First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply American students aren't learning the truth about slavery
199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
108 / O
Offline
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18

MonoDreams wrote:


Cardamom_Ginger wrote:

Really, guys? This is a topic of slavery being neglected in school, yet, hypocritically, discussing more than the Atlantic slave trade can "only" be attributed to prejudice? The hell? The Atlantic slave trade isn't the only slavery history that is sorely neglected. We have everything from the Barbary slave trade, to the 2007 Chinese slave scandal, to Libya's slave trade. They're all more than due for open discussion. Either you support education on slavery, or you only want a single facet to monopolize. It's pretty twisted for only one slave trade to be "okay" to talk about.


This. ^^^^ And while on the topic of slavery, lets not forget about pretty much all empires that existed, which all had slaves of some sort, but I guess those aren't important to some people. It's not about skin color people, slavery existed in much worse conditions all over the world.


Its a way of thread derailment. The topic is about american students and slavery, so obviously the point of the discussion is focusing on how the topic of slavery in regards to American history is not properly taught. Yes obviously slavery existed all over the world but slavery all over the world is not relevant to american history is it? When talking about other historical topics like Eygptian history, Mayan history history or any other history (british, African, Canadian) people will and should bring up slavery if they performed it as a footnote because it was not as important. But when talking American history as an American student or just even as a modern student, slavery is often taught as its own topic because it was 1) Essential to Americas development. 2) Not that long ago (relatively) 3) The effects are still being felt.

So to mention that "Other people did it too" is a thread derailment
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18
reading the latest comments and it appears one or two people think if slavery goes on elsewhere throughout history it makes it less of a big deal if it occurs now or in relatively recent history in the states, ok ha ha*facepalms*
1852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18

zefur wrote:

Its a way of thread derailment. The topic is about american students and slavery, so obviously the point of the discussion is focusing on how the topic of slavery in regards to American history is not properly taught. Yes obviously slavery existed all over the world but slavery all over the world is not relevant to american history is it? When talking about other historical topics like Eygptian history, Mayan history history or any other history (british, African, Canadian) people will and should bring up slavery if they performed it as a footnote because it was not as important. But when talking American history as an American student or just even as a modern student, slavery is often taught as its own topic because it was 1) Essential to Americas development. 2) Not that long ago (relatively) 3) The effects are still being felt.

So to mention that "Other people did it too" is a thread derailment


Admittedly, you have a few good points. What you say highlights an issue with this thread. The thread title and OP doesn't do much of anything to clarify whether or not this thread is only supposed to be about the Atlantic slave trade or, as I had initially assumed, that the link was an example of how bad the US is with the topic of slavery, in general. Meeting the mention of the Arab slave trade with accusations of islamophobia and the like is an unreasonable reaction, which, unfortunately, is what occurred on page two.
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/3/18

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:


zefur wrote:

Its a way of thread derailment. The topic is about american students and slavery, so obviously the point of the discussion is focusing on how the topic of slavery in regards to American history is not properly taught. Yes obviously slavery existed all over the world but slavery all over the world is not relevant to american history is it? When talking about other historical topics like Eygptian history, Mayan history history or any other history (british, African, Canadian) people will and should bring up slavery if they performed it as a footnote because it was not as important. But when talking American history as an American student or just even as a modern student, slavery is often taught as its own topic because it was 1) Essential to Americas development. 2) Not that long ago (relatively) 3) The effects are still being felt.

So to mention that "Other people did it too" is a thread derailment


Admittedly, you have a few good points. What you say highlights an issue with this thread. The thread title and OP doesn't do much of anything to clarify whether or not this thread is only supposed to be about the Atlantic slave trade or, as I had initially assumed, that the link was an example of how bad the US is with the topic of slavery, in general. Meeting the mention of the Arab slave trade with accusations of islamophobia and the like is an unreasonable reaction, which, unfortunately, is what occurred on page two.


Islamophobia is a complex issue that goes hand-in-hand with racism in the US so its problematic to say it isn't relevant to the topic.
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:

Parents and students themselves can step up to the plate.


That's right.
1852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18

Cherynn wrote:


Islamophobia is a complex issue that goes hand-in-hand with racism in the US so its problematic to say it isn't relevant to the topic.


You misunderstand. I was referring to knee-jerking at the mere mentioning of the Arab slave trade. I said nothing about whether or not Islamophobia is relevant.
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:


Cherynn wrote:


Islamophobia is a complex issue that goes hand-in-hand with racism in the US so its problematic to say it isn't relevant to the topic.


You misunderstand. I was referring to knee-jerking at the mere mentioning of the Arab slave trade. I said nothing about whether or not Islamophobia is relevant.


Thank you then for clearing that up.
25 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18
this article is just an attempt to further push leftist propaganda. they don't care about the truth they just want the kids to believe that america is evil because they had slavery. they don't care about the rest of the world they only focus on the triangular trade, specifically on the role of the US in it. never will they mention that it was only in European countries that slavery was being abolished. In africa and the middle east slavery was still practiced until the 1960s.

Look how they want to simplify the reason for the war to slavery. It wasn't a northern crusade to emancipate the negroes. The war started because the southern states didn't want to remain in the union. The reason the democrats wanted to secede was of course issue related to slavery, but trying to summarize the reason for the war as slavery is misleading.

And if you want to blame somebody for slavery on the american continent then blame Portugal they loved slavery so much that their slaves had slaves. but they still abolished slavery in 1836 (and 1761 on the mainland) long before the arabs ever did.
runec 
40518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18

Folkmjolk wrote:
this article is just an attempt to further push leftist propaganda.


Being aware of history is now "leftist propaganda" is it? -.-



Folkmjolk wrote:
Look how they want to simplify the reason for the war to slavery.


There is no "they" here. No one is saying they want to simplify the history of the civil war. The article clearly states the exact opposite in fact. Calling for an unvarnished and nuanced teaching of what is a complex topic of American history.




Folkmjolk wrote:
And if you want to blame somebody for slavery on the american continent then blame Portugal Americans who bought and owned slaves.


Fixed that for you.
25 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18
are you aware how many slaves the Portuguese and the Spanish brought over to the new world compared to the Americans. And don't forget who those (((American slave traders))) were.
1080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18
Slavery was a really bad thing in the past. Hope it never happens again.
1619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada, Toronto
Offline
Posted 2/12/18 , edited 2/12/18
I should reveal the connection between slavery to Christianity, liberalism, and free market. The free market of the Atlantic slave trade had created the brutal form of slavery in Africa. Before the Atlantic slave trade, the African form of slavery were not as cruel or widespread; for examples, some Africans were only enslaved to pay off their debts and they were freed after their work off their debts. In the Atlantic slave trade, the Europeans trade weapons for slaves so the slave raiders could use the weapons for more effective slave raiding. The increased weaponry of the slave raiders pressure many African tribes to gather more weapons for self-defense. Since the European traders provide the most convenient source of weapons, many Africans tribes raid slaves so they can seel the slaves for weapons. This "enslave or be enslaved" has created distrust between the tribes and the European colonizers would later use this mistrust to play on the hatred between the African tribes.

When enslaved, the white slave drivers distorted the biblical teachings and created a Christianity God in their own image. They create a God that prioritize absolute authority of the slave drivers over all morality and law. They claim that their God will severely punish slaves for disobeying slave drivers and will reward obedient slaves with a paradise in heaven. The pope of Rome did support the slavery of Africans, but claim that the slaves should be freed when they convert to Christianity. However, the white slave drivers in America successfully oppose this order of the pope especially when their "twisted" biblical teaching of the slave drivers contradict this order.

Historically, Liberals made a distinction between positive freedom and negative freedom. Positive freedom is the freedom to do things that are not bad and negative freedom is the freedom to do bad things. Liberals now promote positive freedom, but their historic counterparts support negative freedom as addition. The negative fredom include: freedom to oppress people, freedomt to kill people, freedom to rape young girls, freedom to enslave people, freedom to establish dictatorship, freedom to free ride on others, freedom to mock your own religion, and freedom to steal the human rights of other people. The historic liberals once support negative freedom to enslave black people and restrict human right to white people only.
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / SOCAL for now
Offline
Posted 2/12/18 , edited 2/12/18

Savagely69 wrote:

Slavery was a really bad thing in the past. Hope it never happens again.


Who said that it ever stopped. Modern day slavery doesn't care about race. They will ether kidnap or trick you into working for them (underground organizations).
21321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 2/12/18 , edited 2/12/18


"Workers"....
23340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/12/18 , edited 2/13/18

Humms wrote:

I'm sure the same goes for immigration.

The truth about slavery is that it never ended. Just because we don't see it in our lives, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just because we say all races are treated equally, that doesn't mean everyone is treated equally

Like when people get chained up to be sex slaves. I guess we don't hear about that I guess that never happened, it never ever happened, but let's talk about shining the white man's shoes mastah

Why are people getting upset about it, what's done is done, why is it such a big HISTORY lesson? White men outsmarted another human; wow, great lesson. It's like they are saying we needed slavery to happen to prove America's worth on forming the fundamental coexistence between every race. Honestly, that's a joke. We were the scum of the earth for doing it, now move on from it. Its like they want people to still keep hate alive and well by getting people all worked up about the past. Slavery isn't an important lesson, it's a god dam failure , there's no lesson to be learned, there's nothing positive to come out of it, it's disgusting, but yet we celebrate and embrace the day people were set free as it was written to be so -_- oh I'm soo proud we came to an agreement.

It's slave labor, plain and simple. If we could get away with it now we would still do It, and we are still doing it, so there's a history lesson for everyone.

Yes, 2018 still has slavery. You just need to monitor every single person on this earth to actually understand that, and if you think that slavery doesnt exist today.... My favorite thing to say, prove me wrong.


#1) Everyone enslaved everyone in those times. It was Europeans that first banned slavery and got the ball rolling on making it illegal world wide.
#2) The arab slave trade is so easily forgotten and how cruel it was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade
#3) The slave trade is being revived: http://fortune.com/2017/11/29/libya-slave-trade/
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.