First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What is the closest anime to real life ???
3104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mega-City One
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17
How could I forget March Comes In Like A Lion? The MC is a prodigy, but it's very realistic--sometimes depressingly so.
80369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
from the South Bay
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17

serifsansserif wrote:


iashakezula wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:

daily life of high school boys


too funny

Was kinda serious. I liked the series, and the characters were like your average boys, and I honestly can't remember anything about it that seemed fantastical.
Most slice of life that I can think of still have some fantastical elements or do things that would be kinda verboten.


I am not saying your choice is not serious. That series made me laugh a lot. The main characters just did a lot of silly things ie. Tadakuni got manipulated to wearing his sisters uniform and getting caught .It maybe a slice of life but its mainly a comedy.

Another anime I thought that is realistic enough is the anime about rakugo, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. That anime was more of a drama, so the relationship among the characters their interactions are close enough.
Another anime with music that had a bit of realism was Kids on the Slope.http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slopeIts a coming of age type of title and a drama.
4054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / F / London
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17
Agreed on Sweetness & Lightning. I think it's the first anime I can think of where the kid actually seems like a realistic kid and everyone actually acts their ages.

There's romance-y ones like Say I Love You too, though it does have that whole tired trope of "make over the shy/geeky/ugly girl" thing though let's face it, the girls are never ugly to start with. Kimi ni Todoke is similar to that (in that case, the girl is painfully shy and looks like the girl from The Ring and is an outcast). They are worth a look though because there are some really good moments in there.

Toradora is definitely good too with enough realistic stuff thrown in that it is grounded.
1485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Corpus Christi, T...
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17

iashakezula wrote:
Another anime with music that had a bit of realism was Kids on the Slope.http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slopeIts a coming of age type of title and a drama.


Just started watching this on a whim, and it's absolute gold so far.
21205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17
3-Gatsu no Lion for sure.

Also yeah I would say Sweetness and Lightening.

I would also say in a more lighthearted way... Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken (I can't understand what my Husband is saying). the dialog is great and a true story of opposites attract romance and a couple that doean't always talk to each other in a way they can understand. One of my favorite short series of all time.
11316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17

iashakezula wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


iashakezula wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:

daily life of high school boys


too funny

Was kinda serious. I liked the series, and the characters were like your average boys, and I honestly can't remember anything about it that seemed fantastical.
Most slice of life that I can think of still have some fantastical elements or do things that would be kinda verboten.


I am not saying your choice is not serious. That series made me laugh a lot. The main characters just did a lot of silly things ie. Tadakuni got manipulated to wearing his sisters uniform and getting caught .It maybe a slice of life but its mainly a comedy.

Another anime I thought that is realistic enough is the anime about rakugo, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. That anime was more of a drama, so the relationship among the characters their interactions are close enough.
Another anime with music that had a bit of realism was Kids on the Slope.http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slopeIts a coming of age type of title and a drama.


Rakugo WAS good. I also am hoping to watch Nitaboh, which may be fairly realistic too from the description...
3104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mega-City One
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17

kimpauley wrote:
Agreed on Sweetness & Lightning. I think it's the first anime I can think of where the kid actually seems like a realistic kid and everyone actually acts their ages.

March Comes In Like A Lion's Momo and Hina are pretty good too. I'm in the middle of The Flying Witch, but I really appreciate that the brother and sister have a normal relationship.


There's romance-y ones like Say I Love You too, though it does have that whole tired trope of "make over the shy/geeky/ugly girl" thing though let's face it, the girls are never ugly to start with. Kimi ni Todoke is similar to that (in that case, the girl is painfully shy and looks like the girl from The Ring and is an outcast). They are worth a look though because there are some really good moments in there.

Say I Love You's Mei was more a bullying victim than someone needing a makeover. The interactions there were pretty realistic.

Which tangentially reminds me that Watamote is pretty insightful into the kind of self-destructive thinking that the weird kids often have. (The anime is a better story than the manga.)


Toradora is definitely good too with enough realistic stuff thrown in that it is grounded.


Taiga is over the top the first episode but after that it is a surprisingly realistic rom com, especially at the end.
4054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / F / London
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17
True about Say I Love You -- it's been awhile since I read/watched that one, but you're right. Mei is definitely bullied in the beginning. I found it to be quite real. I haven't tried March Comes in Like a Lion yet or The Flying Witch, but they are on my list to try. I have to admit I can't stand it when anime/manga go into the whole "I really love big/little brother/sister" and find that a bit creepy! I've had to quit watching a few because of that. I'm sure it happens in real life but surely not as often as it occurs in anime.
20848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17
Sakura Quest
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/30/17
The movie "Garden of Words" has very realistic animation / visuals. Try it out if you haven't already
7423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / 'Murica
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/30/17
Neon Genesis Evangelion. It could have been based on my day to day life.
Damn Angels keep falling on my house...
3104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mega-City One
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/30/17

54bubbles wrote:

Sakura Quest


Another "obvious" one that took too long to be recommended. Thx.
116944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
70 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/30/17
5 cm / sec: anyone who has been connected with an organization, company, corporation in a managerial position moves a lot. If these people have offspring he / she / they move often with the parent(s) until codependency wanes. My early life is reflected in this anime. Only the names and scenes have been changed to protect the guilty.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien aka Rumbling Hearts: believable study of triangulation PTSD and its affects / effects on siblings and close friends over time.

Psycho Pass: smart weapons and AI use notwithstanding the show does a decent job examining trust issues among job cohorts when placed under stressful conditions whether real or imaginary.

Scum's Wish: kids, through immature development of analytical coping and thinking skills can create a similar life pattern or trajectory and fall tragically into similar life patterns as their rationally immature parent(s), older siblings, or friends.
36337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/29/17

bemused_Bohemian wrote:

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien aka Rumbling Hearts: believable study of triangulation PTSD and its affects / effects on siblings and close friends over time.


Was just about to recommend this one.

Anyone who wants a show where having adult characters actually makes a difference should also check this one out. Still though, be aware that it is brutally realistic.
3104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mega-City One
Offline
Posted 12/29/17 , edited 12/30/17

kimpauley wrote:

True about Say I Love You -- it's been awhile since I read/watched that one, but you're right. Mei is definitely bullied in the beginning. I found it to be quite real. I haven't tried March Comes in Like a Lion yet or The Flying Witch, but they are on my list to try.


Both are worth it. Flying Witch is very light, while March starts in some deep darkness. I'd watch them in that order.

I have to admit I can't stand it when anime/manga go into the whole "I really love big/little brother/sister" and find that a bit creepy! I've had to quit watching a few because of that. I'm sure it happens in real life but surely not as often as it occurs in anime.


Gods, yes! In Flying Witch the lead male lives with his sister and his (second, so fair game) cousin. I was bracing myself for the inevitable incest, but he's just a pretty chill guy.

Oh, right. That's normal...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.