First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime industry needs jail
11978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17


*Screams in mock horror* Oh noez..... D:
658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

mittemeyer wrote:

I sometimes wonder if people should feel shame, and it is times like when I am reading this thread that I am inclined towards "yes."

The artwork a person consumes says something about that person, just as the artwork that is sanctioned by a society says something about that society. How do we balance concerns for freedom with social responsibility? An age of consent is something that should be respected by society, and artwork in such a society should, if it is to be considered socially responsible artwork, respect that as well, even where fictional characters are concerned. Note that I am not arguing if it should be illegal, a point on which I am undecided. However, it should be considered in poor taste, and relentlessly campaigned against. The fact that people consume such artwork without regard to its implications is the point, and if no one is being hurt directly, one might ask: what about indirectly? The very failure to observe an age of consent is precisely the problem that criminal sexual offenders who target children have.

So yes, I am arguing that a taboo should be observed, for the reason that this taboo has a social function. If people are going to somehow argue that this leads to repression and thus more sexual crime, I would like to point out that I am not arguing for the banning of pornography and sexual expressivity as such. With all the porn that is available, is there a good reason why any of it should be animated, underage porn? Even ecchi depictions of underage characters is, at the very least, in poor taste.

That said, I know better than to think I am going to convince anyone who thinks otherwise.

OK, looks like I'm converting it to a serious discussion for a moment...

People usually say that illustrated underage art may lead to some people discovering their attraction to minors. I couldn't care less.

If somebody has their pedo side surface because of underage anime girls, that's none of my business. They are not being intoxicated and there is nothing making them watch the shit. If people are scared of possibility of awakening any taboo desires, they should avoid legal depictions of it. Being new to their under-attraction, the person in question was attracted to adults before and that doesn't change. That person is going to act according to their own morals, or by the fear of the law.

I'm not even saying it makes them like kids. I just don't want to deny the possibility, 'cause that would be irresponsible.

Otherwise we should try banning alcohol again, so that adults wouldn't get to like it too much. If they get to love it, they can drink more, and more often, and they can hurt others or drive drunk. Proven. Truly, it is a problem, having people in unaware, unstable and dangerous states powered by a seductive drug, causing both violence and victimhood of the cosumer. Should we just shun everyone who occasionally gets drunk? We don't. It is their own fault if they do something bad while drunk, as their alcohol consumption is their own responsibility. It's not up to us to make it illegal for everyone.

Age of consent is not a valid term nowadays. It doesn't matter to society anymore. Law says what it says, but people say 18. If I go to Washington and have sex with a 16yo, and everybody finds out, I'm dead to them, no questions asked. Nobody cares that AoC is 16 there.

By the way, it sounds to me like you're giving a go-ahead to hard social pressure. Social pressure makes people kill themselves. Though knowing first world mentality, it would be fun! Mainstream anime lover killed himself, now children are safer, let's celebrate!
That could actually happen. You say the P-word in front of a large audience, and the underage anime character tolerance problem is solved.
4718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17
hentai isn't a genre it's made of many things, such as panty shots, ecchi and nudity... but yes, Japan cartoons are full of lewd things, no cartoon is spared something related to hentai (perverted in Japan), from kid friendly to adult, however it ranges from minor, to large breasts and minor panty shots up to extreme such as nudity and/or sexual acts. reading reviews can help spare you from finding such things, be careful can find spoilers, but at least you'd know for a fact if it contains mature content you're not interested in. yes, I am not into hentai things, rarely watch it voluntarily, but can't help it if the plot fascinates me, but it can range from a lot to very little. happy hunting and viewing.

food for thought, Japan is one of the most perverted countries of the world.
658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

niotabunny wrote:
food for thought, Japan is one of the most perverted countries of the world.

If only they were on their way to legalize marijuana like the most of the modern world, they would be my favorite country in the world.
658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

HopexLight wrote:



*Screams in mock horror* Oh noez..... D:


Now that I saw that image, I cannot sleep anymore. There is this scary energy inside of me, and I am kinda suspicious they could be underage.
77481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Online
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17
"Cute" girls don't do it for me. Girls in general don't do it for me. neither do little boys.

The only thing I'm likely to feel is envy for their youth and the comely way they are drawn. Wish I looked as good.
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/16/17


Your argument boils down to "I don't give a shit, not my problem."



By the way, it sounds to me like you're giving a go-ahead to hard social pressure. Social pressure makes people kill themselves. Though knowing first world mentality, it would be fun! Mainstream anime lover killed himself, now children are safer, let's celebrate!
That could actually happen. You say the P-word in front of a large audience, and the underage anime character tolerance problem is solved.


"Social pressure" is also what prevents people from committing crimes generally. It is a caricature to suggest that all forms of "social pressure" be got rid simply because it leads to undesirable outcomes some of the time. That would mean getting rid of many things.
35304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

mittemeyer wrote:

"Social pressure" is also what prevents people from committing crimes generally.

I am fairly certain that it is the threat of jail time that prevents people from committing a crime.

By the by, from what I read earlier, your argument boils down to legislating your own tastes onto other people on the basis of thought policing.
12828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/16/17

cruelcore1 wrote:


HopexLight wrote:



*Screams in mock horror* Oh noez..... D:


Now that I saw that image, I cannot sleep anymore. There is this scary energy inside of me, and I am kinda suspicious they could be underage.


You are a bad person and God is angry with you.

"Thou shall not covert thy neighbours loli" is one of the core commandments of the bible.

As penance you must watch Boko No Pico and School Days back to back whilst praying to Jesus for forgiveness.


923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


mittemeyer wrote:

"Social pressure" is also what prevents people from committing crimes generally.

I am fairly certain that it is the threat of jail time that prevents people from committing a crime.


The sexual harassment claims against high ranking politicians are doing something, wouldn't you say? Do we have to only pick one--jail time or social pressure?

Making the sexualized depiction of underage people illegal could have unexpected side effects I haven't considered, and besides, I'm not altogether convinced that people's freedoms should be curtailed in this matter. What I do think is that ecchi and pornographic depictions of underage people should be discouraged.



By the by, from what I read earlier, your argument boils down to legislating your own tastes onto other people on the basis of thought policing.


Do you have a problem with anti-smoking campaigns because they legislate tastes of good health onto other people? I am puzzled as to why you might use the term "policing" as no coercion is involved whatsoever. Does Coca-Cola "police" people's thoughts by encouraging them to buy their product? Does Donald Trump's Twitter account "police" people's thoughts by encouraging them to vote Republican? The idea collapses upon deeper inspection.
35304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/16/17

mittemeyer wrote:

The sexual harassment claims against high ranking politicians are doing something, wouldn't you say? Do we have to only pick one--jail time or social pressure?

Top kek. Because the threat against the livelihood of a public figure is the exact same thing as it would be on an average joe. Rite


Making the sexualized depiction of underage people illegal could have unexpected side effects I haven't considered,

The fact that you feel the need to control what others are doing based on a simple consideration of what effects could be brought about is called thought policing.


and besides, I'm not altogether convinced that people's freedoms should be curtailed in this matter. What I do think is that ecchi and pornographic depictions of underage people should be discouraged.

And that is fine. I am not one to judge others based on their thoughts and opinions, but their actions. To each their own in that regard.

I, personally, don't find that kind of art to be offensive or inoffensive. I simply just view it as something I am not particularly interested in.



By the by, from what I read earlier, your argument boils down to legislating your own tastes onto other people on the basis of thought policing.



Do you have a problem with anti-smoking campaigns because they legislate tastes of good health onto other people?

Well.. No. Because there is definitive evidence that cancer is a direct result from smoking.

If you are referring to weed, however, then yes I do. Although, I feel that caution should be exercised around the substance, I feel that heavy use should be avoided simply because there is no real conclusive evidence on the substance, yet.


I am puzzled as to why you might use the term "policing" as no coercion is involved whatsoever.

Does Coca-Cola "police" people's thoughts by encouraging them to buy their product? Does Donald Trump's Twitter account "police" people's thoughts by encouraging them to vote Republican? The idea collapses upon deeper inspection.
You seem to be a bit unfamiliar with the term.
lawdog 
45941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/16/17

Rujikin wrote:

I'm not very concerned with drawings and their "age". Most aren't even a decade old in human years.

But the age of consent is 13 in Japan with some restrictions on it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent#By_country_or_region


You need to read more.

Because although that's the actual AoC for Japan, the only places it actually applies, perhaps, are uninhabited islands...and even there the Child Welfare Act forbidding fornication with anyone under 18, would probably apply. Also, the individual prefectures all have their own laws on the subject, setting ages and also setting exceptions. including for closeness of age as well as for romantic reasons with parental consent.

The one thing that the world can agree about regarding AoC is that no one can agree about it.

In the USA, 31 states set the age at 16, 8 at 17, and 11 at 18.

In Europe:

15 nations set the AoC at 14: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Montenegro, Portugal, San Marino, and Serbia;

12 nations set the AoC at 15: Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Iceland, Monaco, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Sweden;

20 nations set the AoC at 16: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Finland, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, Netherlands, Northern Cyprus, Norway, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine, and United Kingdom;


2 nations set the AoC at 17: Cyprus and Ireland; and

3 nations set the AoC at 18: Malta, Turkey, and Vatican City.

The other continents have similar disparities. One thing to note: There can be other issues, so never assume that just because a law says a certain age that there might not be important strings attached.
8554 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / a pop tart
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/16/17
Proceed with dank caution.

Proceed with dank caution.


Proceed with dank caution.


PROCEED WITH DANK CAUTION!!!!
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 12/15/17 , edited 12/15/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:
Top kek. Because the threat against the livelihood of a public figure is the exact same thing as it would be on an average joe. Rite


I gave one example. Would you like another?


The fact that you feel the need to control what others are doing based on a simple consideration of what effects could be brought about is called thought policing.


But I'm not actually controlling what others are doing. I am only trying to persuade people not to do something, which is very different. For example, you are trying to persuade me to stop persuading others. Aren't you being a little inconsistent? Couldn't what you're doing be considered thought policing?


Well.. No. Because there is definitive evidence that cancer is a direct result from smoking.

If you are referring to weed, however, then yes I do. Although, I feel that caution should be exercised around the substance, I feel that heavy use should be avoided simply because there is no real conclusive evidence on the substance, yet.


So your only problem is if there is enough evidence. If there isn't enough evidence, then you think I should be silent.



I am very familiar with the line of thinking and the failure to engage the critical faculties that it indicates. The term suggests coercion that is not there.
658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Croatia
Offline
Posted 12/16/17 , edited 12/16/17

mittemeyer wrote:



Your argument boils down to "I don't give a shit, not my problem."

You know what, I'll just leave it at that. Because, feeling-wise, I truly don't give much shit. I could argue for a week, I'd only feel nervous, instead of enjoying my study and lighting up a joint to some loli Miku MMD. Each of us would consider ourselves the winner and the other one the loser. Nobody is getting unconvinced.

I just noticed that anime community became judgemental without acknowledging what they consume and support. Ignoring sexualization, whether ecchi or just purposely attractive underage characters, doesn't make them non-consumers. So I decided to inform them through sarcasm. TBH it was fun until I started discussing shit again.


mittemeyer wrote:

You are a bad person and God is angry with you.

"Thou shall not covert thy neighbours loli" is one of the core commandments of the bible.

As penance you must watch Boko No Pico and School Days back to back whilst praying to Jesus for forgiveness.


School Days? Aw shit... I hoped I'd only go to prison... How cruel can you be... Now I won't be able to sleep or talk for a week...

Though at least it's not Clannad. I'm scared of watching Clannad.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.