First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Gender confusion?
784 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 11/20/17 , edited 11/21/17
no one gonna say Nagisa from assassination classroom? i kinda confuse a few early episodes. i know they are using -kun instead of -chan, and the subtitles also wrote boy instead of girl, but i just kinda confuse in the beginning, that's all (plus his body shape also resembles a girl lol)
10 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/21/17 , edited 11/21/17
Nermal was a female cat.
XavZz 
15128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leuven - Belgium
Offline
Posted 11/21/17 , edited 11/29/17

hafizarifff wrote:

no one gonna say Nagisa from assassination classroom? i kinda confuse a few early episodes. i know they are using -kun instead of -chan, and the subtitles also wrote boy instead of girl, but i just kinda confuse in the beginning, that's all (plus his body shape also resembles a girl lol)


I was going to mention Nagisa, but my first ever confusion must have been from Naruto.

HAKU

45844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/21/17 , edited 11/29/17
This may sound cliche but I've never felt confused about an anime character's gender or sex. After the "reveal" of Zoltar from Battle of the Planets and later Futaba Aoi from You're Under Arrest I realized there was a depth of character potential in anime that we just didn't see in US media. So I focused on the characters and waited to see what the story would reveal as it unfolded. "Are they an enjoyable character?" is the only question that comes up in my mind.

I hope that doesn't come off as pretentious. It's not meant to. It's just the lesson I've learned over the years about anime.
45915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 11/21/17 , edited 11/22/17

cyberfaust wrote:

Literally every character in Land of the Lustrous



Technically none of them have gender, but some use "boku" and everyone looks and sounds pretty feminine .


Confirmations ( or not ) for Land Of The Lustros / still gender bender

And I will use this for the rest of the season !


Regulars Phos

Though she hopes to fight the moon people, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' manager Adamantine asks her to edit a natural history magazine

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=19614

Cinnabar

Cinnabar is isolated from others because the gem's body produces a poison. The gem has a gloomy personality and a job patrolling the night. Cinn's hardness is only 2.

https://myanimelist.net/character/110357/Cinnabar

Rutile

He's the doctor and he's a bit insensitive. His hardness is 6.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123149/Rutile

Kongou-sensei / Adamantine

Strongest and scariest sensei. It's rumored that he actually lets his emotions to show on his face easily, so he's just frowning to cover it up. Teacher and protector of the gems, also serves as a father figure for the gems.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123147/Kongou-sensei


Jade

He's a prolocutor(:presiding officer :chairman.) and he's very serious. His hardness is 7.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123163/Jade

Euclase

He's a secretary and he's good at calculations. He's actually a jack of all trades who can pull anything off. His hardness is 7.5

https://myanimelist.net/character/123165/Euclase

Alexandrite

He's obsessed with moon people and demands everyone to call him Alex-chan. His hardness is 8.5

https://myanimelist.net/character/125269/Alexandrite

Bort

He's the strongest after sensei, and a battle maniac who has no interest in anything but combat. His hardness is 10.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123153/Bort

Diamond

He wants to be like Bort and tends to say odd things. His hardness is 10.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123151/Diamond

Yellow Diamond

The eldest and fastest. Yellow Diamond's hardness is 10.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123155/Yellow_Diamond

Amethyst

Left one (a.k.a. "84") is sociable and right one (a.k.a. "33") is phlegmatic. Their hardness is 7.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123157/Amethyst

Red Beryl

A tailor, obsessed with fashion. He has a new hairstyle each day. His hardness is 7.5

https://myanimelist.net/character/123169/Red_Beryl

Antarcticite

He's in charge of winter. He behaves like a soldier and like an only child. His hardness is 3.

https://myanimelist.net/character/123177/Antarcticite

Others or to appear



37668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17
I agree Hideyoshi from BakaTest was the first time I really remember gender being pointed out so explicitly (even though they were pretty firm with repeating "I'm a guy"). That anime's very funny, not sure what (if any) message about gender/sexuality it might portray with the variety of characters and contrasting opinions (many apparent homosexual characters, but then other characters matter-of-factly assert heterosexuality as "normal", a kind of casual dismissal.)

Nagisa from Assassination Classroom took a while too.

Not really their identity as characters, just how they were drawn and act based on our expected gender stereotypes (at least in manga/anime).

Alluka from Hunter x Hunter:
27317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M /
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17
Another case of gender confusion. Daruku Hoshino from Nanana's Buried Treasure.
xxJing 
42254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

Gafennec wrote:

Another case of gender confusion. Daruku Hoshino from Nanana's Buried Treasure.


I find him a little funny. Despite looking like a girl, he's actually quite a heterosexual pervert.
27317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M /
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:

Another case of gender confusion. Daruku Hoshino from Nanana's Buried Treasure.


I find him a little funny. Despite looking like a girl, he's actually quite a heterosexual pervert.


Oh I agree. I loved the show and wish there was more of it. Tensai Ikkyū is kinda funny since she refers to herself as a master detective and genius and if I understand correctly her given name means genius.
xxJing 
42254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

Gafennec wrote:


xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:

Another case of gender confusion. Daruku Hoshino from Nanana's Buried Treasure.


I find him a little funny. Despite looking like a girl, he's actually quite a heterosexual pervert.


Oh I agree. I loved the show and wish there was more of it. Tensai Ikkyū is kinda funny since she refers to herself as a master detective and genius and if I understand correctly her given name means genius.


It's a homonym of genius, however the way it's spelled, it means natural disaster. Her name literally means, First Class Natural Disaster.
27317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M /
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:
Oh I agree. I loved the show and wish there was more of it. Tensai Ikkyū is kinda funny since she refers to herself as a master detective and genius and if I understand correctly her given name means genius.


It's a homonym of genius, however the way it's spelled, it means natural disaster. Her name literally means, First Class Natural Disaster.


Hahahahahaha! That's even better. I wish I knew Nihongo so I can figure out the names of the characters since that is a clue to the character's nature. For example my poor translation (using Japanese-English dictionaries) translated Akane Tendou into Angry Cherub. I found out that was wrong, but I've since forgotten the truer translation.
7581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

bluepills123 wrote:

Nermal was a female cat.

nope
http://garfield.wikia.com/wiki/Nermal


Gafennec wrote:


xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:
Oh I agree. I loved the show and wish there was more of it. Tensai Ikkyū is kinda funny since she refers to herself as a master detective and genius and if I understand correctly her given name means genius.


It's a homonym of genius, however the way it's spelled, it means natural disaster. Her name literally means, First Class Natural Disaster.


Hahahahahaha! That's even better. I wish I knew Nihongo so I can figure out the names of the characters since that is a clue to the character's nature. For example my poor translation (using Japanese-English dictionaries) translated Akane Tendou into Angry Cherub. I found out that was wrong, but I've since forgotten the truer translation.

Well the "angry" part sure seems to fit

xxJing 
42254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

Gafennec wrote:


xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:
Oh I agree. I loved the show and wish there was more of it. Tensai Ikkyū is kinda funny since she refers to herself as a master detective and genius and if I understand correctly her given name means genius.


It's a homonym of genius, however the way it's spelled, it means natural disaster. Her name literally means, First Class Natural Disaster.


Hahahahahaha! That's even better. I wish I knew Nihongo so I can figure out the names of the characters since that is a clue to the character's nature. For example my poor translation (using Japanese-English dictionaries) translated Akane Tendou into Angry Cherub. I found out that was wrong, but I've since forgotten the truer translation.


So as far as Ranma 1/2 goes, Akane's entire family has a theme to their naming.

Tendou literally means Heavenly Way. It has to do with Buddhism, I'm not 100% sure what it's deeper meaning is.

Then each of their given names has to do with clouds.

Soun is a historical name that contains the character for cloud in it
Kasumi means mist
Nabiki means to wave, and occasionally used in combination with the word for cloud as Nabikigumo to refer to wavy clouds.
Akane means red, and occasionally is used as Akanegumo to refer to the reddish clouds you see at dusk and dawn.
37 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/29/17
The one that still gets me is Kino. Her usage of boku just throws me off and I end up seeing her as a guy. I really can't tell by just seeing her act.


MadeDragon wrote:

Don't use "trap." It's demeaning.



Why do people think it's demeaning? It came up sometimes lately and I can't really wrap my head around it. Those who use "trap" usually are surprised by it, therefore it was so good that they were fooled.
There were claims that it would be a demeaning word for transgender, but I have yet to encounter such a usage. As far as I know, traps usually don't see themselves as transgender or have the wish to transfer. Without derailing this thread too much, would you elaborate on your claim that "trap" would be demeaning?
194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Britainistan
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/29/17
traps better than real girls!
being attracted to traps is not gay!
194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Britainistan
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17

vilvec wrote:

The one that still gets me is Kino. Her usage of boku just throws me off and I end up seeing her as a guy. I really can't tell by just seeing her act.


MadeDragon wrote:

Don't use "trap." It's demeaning.



Why do people think it's demeaning? It came up sometimes lately and I can't really wrap my head around it. Those who use "trap" usually are surprised by it, therefore it was so good that they were fooled.
There were claims that it would be a demeaning word for transgender, but I have yet to encounter such a usage. As far as I know, traps usually don't see themselves as transgender or have the wish to transfer. Without derailing this thread too much, would you elaborate on your claim that "trap" would be demeaning?


it is not in anyway demeaning. it just means she looks like a cute girl you find attracted and fall for. than you get lewd feelings for her and find out its really a dude. u got trapped and now u gay xD.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.