First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply What are some things in Japanese culture that you prefer to your own?
29066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 2/3/18
I like how private Japanese celebrities are about their personal lives. Things like marriages, divorces and births are handled with a lot of privacy and dignity. Announced sometimes months after they actually happened and usually by the celebrity themselves. In America the public will know every messy detail as it gets leaked.
5311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
kindness, respect, school system... however they can keep the bullying, that happens enough as it is. I like how they teach the children cleaning and respect before they break it down to actually learning. I also like the infinite number and ideas of vending machines, and why can't there be better cartoons. Volton's remake, first few episodes, farts and vomits. cell phones are steady to make importance, some kids just can't seem to put them down and get "sick" because of it. oh so many... people should have more eastern in their life (no not the middle east east, but the Asian east, such as Japan). also why can't there be more temples/shrines... where I go it looks like a building or some old run down place and it tends to combine Shinto and Buddhism...
11316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
I dunno. Never been there to experience it. Somehow I think I won't think it too much better or worse than our own.. (I'm kinda "meh" about things)
Vahvi 
8571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 /❓/ ⚤ / Nearby
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
Those Sweet Efficiency Apartments.
19875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Chicago,IL
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
Uh the ladies of course.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
The able to live sustainably as a hikikomori. Hell yeah!

Memes aside, there's really not much I like about Japanese culture to be honest, at least not their mainstream culture. It's easy for us over here to forget, but anime in Japan is seen as weird, counter-culture, not really a defining aspect of their national identity. I think the one thing I really like is how much they respect their artists. Unlike in north america where companies will exploit and rip off creators at every oppurtunity, in Japan they're treated much more fairly. Whether they're writers, musicians, authors etc. they always seem to be paid adequately at the very least and they are always partial owners of their art. That's something we over here could really learn from.
mow123 
14421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18

Vahvi wrote:

Those Sweet Efficiency Apartments.

lol how is this real


if you want to see the whole twitter thread
https://twitter.com/Durf/status/930623360320471040
14720 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18

octorockandroll wrote:

The able to live sustainably as a hikikomori. Hell yeah!

Memes aside, there's really not much I like about Japanese culture to be honest, at least not their mainstream culture. It's easy for us over here to forget, but anime in Japan is seen as weird, counter-culture, not really a defining aspect of their national identity. I think the one thing I really like is how much they respect their artists. Unlike in north america where companies will exploit and rip off creators at every oppurtunity, in Japan they're treated much more fairly. Whether they're writers, musicians, authors etc. they always seem to be paid adequately at the very least and they are always partial owners of their art. That's something we over here could really learn from.




a 2015 survey revealing that the average animator’s annual salary is well under US$10,000.

In addition to the low wage, the survey found that an animator’s average workday lasts 11 hours, and 54.9 percent of the respondents reported having four or fewer days off a month, including weekends.


https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/05/29/studio-ghibli-criticised-for-paying-low-salary-to-animators/

apparently, animators are paid less than an equivalent to $10,000 usd anually. they could probably earn more flipping burgers instead of working tirelessly, half the day, with almost no break in between. some work is also off-shored to S Korea and probably China to lower costs of production.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18

namealreadytaken wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

The able to live sustainably as a hikikomori. Hell yeah!

Memes aside, there's really not much I like about Japanese culture to be honest, at least not their mainstream culture. It's easy for us over here to forget, but anime in Japan is seen as weird, counter-culture, not really a defining aspect of their national identity. I think the one thing I really like is how much they respect their artists. Unlike in north america where companies will exploit and rip off creators at every oppurtunity, in Japan they're treated much more fairly. Whether they're writers, musicians, authors etc. they always seem to be paid adequately at the very least and they are always partial owners of their art. That's something we over here could really learn from.




a 2015 survey revealing that the average animator’s annual salary is well under US$10,000.

In addition to the low wage, the survey found that an animator’s average workday lasts 11 hours, and 54.9 percent of the respondents reported having four or fewer days off a month, including weekends.


https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/05/29/studio-ghibli-criticised-for-paying-low-salary-to-animators/

apparently, animators are paid less than an equivalent to $10,000 usd anually. they could probably earn more flipping burgers instead of working tirelessly, half the day, with almost no break in between. some work is also off-shored to S Korea and probably China to lower costs of production.


As someone who's known people who have worked at CN and Nickelodeon, that's not the lowest par.
14720 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18

octorockandroll wrote:
As someone who's known people who have worked at CN and Nickelodeon, that's not the lowest par.


maybe. but given the amount of work expected with almost no time off, it makes you wonder, how the anime industry is even afloat.
the animators barely earn enough to pay for food, let alone rent / other expenses.
unless that article was completely inaccurate, of course.
236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
I got to visit japan and honestly i liked how nice and clean everything is! They really care about use too, like how the garbage is sorted and how much food they give you its like only use what you actually use type of thing! I love that. Its super dirty here on the roads and stuff i dont like it. id rather live there honestly
Vahvi 
8571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 /❓/ ⚤ / Nearby
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/1/18

mow123 wrote:


Vahvi wrote:

Those Sweet Efficiency Apartments.

lol how is this real


Yeah they're pretty neat. This one in particular is built between existing buildings but they do have larger units with more breathing room. The larger homes i've seen are thin like the one posted here but have a fairly spacious living/bedroom in the back.
29066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18

mow123 wrote:


Vahvi wrote:

Those Sweet Efficiency Apartments.

lol how is this real


if you want to see the whole twitter thread
https://twitter.com/Durf/status/930623360320471040


If there was an earthquake and the building narrowed just a couple of feet no one would have ever known you existed...
1535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Corpus Christi, T...
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
I'm fascinated by what I perceive as Japanese attitudes toward the dead. Particularly as those to be continuously kept in mind and tended to every year.

I live in South Texas, and I see a lot of similarities in Japanese attitudes toward their dead as in how Mexico treats the subject. The rituals are different and held at different times of the year (Obon and Dia de los Muertos, for example), but the underlying significance seems very similar. I think it's beautiful.

Along similar lines, I also appreciate the way shrines and the gods seem to be an intrinsic part of everyday life, steeped in long tradition and ritual. I'm sure this varies widely with individual Japanese and from generation to generation and from region to region, but it seems to be a very open and opt-in form of spirituality.

Disclaimer: I have no firsthand experience with these things; this is just what I glean from what I observe. No offense intended; I'd love to learn more about this sort of thing.
363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Playstation VR
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
I like how much more reserved Japanese people tend to be in public. The downside to that is the increased social isolation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.