First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Monster Hunter World Discussion
16389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/18 , edited 2/12/18

twintiger12 wrote:

Fighting Diablos is fun. Don't knowif because the controller is bigger and easy to hold than the handheld, I can easily execute guard point. Rathalos may be the the easiest monster to fight, just drop him with flash and hit.


Rathalos flying all the time does cause some problems and those problems are generally handled with flash bombs, sure. He's not the easiest, though. No matter how you look at it, Great Drag-ass is easiest.

I just didn't find Diablos's fight all that interesting, but I was spending most of it turtling until she stopped trying to charge me before digging into the ground and changing areas.

I lose more sharpness to my shield than I do actually hitting the monsters.
9662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/11/18 , edited 2/12/18
Tonight I hooked up with a friend and we took on the double Kirin event quest and learned something: if you complete the double Kirin event quest you can select Kirin in the monster list for SOSes. I just got all the mats I needed except for paolumu parts by doing one SOS on the main Kirin quest.

I don't think that's very intentional, but I'll take it.
16389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/18 , edited 2/12/18
There's a Low Rank Kirin slaying quest which apparently comes from capturing or something. Watched a guy do it with three of his friends, and they got destroyed by his powered up form. They did it again, and Kirin didn't go into his powered up form (because one of them happened to be using a dragonbone weapon), so they finished Kirin. Best armor set.
Guy has beat the final boss at this point, and neither he nor any of his friends really understand how or why Elderseal works or what it does.

Kirin is 5 star, the event is 5 star, so everything appears to be Working As Intended.
9662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/12/18 , edited 2/12/18
Yeah, just feels weird that I'm able to join someone's quest that's further along in the game than I am curently.
79578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/18 , edited 2/13/18

gornotck wrote:

There's a Low Rank Kirin slaying quest which apparently comes from capturing or something. Watched a guy do it with three of his friends, and they got destroyed by his powered up form. They did it again, and Kirin didn't go into his powered up form (because one of them happened to be using a dragonbone weapon), so they finished Kirin. Best armor set.


Yeah, it comes after a bunch of optional capture quests from an NPC (one of the researchers). The chain starts with Kulu Yaku (I think) and ends with Odoragon. After capturing the last one, you get the low rank Kirin quest which gives you the Thunder Mantle after completion.
runec 
40110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/13/18 , edited 2/13/18
My copy just arrived today. Already put it away. Man, I heard a lot of good buzz about the game but the controls are awful and everything seems needlessly obtuse. It's fine if you want to stick to a control scheme from 1997 but if you must then at least include button mapping or alternative control schemes in the options like every other modern game. Sure, you can remap at a system level but you shouldn't have to.

Pretty disappointed at the moment. Was looking forward to the game. Never played any of the series before. I didn't know it was famous / infamous for its clunky control schemes and general floatiness. I just finished up playing Nioh so it was a hell of a shock to go from Nioh's fluid combat and tight controls to PS1 era clunk.

Also man does it make your PS4 fan scream even just on the main menu.
9662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/13/18 , edited 2/14/18
Never play the PS2 original or the handheld ones if you hate hte controls. Believe it or not, the controls in this are better than ever. I won't argue the obtuse point, it's still rather unclear even for people who've played the seires like me.

I will say it's not floaty??? It's the opposite, super heavy and deliberate.
16389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/13/18 , edited 2/14/18
Nioh "fluid combat and tight controls". It is to laugh.
735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Tower of Barbs
Offline
Posted 2/14/18 , edited 2/15/18
Haven't had any issues learning the controls. This has been the only game I've been playing since it's release and I'm still loving it!

Also, is anyone else trying to tackle arena quests? It's lonely trying to do them alone... ;_;
16389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/16/18 , edited 2/16/18
I don't think it can be stated enough that it's important to read every single thing in the game, as well as pay attention to what you're being shown.
When the Handler isn't rifling through your supply box, she's in the camp canteen at the 'fifth stump' that has no decorations. This stump apparently stumps a lot of players.
runec 
40110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/17/18 , edited 2/17/18

gornotck wrote:
Nioh "fluid combat and tight controls". It is to laugh.


It does have fluid combat and tight controls. It kind of has to given how razor thin the margin of survival is. Now, half the game is cheap as shit and designed specifically to piss you off whenever possible. But the controls are solid and responsive. -.-



gornotck wrote:
When the Handler isn't rifling through your supply box, she's in the camp canteen at the 'fifth stump' that has no decorations. This stump apparently stumps a lot of players.


Given that putting a bullet in her head isn't an option I would also recommend using Japanese voices. Her English voice makes Navi seem soothing and calm. She's beyond irritating in English and but only somewhat irritating in Japanese.

16389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/17/18 , edited 2/17/18

runec wrote:


gornotck wrote:
Nioh "fluid combat and tight controls". It is to laugh.


It does have fluid combat and tight controls. It kind of has to given how razor thin the margin of survival is. Now, half the game is cheap as shit and designed specifically to piss you off whenever possible. But the controls are solid and responsive. -.-



gornotck wrote:
When the Handler isn't rifling through your supply box, she's in the camp canteen at the 'fifth stump' that has no decorations. This stump apparently stumps a lot of players.


Given that putting a bullet in her head isn't an option I would also recommend using Japanese voices. Her English voice makes Navi seem soothing and calm. She's beyond irritating in English and but only somewhat irritating in Japanese.



I could never really get used to Nioh's weapons. Probably why I kept defaulting to sickle and chain. Everything else felt a bit cumbersome.

As to Handler, I've never had a problem with her voice mostly, but she's pretty much best seen and not heard anyway. She's definitely no Guildmarm or Moga Sweetheart. Her best voice is probably Monster Hunter language, though.
runec 
40110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/17/18 , edited 2/17/18

gornotck wrote:
I could never really get used to Nioh's weapons. Probably why I kept defaulting to sickle and chain. Everything else felt a bit cumbersome.

As to Handler, I've never had a problem with her voice mostly, but she's pretty much best seen and not heard anyway. She's definitely no Guildmarm or Moga Sweetheart. Her best voice is probably Monster Hunter language, though.


Sickle and chain is a nice versatile weapon, yeah. To the game's credit, all the weapons have pretty different feels to them.

She's...incessant to say the least. It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't feel the need to scream some variation of HEY, LISTEN every 5 seconds if you make the mistake of wandering 10 feet off the path to the next question objective. Also, when your palico hugs her ( dude, you met her for all of 3 seconds, what the hell? ) instead of you it is a cruel betrayal on a spiritual level that I cannot forgive her or the game for.

Still, need the Japanese voices so at least they match the lips. It has some pretty bad 80s Godzilla movie dubbing going on in English.
16389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/17/18 , edited 2/17/18

runec wrote:


Sickle and chain is a nice versatile weapon, yeah. To the game's credit, all the weapons have pretty different feels to them.

She's...incessant to say the least. It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't feel the need to scream some variation of HEY, LISTEN every 5 seconds if you make the mistake of wandering 10 feet off the path to the next question objective. Also, when your palico hugs her ( dude, you met her for all of 3 seconds, what the hell? ) instead of you it is a cruel betrayal on a spiritual level that I cannot forgive her or the game for.

Still, need the Japanese voices so at least they match the lips. It has some pretty bad 80s Godzilla movie dubbing going on in English.


True. A lot of people agree about the Handler, her voice, her face, and the Palico "betraying" you with your assigned partner, but I did find an excuse that almost makes sense, at least for the palico hug:

RPrime422
It was probably a much bigger surprise that the handler was alive than it was that your hunter was alive.


I like the Handler, but she's probably the weakest part of the game. I use her (as a quest board) because she's next to the Canteen, but mostly she doesn't affect me much. She's just... you know, a coworker. That eventually you can change the clothes of (and should have had the option of doing all along, like you can for your Palico).
runec 
40110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/17/18 , edited 2/17/18

gornotck wrote:
True. A lot of people agree about the Handler, her voice, her face, and the Palico "betraying" you with your assigned partner, but I did find an excuse that almost makes sense, at least for the palico hug:


Eh, the extent of their interaction was still pretty much just a single terrible cat pun ( that's another thing, Japanese voices save you from the awful cat puns ). There's no way he/she was looking all lost and desperate around the canteen for the Handler as opposed to his/her partner.

Betrayal~

Does her change of clothing include a gag by any chance? <cough>
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.