First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply What is the worst anime you've ever watched, and why?
24726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/17 , edited 12/8/17
As always its Death Note. Diabolus ex machina, roulette gambits, and zero dimensional characters galore. The show tries to pull a fast one on you pretending its something smart, but nothing holds up if you take 2 seconds to think about it. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a self insert fanfic by some angsty narcissistic teen who thinks they are smarter and wiser than they really are. Its the only anime I can think of that I absolutely hate.
1465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/17 , edited 12/2/17
Growlanser IV: The Wayfarer of Time. they try to cram an entire JRPG into a 30 minute OVA. does not work. do not do.

Dead Leaves. 50 minutes of nonsense.

Kyousougiga (web ova) way too rushed, tried to cram too much stuff into 30 minutes and was just horrible. watch the full series instead. it took the original concept and everything from the web ova and fleshed it out in a 10 episode season, and it did it wonderfully.

In Another World With My Smartphone. nothing but horrible self-insert wish fulfillment garbage. the one sole good thing about that series was the ED done by BuzzG.

Kyoukai no Kanata. I was originally excited for this. the prospect of a dark fantasy done by KyoAni where they could put the same kind of action and fun that was in Chuunibyou into a serious anime. starts off with one idiot with a glasses fetish, and one idiot that's a siscon, along with a weak protag who wears glasses so that glasses perv would be interested in her, and siscon's bitch of a sister. from there it devolves into nonsense and typical KyoAni moeblob BS. speaking of KyoAni.....

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren. took everything that made the first one good, and kept almost none of it. also introduced crappy melodrama romance plotline.

Attack on Titan.


could go on, but that's enough for now.
400 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Quebec, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/1/17 , edited 12/2/17

PandaSamaBoi wrote:

K-On
SAO
School Days
Akame Ga Kill
Dragon Ball Z
Black Clover
Classroom of The Elite
Tokyo Ghoul


Bam.


Why K-On and Tokyo Ghoul
1597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Strumpet House, N...
Offline
Posted 12/1/17 , edited 12/2/17

TheGamingGeneral wrote:


PandaSamaBoi wrote:

K-On
SAO
School Days
Akame Ga Kill
Dragon Ball Z
Black Clover
Classroom of The Elite
Tokyo Ghoul


Bam.


Why K-On and Tokyo Ghoul


Personally, I just cannot stand moe shows at all. They did just about nothing in the 2-3 episodes that I watched.

And Tokyo Ghoul... I was irritated by the fact that all the gore was censored on Hulu, it attracts edgy tumblr users, and apparently it didn't even follow the manga.... And I like to say that I hate it to spite my friend a bit lol.

62379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/17 , edited 12/2/17

GoldCrusader wrote:

With some of the anime I see listed here, some people need to watch more anime lol.

I usually always find something to enjoy in most shows I watch, but a few actually bored me to death.

Harmony
Sky wizard academy
Lances N'Masques


+1 for Sky Wizards Academy. That show is at the bottom of the barrel by every conceivable metric.
2410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / The Mormon land t...
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17
WTF is with these never ending worst anime threads... I'm super exhausted.
As always, the first one to pop into my head is Holy Knight. Everything was wrong about it.
Well, there is also Twin Star Exorcists. After a certain amount of episodes, the series becomes a bunch of fillers until the end, basically due to lack of materials. Many years too soon for that to get a 50 episode anime, since the chapters are done monthly. Now that I think about it... When was the last time a chapter came out?
10054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17
Dragon Ball series (always repeats from what I've seen)
Ore Twintail
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17

AsahinaInu wrote:

As always its Death Note. Diabolus ex machina, roulette gambits, and zero dimensional characters galore. The show tries to pull a fast one on you pretending its something smart, but nothing holds up if you take 2 seconds to think about it. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a self insert fanfic by some angsty narcissistic teen who thinks they are smarter and wiser than they really are. Its the only anime I can think of that I absolutely hate.


I would argue that the appeal of Light as a character is that he is an angsty narcissistic teen, and he's a monster for indulging his ego. I'm not saying you're wrong about how the show makes you feel, but if you think of Light from a different perspective you might enjoy it a bit.




Gate is the only so bad it's good anime I've watched other than Garsey's Wing, but I dropped it once the terrible awful stupid action stopped.

Berserk 2016. My friends and I basically watched it out of morbid curiosity to laugh at the animation, but it has the terrible side effect of being how we consumed that arc of Berserk for the first time. We've seen the 1997 anime and the movies though, so it hasn't turned us off the series.

Afro Samurai Resurrection. Gorgeous animation but it lost the story focus that the first series had.

Dropped Naruto at the time skip and Bleach after the Soul Society arc because I felt I could predict the entire story with, "main character loses to a stronger enemy, trains, beats the enemy, then hits a stronger enemy, etc."
379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Midlothian, Texas
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Yu-gi-oh Zexal. If you want to have any adult commit suicide or destroy the Earth they only have to watch 3 minutes of this even by accident...
24726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 12/4/17 , edited 12/4/17

Horatio_Svetlana wrote:


AsahinaInu wrote:

As always its Death Note. Diabolus ex machina, roulette gambits, and zero dimensional characters galore. The show tries to pull a fast one on you pretending its something smart, but nothing holds up if you take 2 seconds to think about it. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a self insert fanfic by some angsty narcissistic teen who thinks they are smarter and wiser than they really are. Its the only anime I can think of that I absolutely hate.


I would argue that the appeal of Light as a character is that he is an angsty narcissistic teen, and he's a monster for indulging his ego. I'm not saying you're wrong about how the show makes you feel, but if you think of Light from a different perspective you might enjoy it a bit.

My problem isn't that Light is narcissistic, rather that he seems like he was written by a fanfic writer that is narcissistic AND has no idea how to write a coherent story. Deathnote seems like the product of Annie Wilkes getting a hold of Deathnote's author and hobbling him while forcing him to write the story the way they think is best.

The way the story is written you get the constant vibe that the author is trying to paint Light as smart, when in reality hes just really really lucky. I'd argue that he is actually extremely stupid, its just that he's surrounded by people that are more stupid than he is, and he's just got a ridiculous advantage in circumstance rather than through any kind of personal merit.

Basically the story snaps my suspension of disbelief in half. It fails as a cat and mouse story because only one side is playing the game while the other is just drooling on the table. It also fails as any kind of character study as the characters are mostly one dimensional. The story isn't bad because of Lights character traits, its bad because it feels like Light is the one who wrote the story.

mnmike 
22541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/4/17 , edited 12/11/17
Most boring anime I've ever watched: Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku Wo

It's a romantic-comedy style harem, minus the romance or the comedy. The main guy is a jerk that does very little to actually make anyone really like him, no one actually feels any romantic connection with anyone else, and most of the side plots are completely nonsensical.

Most offensive anime I've ever watched: Freezing.

Admittedly I didn't get very far. It mixes violence and titillation in a perverse way: "Look, boobs! Oh, look, boobs on a girl whose arms have just been brutally severed!" Also, the first plot arc is literally about a girl who fights off a gang-rape attempt, but then the student council comes after her because they were upper-classmen and she didn't show them proper respect. Many anime don't respect women, but this one expects women to say "thank you" while being raped and mutilated
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/4/17 , edited 12/4/17

AsahinaInu wrote:


Basically the story snaps my suspension of disbelief in half. It fails as a cat and mouse story because only one side is playing the game while the other is just drooling on the table. It also fails as any kind of character study as the characters are mostly one dimensional. The story isn't bad because of Lights character traits, its bad because it feels like Light is the one who wrote the story.




Fair enough.
1541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Corpus Christi, T...
Offline
Posted 12/4/17 , edited 12/4/17

mnmike wrote:

Most offensive anime I've ever watched: Freezing.

Admittedly I didn't get very far. It mixes violence and titillation in a perverse way: "Look, boobs! Oh, look, boobs on a girl whose arms have just been brutally severed!" Also, the first plot arc is literally about a girl who fights off a gang-rape attempt, but then the student council comes after her because they were upper-classmen and she didn't show them proper respect. Many anime don't respect women, but this one expects women to say "thank you" while being raped and mutilated


I'd forgotten all about that one. I watched all of ten minutes of episode one before punching out. Looks like I made the right call.
8907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/4/17 , edited 12/4/17
I have a huge anime library, but there are only two anime videos that I regretted buying: Dragon Half and Gantz vol. 1. I got rid of both of them. Dragon Half was a bad combination of silly and ecchi. Gantz had amazing bad directing and a plot that I just didn't care for.

There aren't too many shonen shows (Dragonball, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tale, etc) that I can handle watching for long. But I am fond of Rumiko Takahashi stories.
24726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 12/5/17 , edited 12/5/17

Horatio_Svetlana wrote:

Fair enough.
Yeah I'm not saying anyone else can't like it. I just can't stand it myself.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.