First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Apple confirms software updates affected the performance of older iPhones
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/17 , edited 12/30/17

Cydoemus wrote:

As for Apple: https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/
It appears that Apple is going to drop the cost of battery replacement to $29 (from the standard $79) for the next year.
The phrasing here is quite interesting:


Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.


They never claim that they're disabling this "feature" (to improve battery life).
Instead, they state that they're going to give users the ability to see the "health" of the battery (much like laptop manufacturers did between 2006-2014, I'm imagining).
You know Apple isn't going to live this down so easily, Android users and fanboys alike will make sure this is a constant bullet point in discussions going further.

Also note: the page I linked directly to Apple's statement is on their front page but you have to scroll beyond their product offerings.
This is generic Apple logic - "Sure, we apologize but we don't want new customers to see it just in case they haven't heard of this yet."
They did the same thing when they had to apologize to Samsung on its UK page; they pushed the notice far from the top of the page and the apology was basically "The UK courts felt that Samsung isn't identical to Apple, but other courts think we're cooler. So there's that".


I'm sure Apple fanboys are doing the same thing to android or samsung fanboys-- Samsung Note 7 bomb meme will not go away anytime soon

is there a reason why they will not just stop providing OS update to old iphone owners instead of slowing them down with the most recent updates? I didn't get any OS update after 7..01 ? and and no security updates since April 2017 for my Nexus 6.

1371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/31/17 , edited 12/31/17

dulun18 wrote:
I'm sure Apple fanboys are doing the same thing to android or samsung fanboys-- Samsung Note 7 bomb meme will not go away anytime soon


That's quite true, too.
For all intents and purposes, the jokes have been "Apple kills your battery, Samsung uses your battery to kill you".
Having read r/gadgets recently, it does appear that most Apple users are in the mind that Apple was doing it for "their protection" unlike Samsung and other Android manufacturers.
So it's more than likely something that may cause some iPhone users to switch to Android but I wouldn't count on it being a massive shift in platform usage.


dulun18 wrote:
is there a reason why they will not just stop providing OS update to old iphone owners instead of slowing them down with the most recent updates? I didn't get any OS update after 7..01 ? and and no security updates since April 2017 for my Nexus 6.


Officially, iPhones are slowed down when their battery's overall health degrades by 20%.
Which means that they're not slowing down iPhones when updates are released.
Though, someone on r/dataisbeautiful decided to take the moment to make a graph showing Google searches of "iPhone slow" and matching it up to the dates of new iPhone releases and we see a trend like this:


Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/5b3djj/searches_for_iphone_slow_make_huge_spikes_right/

Even though Apple hasn't said that they slow down iPhones around release schedules, that data sure does seem to suggest a correlation/causation (loosely, mind you).
What happens is that the battery stops supplying as much power to the CPU, which happens to throttle its ability to run at full speed (which shows slowness to the user).
To be fair, I'm almost certain that some Android manufacturers do the same thing (to a lesser capacity) for safety reasons.
It's very likely why we haven't seen too many monumental strides in battery technology in the last few years too.
73230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 12/31/17 , edited 12/31/17
Knowing how Apple operates that it's easy to jump to the conclusion that they are intentionally making older products unusable with their software updates to get us to purchase new products for frequently. And lots of old features that I love about the old software gets lost with the updates as all they should be doing is improve performance. But instead they give things an extreme makeover and some features and apps just don't work with them. I realize that problem, but still I can't help but to see that Apple is doing all this intentionally to encourage sale of their newer products.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/17 , edited 12/31/17

Cydoemus wrote:

That's quite true, too.
For all intents and purposes, the jokes have been "Apple kills your battery, Samsung uses your battery to kill you".
Having read r/gadgets recently, it does appear that most Apple users are in the mind that Apple was doing it for "their protection" unlike Samsung and other Android manufacturers.
So it's more than likely something that may cause some iPhone users to switch to Android but I wouldn't count on it being a massive shift in platform usage.

Officially, iPhones are slowed down when their battery's overall health degrades by 20%.
Which means that they're not slowing down iPhones when updates are released.
Though, someone on r/dataisbeautiful decided to take the moment to make a graph showing Google searches of "iPhone slow" and matching it up to the dates of new iPhone releases and we see a trend like this:


Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/5b3djj/searches_for_iphone_slow_make_huge_spikes_right/

Even though Apple hasn't said that they slow down iPhones around release schedules, that data sure does seem to suggest a correlation/causation (loosely, mind you).
What happens is that the battery stops supplying as much power to the CPU, which happens to throttle its ability to run at full speed (which shows slowness to the user).
To be fair, I'm almost certain that some Android manufacturers do the same thing (to a lesser capacity) for safety reasons.
It's very likely why we haven't seen too many monumental strides in battery technology in the last few years too.


is there a need to divide it into Samsung, HTC, etc.. aren't they all all android phones? If you just have 2 lines of Apple vs Android. The android line would be half of Apple no ?
1371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/1/18

dulun18 wrote:
is there a need to divide it into Samsung, HTC, etc.. aren't they all all android phones? If you just have 2 lines of Apple vs Android. The android line would be half of Apple no ?


Of course.
Just because they all run on the same core operating system, each have their own "take" on Android.
This is why upgrades for non-Google phones can take a while, as they're applying their UI on top of Android - and other "system tweaks".
Another way of saying this is: "Not all Android phones are created equal."

Samsung has TouchWiz.
HTC has Sense.
Android/Google has the Google Launcher (with some custom tweaks on Pixel devices these days).
Xiaomi has MIUI.
The list goes on and on and on.
Which means that even if Google doesn't push out Android updates that "slow down your device for battery optimization", Samsung could take Android 8.0 and put TouchWiz on top of it that does slow down your phone.

3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/1/18

Cydoemus wrote:


dulun18 wrote:
is there a need to divide it into Samsung, HTC, etc.. aren't they all all android phones? If you just have 2 lines of Apple vs Android. The android line would be half of Apple no ?


Of course.
Just because they all run on the same core operating system, each have their own "take" on Android.
This is why upgrades for non-Google phones can take a while, as they're applying their UI on top of Android - and other "system tweaks".
Another way of saying this is: "Not all Android phones are created equal."

Samsung has TouchWiz.
HTC has Sense.
Android/Google has the Google Launcher (with some custom tweaks on Pixel devices these days).
Xiaomi has MIUI.
The list goes on and on and on.
Which means that even if Google doesn't push out Android updates that "slow down your device for battery optimization", Samsung could take Android 8.0 and put TouchWiz on top of it that does slow down your phone.


I disabled all the useless apps that i can't remove on my Nexus 6. The main reason you have slow down on Samsung phonesand other brands is probably because of all the bloatware. There are a many useless apps that you can't remove i would disable all the them though.

Xiaomi was on the phone about sending users' data back to China or something? It might be some other Chinese brands though.
21940 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/1/18
Not surprised my Iphone 5C runs slower than my amazon fire tablet I just picked up for $30. It's now a slow piece of crap that can barely run videos and a battery life that is very unimpressive. As soon as it dies I'm getting a samsung like everyone else.
Often I wonder if I'd just be better off getting a real cheap piece of junk to use that has better battery life for phone calls and keep one of my tablets on me to use on my work's, school's and house's wifi network for videos and music.
Hell, sometimes I miss my Nokia brick phone I had in the 90s, sure you couldn't do squat other than text and call, but the battery would last for a solid week, with the new phones I'm lucky if my charge lasts a day. The best part about non-apple phones swappable batteries and the ability to add SD cards. My last android I used to charge a spare so I never had to wait and I had more memory than my current phone.

A phone is primarily for calling people, I will never understand the point of a $800-1000 phone for non business folk. This announcement probably changes nothing for me, I've been very dissatisfied with apple, phone worked amazingly for 1-2 years then became crap, already had to replace their faulty charger port. This was my experience with android, but the phones were only like $100-200 so it didn't matter as much. You'd expect a longer reliable life for something that is so expensive.

Honestly, if the battery is really the problem then notify users when power is reduced so that we can buy a replacement battery and ditch the current one. I could easily get this done at my local third party phone repair and service station at the mall bypassing the Apple "geniuses" price gouging nonsense. Somehow I doubt they want us doing this...
1371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/3/18 , edited 1/3/18

dulun18 wrote:
I disabled all the useless apps that i can't remove on my Nexus 6. The main reason you have slow down on Samsung phonesand other brands is probably because of all the bloatware. There are a many useless apps that you can't remove i would disable all the them though.

Xiaomi was on the phone about sending users' data back to China or something? It might be some other Chinese brands though.


Naw.
When you buy a phone outright, you don't have any bloatware other than some of the "feature software".
Sometimes the firmware ROM that other manufacturers use have limitations in and of themselves.
During the whole Note 7 fiasco, Samsung pushed out updates that prevented users from overcharging and from letting their battery power go below 28% (or something like that).
The point remains is that each manufacturer handles updates differently.
My Samsung S8+ is lightning fast but I'm also upgrading to the Note 8 (should be here today but I'm off for three days for work travel).

And yeah, Xiaomi was the one sending data back to China.
Thing is - most carriers are okay with that (just like how ZTE used to have a backdoor for the Chinese government and carriers still sell their devices).

3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/18 , edited 1/10/18

Cydoemus wrote:

Naw.
When you buy a phone outright, you don't have any bloatware other than some of the "feature software".
Sometimes the firmware ROM that other manufacturers use have limitations in and of themselves.
During the whole Note 7 fiasco, Samsung pushed out updates that prevented users from overcharging and from letting their battery power go below 28% (or something like that).
The point remains is that each manufacturer handles updates differently.
My Samsung S8+ is lightning fast but I'm also upgrading to the Note 8 (should be here today but I'm off for three days for work travel).

And yeah, Xiaomi was the one sending data back to China.
Thing is - most carriers are okay with that (just like how ZTE used to have a backdoor for the Chinese government and carriers still sell their devices).



"feature software" is that what you would call those useless apps that you will never use but can't uninstall on your phone Barebone android phones (eg. google phones) are quicker or as quick than most Samsung phones.

You upgrade your phone every year? what do you do with the old phones or data on the phone? you cloud stored everything ?


*update*

How to Get Your iPhone Battery Replaced
Advice from CR's experts on where to go and what to do to take advantage of Apple's $29 offer

https://www.consumerreports.org/smartphones/how-to-get-your-iphone-battery-replaced/
1371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/9/18

dulun18 wrote:
"feature software" is that what you would call those useless apps that you will never use but can't uninstall on your phone Barebone android phones (eg. google phones) are quicker or as quicker than most Samsung phones.


That used to be the reality.
Now that TouchWiz has finally slimmed down and you don't have to enable encryption out of the gate, they're often faster than Google's own Pixels/Nexus phones.
The trick is that sometimes you have to purchase one of the International Models with Samsung's own Exynos processor over Snapdragon - they're actually fast as hell.
Even so, the Snapdragon models aren't slackers either.
Google manages applications differently than Samsung and LG.
Samsung keeps applications running in the background, while Pixel phones actually kill off the app and restart it from the get-go (so it gets slower).


dulun18 wrote:
You upgrade your phone every year? what do you do with the old phones or data on the phone? you cloud stored everything ?


I upgrade two or three times a year, at most.
My Samsung Galaxy S8+ survived from last April until just past the New Year.
I realized I had not upgraded in so long that it felt weird, so I went and ordered a Samsung Note 8.
I don't really care about the data on the phones - I wipe them several times using their manufacturer's desktop software and carry on.
Google Photos stores about 90% of my photos, only about 5% of them I care about.
Most of my "vital photos" are taken with an actual camera, versus that of a phone on a camera.

Like something as silly as below can be something I'd like to keep (because it was taken with a telephoto lens and all):



Most Android phones now use "Smart Lock" password sync so it logs you in the moment you first launch an application.
Samsung has a "Smart Switch" app that allows you to connect to your old phone and transfer it all over in about 3-4 minutes (applications, app data, and photos) that I used with the most recent update.
My only problem is Google Authenticator.
Most of the companies that the company I work with has partnered with use 2FA through OKTA or Google Authenticator.
I have 70 different tokens I have to revoke from the old phone and renew on the new phone each time.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.