First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply American students aren't learning the truth about slavery
9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/2/18 , edited 2/2/18
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/02/what-kids-are-really-learning-about-slavery/552098/

I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was this bad. This is so disheartening.
Humms 
12701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 2/2/18
I'm sure the same goes for immigration.

The truth about slavery is that it never ended. Just because we don't see it in our lives, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just because we say all races are treated equally, that doesn't mean everyone is treated equally

Like when people get chained up to be sex slaves. I guess we don't hear about that I guess that never happened, it never ever happened, but let's talk about shining the white man's shoes mastah

Why are people getting upset about it, what's done is done, why is it such a big HISTORY lesson? White men outsmarted another human; wow, great lesson. It's like they are saying we needed slavery to happen to prove America's worth on forming the fundamental coexistence between every race. Honestly, that's a joke. We were the scum of the earth for doing it, now move on from it. Its like they want people to still keep hate alive and well by getting people all worked up about the past. Slavery isn't an important lesson, it's a god dam failure , there's no lesson to be learned, there's nothing positive to come out of it, it's disgusting, but yet we celebrate and embrace the day people were set free as it was written to be so -_- oh I'm soo proud we came to an agreement.

It's slave labor, plain and simple. If we could get away with it now we would still do It, and we are still doing it, so there's a history lesson for everyone.

Yes, 2018 still has slavery. You just need to monitor every single person on this earth to actually understand that, and if you think that slavery doesnt exist today.... My favorite thing to say, prove me wrong.
4207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 2/2/18
yeah I believe it's like one or two days in class that slavery is taught and even then it's more miss than hit. not to mention history isn't being taught right, slavery wasn't an issue until the second term Lincoln was going into, he owned slaves and didn't care, thus he flip flopped because he was losing in the mid terms. he even signed a crucial act that kept the Natives down. of which were slaves as well, that a lot seem to have forgotten. it was the double taxing of cotton and other import/exports which started the war, the "carpetbaggers" were making it too hard for folks to make the money they needed. and most slave owners were democrats. sadly natives wouldn't finally be free until the 1960s when AIM came about causing one man to walk into Washington DC with a peace pipe to stop the suffering of the natives. so, yes the natives had it rough too, we had to drink and eat at the same section for "colored" people.

slavery will always be an issue, it's been around before China was a fully developed country under one Emperor and it's going to be long here after the fall of another country. since slavery is another word for human trafficking. yes natives sold their own kind as did blacks, just tossing that out for sad fun of more useless knowledge I have on the subject. and goodness no I learned most of this outside of school, not inside.
Posted 2/2/18

Humms wrote:

I'm sure the same goes for immigration.

The truth about slavery is that it never ended. Just because we don't see it in our lives, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just because we say all races are treated equally, that doesn't mean everyone is treated equally

Like when people get chained up to be sex slaves. I guess we don't hear about that I guess that never happened, it never ever happened, but let's talk about shining the white man's shoes mastah

Why are people getting upset about it, what's done is done, why is it such a big HISTORY lesson? White men outsmarted another human; wow, great lesson. It's like they are saying we needed slavery to happen to prove America's worth on forming the fundamental coexistence between every race. Honestly, that's a joke. We were the scum of the earth for doing it, now move on from it. Its like they want people to still keep hate alive and well by getting people all worked up about the past. Slavery isn't an important lesson, it's a god dam failure , there's no lesson to be learned, there's nothing positive to come out of it, it's disgusting, but yet we celebrate and embrace the day people were set free as it was written to be so -_- oh I'm soo proud we came to an agreement.

It's slave labor, plain and simple. If we could get away with it now we would still do It, and we are still doing it, so there's a history lesson for everyone.

Yes, 2018 still has slavery. You just need to monitor every single person on this earth to actually understand that, and if you think that slavery doesnt exist today.... My favorite thing to say, prove me wrong.


We should all submit under the rule of our future AI overlords thereby avoid the repugnant conclusion (lol).
1553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/18
Parents and students themselves can step up to the plate.
runec 
38946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/18 , edited 2/2/18

A high school in the Los Angeles-area reenacted a slave ship—with students’ lying on the dark classroom floor, wrists taped, as staff play the role of slave ship captains.


What the actual fark?



Among 12th-graders, only 8 percent could identify slavery as the cause of the Civil War.


?!


9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

runec wrote:


Among 12th-graders, only 8 percent could identify slavery as the cause of the Civil War.


?!




And this is why I always laugh at elitist Northerners who think Civil War denialism is exclusively a Southern problem.
runec 
38946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

geauxtigers1989 wrote:
And this is why I always laugh at elitist Northerners who think Civil War denialism is exclusively a Southern problem.


I'm trying to figure out how we were taught more about American history in Canadian schools than apparently gets taught in American schools.
9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

runec wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how we were taught more about American history in Canadian schools than apparently gets taught in American schools.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy

or for the cliff notes version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOkFXPblLpU
runec 
38946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/18


Ah right, that bullshit.

But even with that 8% is clearly showing a critical failure beyond any wannabe romanticizing by southern states.
wyrvan 
67057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

runec wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:
And this is why I always laugh at elitist Northerners who think Civil War denialism is exclusively a Southern problem.


I'm trying to figure out how we were taught more about American history in Canadian schools than apparently gets taught in American schools.


That's because the American public education system was converted from an educational system to a union payment transfer system decades ago. They only keep the kids around to maintain appearances and fend off any changes by yelling "You'll hurt the students!". If any education does happen it's usually an accident or the a really good teacher going the extra mile.
9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

runec wrote:

Ah right, that bullshit.

But even with that 8% is clearly showing a critical failure beyond any wannabe romanticizing by southern states.


My personal take: Attitudes about the war today are determined much more by politics rather than geography. I've noticed conservatives tend to be much more sympathetic to/supportive of the Confederacy than liberals, no matter what part of the country they're from. And the GOP has held a firm grip on state-level politics for the last decade or so, which means they have a lot of control over school board editing and what ultimately gets put in the textbooks.

A lot of textbook publishers will also omit the uglier parts of slavery on their own because they don't want to offend the Southern states and hurt their sales.
11302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

geauxtigers1989 wrote:


runec wrote:


Among 12th-graders, only 8 percent could identify slavery as the cause of the Civil War.


?!




And this is why I always laugh at elitist Northerners who think Civil War denialism is exclusively a Southern problem.


But it wasn't.

It was more complex than that. Slavery had always been an issue but if I remember from history class, it was an issue since the formation of the nation. it was primarily tensions between the north and south on many issues that caused the secession of a handful of states. The north fought to retain the union (hence all those speeches from Lincoln about the unity of the nation and the whole "indivisible" thingie)...

Slavery was an issue lincoln wanted to bring into the war, but there was a famous bit where he was warned about timing when he gave the emancipation proclamation, and to make it a proclamation in a moment of victory, rather than make it seem like a cowardly encouragement for slaves to defect to the north and strengthen their armies.

He also had to fight kinda hard to get the slavery ruling that he wanted, and it was the big "republican" victory (republicans are NOT the same repubs now, as during the 70's/80's there was the great swapping of parties between the dems and the reps and the reps started to tap into the "good christian people" that made up the moral majority of the time...

I will say I thought it was the 14th amendment not the 13th, but they were kinda hand in hand apparently. 14th was that regardless of who you are, being born in the US made you a citizen.

30017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Еще раз 244 килом...
Offline
Posted 2/2/18
The whole lack of Slavery knowledge just is one part of the problem that's been around for awhile:

https://collegestats.org/2012/07/25-american-history-facts-most-students-dont-know/

But you can bet they can tell you who's trending on Twitter or whoever was the last winner on American Idol or whatever the celebrity show of the week is there now.

9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/2/18

serifsansserif wrote:


But it wasn't.

It was more complex than that. Slavery had always been an issue but if I remember from history class, it was an issue since the formation of the nation. it was primarily tensions between the north and south on many issues that caused the secession of a handful of states. The north fought to retain the union (hence all those speeches from Lincoln about the unity of the nation and the whole "indivisible" thingie)...



If you haven't already, I recommend reading the Declarations of Causes and the Cornerstone Speech.

Here's a bit from the latter...


The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution -- African slavery as it exists amongst us -- the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.


and


Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.