First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Darling in the FranXX Discussion
21083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 1/13/18


27960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 1/13/18
First episode is like a VA All star cast trigger starting strong see if story can go the distance
65413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/18


I can't find an official source. It looks like it was something that was leaked months ago along with a lot of other information. Several anime sites (like MAL for example) seem to be going with it.
308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Southern Hemisphere
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18
I must add my opinion to the mech designs. At first I thought they were pretty silly, but they've grown on me. At least the main one looks a bit like a humanoid unicorn. I'm genuinely starting to love it, despite being incredibly unfamiliar with many many of the famous mech shows, these ones, FranXX, are pretty awesome. Unique. Easily recognisable. And new, which, while the setting still doesn't appear to be, it's something I've picked up a lack of recently. This is looking like an awesome start to 2018, there's loads of shows I'm looking forward to, compared to last season.

The animation is pretty. It has a very nice flow to it.

I will, however, withhold judgment on the charisma of the male MC for now. So far - Hiro, was it? - he's appeared to have been taking a rather backseat role in the story. In this episode, the show was being run by Zero Two, who, might I add, is pretty awesome. Hiro gave off the vibe that he was resigned to failure, which was pretty obvious, but because of this, with just what we have so far, it's impossible to tell what he'll be like as an MC. We need to wait and see if the writers give him room to grow, which they no doubt will, but at the moment everything is very much a blank slate with a few starting scribbles that merely manage to dictate the beginning energy.

I'm coming at this with no set expectations, I read the synopsis on MAL and wiped it off my radar without a second thought, only getting interesting when it's airing lol, so if I avoid the hype there's no way I can be let down. I'm not veteran enough to be familiar with certain studios, but I do know A-1 Pictures has been behind some of my least favourites, and some of my favourites. So yeah, we'll see.


39197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/14/18
Those tight suits tho. This is why I love mecha. The robots come in second place.
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18

-troublesomeone- wrote:

I must add my opinion to the mech designs. At first I thought they were pretty silly, but they've grown on me. At least the main one looks a bit like a humanoid unicorn. I'm genuinely starting to love it, despite being incredibly unfamiliar with many many of the famous mech shows, these ones, FranXX, are pretty awesome. Unique. Easily recognisable. And new, which, while the setting still doesn't appear to be, it's something I've picked up a lack of recently. This is looking like an awesome start to 2018, there's loads of shows I'm looking forward to, compared to last season.



Given that concept of mech is silly in itself, I think sillier the mech designs are, better.

107355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18
KIRABOSHI!



The male version.
11914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The outer atmoshe...
Offline
Posted 1/14/18
Oh man, all these number puns. icHI ROku, naNA 0 MItsu, 0 NI... I love it!

Also, I thought the klaxosaur looked awesome, and has an awesome name, too.
27375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18
Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that this show could easily become a "secret sequel" to Kill la Kill. The robot transformation animations really reminded me of the transformations from Kill La Kill and even the robot design looked like one of the three star uniforms. There was a huge amount of Red used in both the character designs and the environmental designs. Code:002's horns look like a bit like Rika's hair thing. The show has the multiple X's on the end of the title and the world seems to be post apocalyptic; it could be that the life fibers won in this particular world or are on the brink of winning. I know its more likely that these things are just little Easter eggs for trigger fans, but even so, it still has a certain feel about it that makes it seem like it could easily go that way.
11322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/14/18

Yamstarch wrote:

I wanted to not like this, but I kind of already knew I would.


Serious question: Why would you come into something not wanting to like it? No troll or anything I swear. Just having trouble understanding that statement.
45110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/14/18
Ended up watching the episode twice.
12057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 3/15/18

abeltensro wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that this show could easily become a "secret sequel" to Kill la Kill. The robot transformation animations really reminded me of the transformations from Kill La Kill and even the robot design looked like one of the three star uniforms. There was a huge amount of Red used in both the character designs and the environmental designs. Code:002's horns look like a bit like Rika's hair thing. The show has the multiple X's on the end of the title and the world seems to be post apocalyptic; it could be that the life fibers won in this particular world or are on the brink of winning. I know its more likely that these things are just little Easter eggs for trigger fans, but even so, it still has a certain feel about it that makes it seem like it could easily go that way.


It's more of an A-1 production than Trigger from what we know so far. Highly doubt it will have any actual relation to Kill La Kill and I think you're overanalyzing the coincidental similarities. It has the same mech designer, Koyama Shigeto, who did work on Star Driver though, if anyone's interested in the mech designs.
Dushan 
11843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 1/14/18

Lord_Wunder wrote:

Oh man, all these number puns. icHI ROku, naNA 0 MItsu, 0 NI... I love it!

Also, I thought the klaxosaur looked awesome, and has an awesome name, too.


What? How did you even come up with that?
27375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18

Space_Kitties wrote:


abeltensro wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that this show could easily become a "secret sequel" to Kill la Kill. The robot transformation animations really reminded me of the transformations from Kill La Kill and even the robot design looked like one of the three star uniforms. There was a huge amount of Red used in both the character designs and the environmental designs. Code:002's horns look like a bit like Rika's hair thing. The show has the multiple X's on the end of the title and the world seems to be post apocalyptic; it could be that the life fibers won in this particular world or are on the brink of winning. I know its more likely that these things are just little Easter eggs for trigger fans, but even so, it still has a certain feel about it that makes it seem like it could easily go that way.


It's more of an A-1 production than Trigger from what we know so far. Highly doubt it will have any actual relation to Kill La Kill and I think you're overanalyzing the coincidental "similarities". It has the same mech designer, Koyama Shigeto, who did work on Star Driver and I'm sure he doesn't care at all for matching up with Kill La Kill.


Oh trust me, I know I am over analyzing things; it was just an amusing thought is all. The guy who wrote the light novel for this series is the guy who wrote "to love-ru" and "black cat". Of course, its not going to become a secret Kill la Kill sequel all the sudden. That being said, there were a fair few call backs stylistically in how they animated this first episode in what I pointed out and a few other things (little stylistic flourishes like the way the mecha sparkled and transformed were very much akin to how things were animated in Kill la Kill and the over use of the color red was definitely a callback).

From what I've read, I think the majority of the production team were not a part of Kill la Kill at all; there are more people on here who worked on Gurren Lagann and Toradora then on Kill la Kill. And Trigger often puts call backs to their series in their newer anime. Kill la Kill had some definite call backs to Gurren Lagann, Little Witch had Kill la Kill references and GL references and even Kiznaiver and Space Patrol Luluco had references to earlier works.

While I know its not going to happen, I could easily see the folks over at trigger taking a show and twisting it in a strange way like that. And there were talks of sequels for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill despite both series having definitive endings. Its possible that if there ever are sequels to either show, it will start in an anime that seems entirely unrelated.
12057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18

abeltensro wrote:

Oh trust me, I know I am over analyzing things; it was just an amusing thought is all. The guy who wrote the light novel for this series is the guy who wrote "to love-ru" and "black cat". Of course, its not going to become a secret Kill la Kill sequel all the sudden. That being said, there were a fair few call backs stylistically in how they animated this first episode in what I pointed out and a few other things (little stylistic flourishes like the way the mecha sparkled and transformed were very much akin to how things were animated in Kill la Kill and the over use of the color red was definitely a callback).

From what I've read, I think the majority of the production team were not a part of Kill la Kill at all; there are more people on here who worked on Gurren Lagann and Toradora then on Kill la Kill. And Trigger often puts call backs to their series in their newer anime. Kill la Kill had some definite call backs to Gurren Lagann, Little Witch had Kill la Kill references and GL references and even Kiznaiver and Space Patrol Luluco had references to earlier works.

While I know its not going to happen, I could easily see the folks over at trigger taking a show and twisting it in a strange way like that. And there were talks of sequels for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill despite both series having definitive endings. Its possible that if there ever are sequels to either show, it will start in an anime that seems entirely unrelated.


>>The guy who wrote the light novel for this series is the guy who wrote "to love-ru" and "black cat".
He's just doing a manga adaptation of the show, is all. Each week when the episode airs, he's going to adapt it. It's an original show.

>>And there were talks of sequels for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill despite both series having definitive endings
That was a series called Promare that airs in 2019, to be specific. It's not an actual sequel but it's definitely going to be similar to them. The director doing that show is Hiroyuki Imaishi, who worked on both KLK and Gurren. I'm pretty excited for it myself.

For better or worse, I highly doubt either of those shows will get direct sequels or even in-universe spinoffs.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.