First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Apu from the Simpsons is being called a racist stereotype that needs to be removed
122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/17
Storytime: When I was growing up I lived with my mother in the slums. We had convenience stores and fast food around every corner. And I kid you guys not, both the 7-11 and another local convenience store were staffed entirely by guys from India. I always thought it was amusing because it was exactly like Apu from the Simpsons.

So is it a stereotype? Maybe. But it's true for at least some Indians living in the USA, lol.
11833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

mitochondriaCell wrote:

Coming from indian ancestry when I first saw the Apu in the Simpsons. I was like 'OH WOW AN INDIAN PERSON IN A SHOW!' and yes while the accent is a little exaggerated, NONE OF US CARED because it's a COMEDY and a CARTOON!!

We were more interested in episodes that expanded on his character like how he had an arranged marriage. (my parents were arranged) and other things.

if you thought the accent was funny and offensive. You only think relative to the culture and environment you grew up in and are obviously so afraid of insulting anyone you PC everything.


Yep. Classic example of white guilt riddled SJW's being offended on others behalves and speaking for them. I really love seeing posts like this.
Hows Kholi going at the moment? Smith is on fire :)

Oh and Americans are bloody terrible at Australian accents as well. It always makes me laugh how bad they are at it. And the fact that the episode where the Simpsons made fun of Australia had a similar effect on me, i was like wow and yay! they're mentioning little old Australia on the Simpsons!
And it was funny how they portrayed as all living in the out back and/or all being drunkards.
But i guess it doesn't count if you stereotype white people? lol

Oh and I've worked with Indians and other Asians who were in arranged marriages.


Laviddi wrote:

Storytime: When I was growing up I lived with my mother in the slums. We had convenience stores and fast food around every corner. And I kid you guys not, both the 7-11 and another local convenience store were staffed entirely by guys from India. I always thought it was amusing because it was exactly like Apu from the Simpsons.

So is it a stereotype? Maybe. But it's true for at least some Indians living in the USA, lol.


Its the same in Australia. I can go for a walk 10 minutes down the road and there is a "Food works" and its run by Indians. Places like that are all over the place. But they more so seem to work in service stations here.
And Indian restaurants are everywhere. They have their own Grocery stores as well that sell all Indian style stuff.
They also run car washes where you can chill and have a drink or a meal while they wash your car.
None of those things are bad or should be considered offensive if stero typed. At least in my opinion.

EDIT: oh and another great example of this is the animated film "Coco". White SJW's had a cry about it and yet it was number one in the box office in Mexico and was on track to break the record for most successful film in Mexico ever if iam not mistaken? (not sure if it did break that record?)
519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Morioh, Japan
Offline
Posted 12/16/17
Wow, I'm so glad MrAnimeSK, a proud member of the SJW Police, can work out that something isn't offensive based solely on it not being offensive to him.

With such critical thinking skills, it's no wonder he's a member of the SJW Police.
11833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/16/17

LakeJucas wrote:

Wow, I'm so glad MrAnimeSK, a proud member of the SJW Police, can work out that something isn't offensive based solely on it not being offensive to him.

With such critical thinking skills, it's no wonder he's a member of the SJW Police.


White guilt mate? Even POC are laughing at white guilt weirdo's.
22866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/16/17

Laviddi wrote:

Storytime: When I was growing up I lived with my mother in the slums. We had convenience stores and fast food around every corner. And I kid you guys not, both the 7-11 and another local convenience store were staffed entirely by guys from India. I always thought it was amusing because it was exactly like Apu from the Simpsons.

So is it a stereotype? Maybe. But it's true for at least some Indians living in the USA, lol.


A stereotype where you are a self made man who owns his own business to provide for his family?! OMG so rassist!

That's the werid thing about all of this. This dude is probably the hardest working person in the Simpsons and he is the one they are concerned about. Not the rednecks, not mishandling nuclear materials by homer, not the mafia and Italians, not the evil rich man stereotype, and not any of the other hundred stereotypes in it. They are hyperfpcused on making the Indian the victim.


LakeJucas wrote:

Wow, I'm so glad MrAnimeSK, a proud member of the SJW Police, can work out that something isn't offensive based solely on it not being offensive to him.

With such critical thinking skills, it's no wonder he's a member of the SJW Police.


Even communists, the embodiment of being a leftist is laughing at the "white left"

So what does ‘white left’ mean in the Chinese context, and what’s behind the rise of its (negative) popularity? It might not be an easy task to define the term, for as a social media buzzword and very often an instrument for ad hominem attack, it could mean different things for different people. A thread on “why well-educated elites in the west are seen as naïve “white left” in China” on Zhihu, a question-and-answer website said to have a high percentage of active users who are professionals and intellectuals, might serve as a starting point.

The question has received more than 400 answers from Zhihu users, which include some of the most representative perceptions of the 'white left'. Although the emphasis varies, baizuo is used generally to describe those who “only care about topics such as immigration, minorities, LGBT and the environment” and “have no sense of real problems in the real world”; they are hypocritical humanitarians who advocate for peace and equality only to “satisfy their own feeling of moral superiority”; they are “obsessed with political correctness” to the extent that they “tolerate backwards Islamic values for the sake of multiculturalism”; they believe in the welfare state that “benefits only the idle and the free riders”; they are the “ignorant and arrogant westerners” who “pity the rest of the world and think they are saviours”.
519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Morioh, Japan
Offline
Posted 12/16/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:


LakeJucas wrote:

Wow, I'm so glad MrAnimeSK, a proud member of the SJW Police, can work out that something isn't offensive based solely on it not being offensive to him.

With such critical thinking skills, it's no wonder he's a member of the SJW Police.


White guilt mate? Even POC are laughing at white guilt weirdo's.


Nice, rolling out your issued SJW Police Thesaurus now, I see. Glad to see you on the Crunchyroll Forums protecting cartoons from Indians.
378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Gladstone, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/17/17

Ryulightorb wrote:

i mean they aren't wrong but removed? nah a bit of racist humour is fine.

There is a line though.


I disagree. I don't think there should be any limit or censorship when it comes to telling jokes or comedy in general. Nothing should be off limits because it's too "racist" or too "offensive".
11833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/17/17 , edited 12/17/17

LakeJucas wrote:


Nice, rolling out your issued SJW Police Thesaurus now, I see. Glad to see you on the Crunchyroll Forums protecting cartoons from Indians.


Cool story bro. What the fuck is a SJW police? and wtf are you talking about anyway? I aint protecting shit. How in the actual fuck did you take that out of what i wrote? lol ???
Protecting cartoons from Indians? haha
519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Morioh, Japan
Offline
Posted 12/17/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:


LakeJucas wrote:


Nice, rolling out your issued SJW Police Thesaurus now, I see. Glad to see you on the Crunchyroll Forums protecting cartoons from Indians.


Cool story bro. What the fuck is a SJW police? and wtf are you talking about anyway? I aint protecting shit. How in the actual fuck did you take that out of what i wrote? lol ???
Protecting cartoons from Indians? haha


Gee, I wonder how I came up with that conclusion

Maybe it's the last 50 or so posts you've made on the forum
11833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/17/17

LakeJucas wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:


LakeJucas wrote:


Nice, rolling out your issued SJW Police Thesaurus now, I see. Glad to see you on the Crunchyroll Forums protecting cartoons from Indians.


Cool story bro. What the fuck is a SJW police? and wtf are you talking about anyway? I aint protecting shit. How in the actual fuck did you take that out of what i wrote? lol ???
Protecting cartoons from Indians? haha


Gee, I wonder how I came up with that conclusion

Maybe it's the last 50 or so posts you've made on the forum


Well obviously you dont like me or my posts. But stop making shit up and putting words in my mouth. I have nothing against Indians you twat i was agreeing with the Indian guy that posted and siding with him and tried to talk to him about cricket.
Truth be told Indians can be annoying because they always cram so many people into one house or apartment even so they can be very noisy but i love Indian food and i love cricket and i have worked with many Indians.


233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Online
Posted 12/18/17
It is kind of irritating that if this one Indian guy says he doesn't care about something, it makes that thing fine because someone decides that that one Indian guy speaks for most Indian people.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that hearing assholes cat-call them with "Thank you, come again" all the time is what irritates many Indians about Apu, not necessarily Apu himself. I've seen Indians who just shrugged it off, and I suppose we could always get into the discussion that minorities will always have to grow a thicker skin than everyone else because they are minorities and then go off on some wild tangent with what-aboutisms about how it isn't impossible for non-minorities to be sensitive snowflakes about something or other.
22866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/18/17

mintyfraud wrote:

It is kind of irritating that if this one Indian guy says he doesn't care about something, it makes that thing fine because someone decides that that one Indian guy speaks for most Indian people.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that hearing assholes cat-call them with "Thank you, come again" all the time is what irritates many Indians about Apu, not necessarily Apu himself. I've seen Indians who just shrugged it off, and I suppose we could always get into the discussion that minorities will always have to grow a thicker skin than everyone else because they are minorities and then go off on some wild tangent with what-aboutisms about how it isn't impossible for non-minorities to be sensitive snowflakes about something or other.


Meh I got mocked because of a TV show. Still haven't watched it but I sure got mocked with it just by sheer naming coincidence. I'd say grow a thicker skin it happens to most of us.
11833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/19/17

mintyfraud wrote:

It is kind of irritating that if this one Indian guy says he doesn't care about something, it makes that thing fine because someone decides that that one Indian guy speaks for most Indian people.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that hearing assholes cat-call them with "Thank you, come again" all the time is what irritates many Indians about Apu, not necessarily Apu himself. I've seen Indians who just shrugged it off, and I suppose we could always get into the discussion that minorities will always have to grow a thicker skin than everyone else because they are minorities and then go off on some wild tangent with what-aboutisms about how it isn't impossible for non-minorities to be sensitive snowflakes about something or other.


Well if actual Indians complain then that's fine but iam willing to bet it was white SJWs that complained. And you're speaking for Indians now aren't you?
And if one Indian is offended dose that mean he/she should be able to speak for all Indians? it goes both ways.





233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Online
Posted 12/19/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:


mintyfraud wrote:

It is kind of irritating that if this one Indian guy says he doesn't care about something, it makes that thing fine because someone decides that that one Indian guy speaks for most Indian people.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that hearing assholes cat-call them with "Thank you, come again" all the time is what irritates many Indians about Apu, not necessarily Apu himself. I've seen Indians who just shrugged it off, and I suppose we could always get into the discussion that minorities will always have to grow a thicker skin than everyone else because they are minorities and then go off on some wild tangent with what-aboutisms about how it isn't impossible for non-minorities to be sensitive snowflakes about something or other.


Well if actual Indians complain then that's fine but iam willing to bet it was white SJWs that complained. And you're speaking for Indians now aren't you?
And if one Indian is offended dose that mean he/she should be able to speak for all Indians? it goes both ways.



I am basing what I am writing on common sense and on many opinions I've read. Hank Azaria, who does Apu's voice, might be a talented voice actor, but he is not Indian, and does a really absurd Indian accent that doesn't sound like a real Indian. If you genuinely cared about what Indians think about Apu, it is pretty easy to find plenty of opinions on the internet.

But it takes some common sense to be able to read through dozens of opinions and figure out whether there is a general consensus and what that consensus is.
11833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/19/17

mintyfraud wrote:


I am basing what I am writing on common sense and on many opinions I've read. Hank Azaria, who does Apu's voice, might be a talented voice actor, but he is not Indian, and does a really absurd Indian accent that doesn't sound like a real Indian. If you genuinely cared about what Indians think about Apu, it is pretty easy to find plenty of opinions on the internet.

But it takes some common sense to be able to read through dozens of opinions and figure out whether there is a general consensus and what that consensus is.


Eh i mean like i said before, Americans do a terrible job at acting as or portraying Aussies. Maybe its just because iam white that i dont get offended? My white privilege and all?
People need a thicker skin. IMO. But to each their own.
On a side note, all my Asian friends and co workers are cool with Asian stero types and jokes. They make racist jokes about other races as well and do impersonations. So what is considered offensive to one may not be to another.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.