denise Young Smith's departure from the company has nothing to do with the comments she made. The tone of the news headline is highly misleading and nothing in the article suggests anything to contradict the cause-and-effect relationship implied by the paratactic concatenation of the fact of young Young Smith's comments and that of her leaving the company.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/16/apple-vp-of-diversity-and-inclusion-denise-young-smith-is-leaving/


Young Smith had been talking with Apple CEO Tim Cook about the next phase of her career and life since about a year ago, according to a source. Over the last few months, Apple has been searching for a successor to replace Young Smith. It’s not quite clear, however, when exactly Young Smith decided she would leave Apple. But based on that timeline, it seems as though Young Smith made up her mind before those comments in Bogotá, Colombia for which she later apologized.
12828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/20/17
The useful idiots and water carriers are always the first to be put up against the wall.

News at 11.
runec 
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/17/17 , edited 11/17/17

mittemeyer wrote:
The New York Post article the OP pulled the content of his post from is itself based on a Techcrunch article that explicitly mentions that Denise Young Smith's departure from the company has nothing to do with the comments she made. The tone of the news headline is highly misleading and nothing in the article suggests anything to contradict the cause-and-effect relationship implied by the paratactic concatenation of the fact of young Young Smith's comments and that of her leaving the company.


Ah, of course. How foolish of us to take the op at face value. ><
39146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Charlotte NC
Offline
Posted 11/18/17 , edited 11/18/17
There is no "special" meaning behind diversity. It has the dictionary meaning of difference. Whites can of course be diverse. I am an older libertarian. I went to an incredibly liberal law school in 2012. I increased the schools diversity of opinion and led to many interesting debates.

As for the article - the techcrunch article might explicitly mention her departure had nothing to do with her comments but believing that seems silly to me. OF COURSE her comments led to her leaving. They had to find another official reason to ask her to leave - (she is an African American female after all) but without her comments they wouldn't have looked.
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/18/17 , edited 11/18/17

zaldar wrote:

There is no "special" meaning behind diversity. It has the dictionary meaning of difference. Whites can of course be diverse. I am an older libertarian. I went to an incredibly liberal law school in 2012. I increased the schools diversity of opinion and led to many interesting debates.

As for the article - the techcrunch article might explicitly mention her departure had nothing to do with her comments but believing that seems silly to me. OF COURSE her comments led to her leaving. They had to find another official reason to ask her to leave - (she is an African American female after all) but without her comments they wouldn't have looked.


Not believing the Techcrunch article is fine, but it seems odd to conclude that her comments "of course" were the reason for her exit from the company. It would be more consistent in one's skepticism to wonder whether anything unelaborated in the original story can be known at all. (The Techcrunch article is rather tentative, qualifying one of its assertions with the word "seems.") A person can leave a company for any number of reasons, and it would be reasonable to ask for more evidence before jumping to conclusions.
666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 11/18/17 , edited 11/19/17

animegirl2222 wrote:

i dont really care what your race or genitals are, i don't care about any of that
all i care is that you're not an asshole POS personalty wise?
why can't everyone think like that? why can't everyone abandon foregone, outdated identity politics?


Because institutional racism still exists. Ethnic minorities and women are statistically more disadvantaged than their white counterparts.

Why do people think they're bringing something new to the table when they say they don't see colour lol. It's the adult equivalent of ignoring a problem by covering your ears and shouting lalala
runec 
39464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/18/17 , edited 11/19/17

zaldar wrote:
There is no "special" meaning behind diversity. It has the dictionary meaning of difference. Whites can of course be diverse. I am an older libertarian. I went to an incredibly liberal law school in 2012. I increased the schools diversity of opinion and led to many interesting debates.


Diversity has a specific definition in this context and especially in the context of her job title and responsibilities. Trying to argue otherwise, with a semantic argument no less, is willfully ignoring the entire issue.

Especially given that the dictionary definition of diversity includes the definition used in this context. -.-




2021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 11/18/17 , edited 11/18/17

runec wrote:
Diversity has a specific definition in this context and especially in the context of her job title and responsibilities. Trying to argue otherwise, with a semantic argument no less, is willfully ignoring the entire issue.

Especially given that the dictionary definition of diversity includes the definition used in this context. -.-


Exactly. The number one definition of diversity is: 'the condition of having or being composed of differing elements: variety; especially :the inclusion of different types of people (such as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization.'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diversity

For reference.

When people are talking about 'diversity hires' they're not talking about hiring white people with differing opinions.
14378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / AH / Helipad
Offline
Posted 11/18/17 , edited 11/20/17
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.