First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Ben Shapiro News
159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Ben Shapiro News:
This was made as a topic for anything related to Ben Shapiro.
I wish for everyone to post anything from Daily Wire, videos of Ben, and anything Ben Shapiro related.
Discussions about his politics are welcomed. I myself am someone who agrees with everything Shapiro says.
Ben Shapiro is a man who famously said that facts don't care about your feelings and I myself agree.
I've lived for two years by that and I've been called numerous amounts of things.
Anyway, if you're a fan of Mr.Shapiro or a hater, I welcome you!
Discuss and post anything related to him.
I hope to learn more about him and his political stance from the community.
---
This was inspired by The Daily Donald.

24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Ah Trumps Alfred Rosenberg

hmm I guess he is more like Julius Streicher
159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17

uncletim wrote:

Ah Trumps Alfred Rosenberg

hmm I guess he is more like Julius Streicher


If you're saying that Ben in anyway supports Trump then you'd be wrong.
24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Sorry all xenophobic idiots look alike to me.

Oh and as far as not supporting trump he does a damn good impression of it

Now excuse me but after reading anything by that byproduct of a bad quaf I have to go shower
15829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / AH / Helipad
Online
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Always impressed at how well he speaks and responds to people who try to argue with him. We should have a Sargon of Akkad thread too.
-OlE- 
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Nebraska
Online
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Shapiro is a pretty good dude imo. from what i have heard from him he is pretty fair, he will call out his own if he thinks they are wrong. Don't agree with him on plenty of topics but he is probobly the most palatable right wing personality for me.
mxdan 
12223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
I actually used to watch a lot of Shapiro and I like his reasoning a lot of time. With that said he presents a pattern in his argumentation that tends to be illogical. He presents detail and context and postures like he is about to reach a logical conclusion but completely misses the mark and goes straight to an extreme or generalization based off of his information. He sits on logical fallacies in debate as well often but seems to get a pass more often then not.

I think he's smart. That's why is conclusive tactics seem all the more strange to me.
3691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Online
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17
Hum. I get my news from Vox and National Review, so I read a very small amount of Ben Shapiro. I think he's inferior as an intellectual - he has the conservative version of the rationalist anti-philosophy streak. Take that slogan - facts don't care about your feelings; it's very misleading, for there can be no facts without feelings. A "fact" can't exist without an interpretive framework within which it's generated, and after it's generated it can be interpreted in multiple ways. In other words, the interpretation that the fact depends on isn't itself a fact. Further, the world contains so many facts that we must choose to ignore an infinity of other facts to talk about a particular fact. Who decides which facts are important, and how do we make such decisions?

I happen to agree that the universe is indifferent to our opinions on it, but that's a rather bland statement: the universe is huge, and it doesn't care about the difference between a neutron star and a toilet. But facts aren't the same as the universe; they're pieces of information gleaned from the universe by people. And that process of translating and interpreting makes facts themselves contingent. In a way, facts are subjective too. And understand that this doesn't undermine any of our frameworks of knowledge: science reinterprets and discards facts all the time. For example, it's a fact that physical objects have positions. But "position" is an unusual thing for an elementary particle, as such particles often don't have "exact" positions, in the sense that you can say that it's "in" one place and not another. And this isn't just a question of science adding to our understanding; position is still a thing that makes sense - do we say that elementary particles don't have it, or that they do, but position now means something else? But the scientific examples are more complicated and harder to understand (and even many scientists are reluctant to admit such things); here's an easier one:

Bill Clinton has sexually assaulted multiple women. He is a Democrat and former President.

Here's another:

Donald Trump has sexually assaulted multiple women. He is a Republican and the current President.

Now, those facts read quite differently from each other, don't they? It's almost like they care about your feelings. Note especially how the arrangement of facts affects what they convey; one could play around with the order of those four sentences and see how different orders read differently. This happens because facts are constructed by people, even though they're true. Shapiro is too rationalist to consider such nuances; he'd likely call them relativist hogwash (or something, since I don't know his style of insult) - like everyone else who doesn't understand 20th-century philosophy.

I read a piece by the Daily Wire once; it was painfully simplistic. Perhaps it wasn't representative, but it was exactly what I'd expect from a news organization shaped by Shapiro. And thus, I shall attempt to hijack your thread to talk about Jonah Goldberg, one of the editors of the National Review. He is smart, and unlike Shapiro, he can write, and he's hilarious. Shapiro's writing style is sterile and simplistic, like he's a computer conveying information that you must insert into your heads; Goldberg's writing sings lustily. But more importantly, he pays attention to the deeper, subjective levels Shapiro misses. I think in one of his recent columns, Goldberg said something about how he wasn't going to write this or that opinion, because it'd be the easiest column in the world to write. In other words, everyone else was saying one thing, and Goldberg wanted to point out the thing that everyone was missing. Situational awareness like that is rare. I disagree with him the majority of the time, but his methods of analysis are spot-on. If you want to be a conservative, be like him.


uncletim wrote:

Ah Trumps Alfred Rosenberg

hmm I guess he is more like Julius Streicher

Shapiro is Jewish. What's wrong with you?

Further, while he is conservative, Shapiro frequently disagrees with and mocks Trump. Being obnoxiously combative - and wrong - may make you feel good, but it hurts rather than helps any of the causes you think you're supporting. (I sincerely hope "quaf" doesn't refer to something obscene.) I request that you refrain from such comments in the future.
2077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17

uncletim wrote:

Ah Trumps Alfred Rosenberg

hmm I guess he is more like Julius Streicher


Didn't know jews could be nazies.You learn something new everyday.
24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17

ronin99 wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Ah Trumps Alfred Rosenberg

hmm I guess he is more like Julius Streicher


Didn't know jews could be nazies.You learn something new everyday.


He is as about as Jewish as trump is christen lip service only and onlu when it suits their needs



24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17

It's your right to request something and my right to ignore it so good luck with that
3691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Online
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17

uncletim wrote:

It's your right to request something and my right to ignore it so good luck with that


So, you've doubled down on a false claim about Shapiro, pissed people off for no good reason besides self-satisfaction, and are veering towards antisemitism. You're literally arguing that Shapiro is an Uncle Tom; do you know how racist that is? And you're going to ignore being called out on all that? What exactly is your goal here? It's certainly not good or honorable.

Although, I guess if Trump acts like that, the left can too, am I right? I see very little difference between the two of you.
runec 
40996 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/4/17
Well, that escalated quickly.

24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17

auroraloose wrote:


uncletim wrote:

It's your right to request something and my right to ignore it so good luck with that


So, you've doubled down on a false claim about Shapiro, pissed people off for no good reason besides self-satisfaction, and are veering towards antisemitism. You're literally arguing that Shapiro is an Uncle Tom; do you know how racist that is? And you're going to ignore being called out on all that? What exactly is your goal here? It's certainly not good or honorable.

Although, I guess if Trump acts like that, the left can too, am I right? I see very little difference between the two of you.


Uncle Tom really? Wow just fucking wow, I am not even going to respond to that you are not worth the ban sweetie

Have a nice life

well at least have a life

3691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Online
Posted 12/3/17 , edited 12/3/17

runec wrote:

Well, that escalated quickly.



Pretty sure it started with an ignorant person calling a Jew a Nazi - and ended with said person dismissing a woman he couldn't argue with by calling her "sweetie". My comparison to Trump was more apt than even I realized. And saying "that escalated quickly" is a misleading response to what's actually happened. Like, seriously: uncletim's first and second comments were legitimately disgusting.

And wait a minute: apparently the appropriate response to my previous comment is so strong uncletim would get banned for it? What reassuring "liberal" allies I have.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.