First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply What was more popular One Piece or Game of Thrones?
183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18
When it comes to merchandising, One Piece definitely wins. In terms of eyes on the material though, its GoT. A prime example would be if you were to take two cosplayers, one dressed as Jon Snow and the other as Luffy, then walk them down a busy high street in a major city you'd have people snapping photos of Jon Snow but wondering who the twerp in the straw hat was supposed to be next to him.
9403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / California
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:


SirBacon24 wrote:

Idk maybe I just don't understand how popular GoT is, but One Piece is the third best selling comic in history next to Batman and Superman I believe. I think it's a lot closer than you guys are making it out to be.


if you take into account that there are 87 volumes...430 million sold/87 volumes = 4.9 million sales per volume

60 Million sales for Song of Ice and Fire books for 5 books = 12 million per book


Well obviously since there are less of them, people are more likely to buy all of them, so if you look at it proportionally then A Song of Ice and Fire wins, but when it comes to popularity I think its more the total that matters than the ratio. Those stats kind of support what I was saying.
4222 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18

SirBacon24 wrote:


HOOfan_1 wrote:


SirBacon24 wrote:

Idk maybe I just don't understand how popular GoT is, but One Piece is the third best selling comic in history next to Batman and Superman I believe. I think it's a lot closer than you guys are making it out to be.


if you take into account that there are 87 volumes...430 million sold/87 volumes = 4.9 million sales per volume

60 Million sales for Song of Ice and Fire books for 5 books = 12 million per book


Well obviously since there are less of them, people are more likely to buy all of them, so if you look at it proportionally then A Song of Ice and Fire wins, but when it comes to popularity I think its more the total that matters than the ratio. Those stats kind of support what I was saying.


Common Sense supports the fact that Game of Thrones is much more popular worldwide than One Piece

There are references to Game of Thrones in other popular media worldwide. I doubt you will find many references to One Piece outside of other Japanese media. Pokemon is more popular worldwide than One Piece...compare Pokemon to Game of Thrones and you may just have a point.
18750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/4/18

oneouts123 wrote:

What was more popular One Piece or Game of Thrones? Which had a bigger world wide fan base, was it one of the world's most popular and longest running anime or HBO's massive hit show?


More people know about Game of Thrones than an anime that has a cult following.

Though in Japan and Asia, I'm sure OP probably has the bigger following.
36871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/5/18
America's got Talent.
9403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / California
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/5/18


Idk I'd take solid stats over someone's idea of common sense any day.

But I'm not even saying that One Piece is the more popular series worldwide. I'm just saying that it's a lot closer than many people here seem to think.
769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/5/18
Probably One Piece--for the sheer fact that it has a wider target audience. Game of Thrones isn't exactly kid friendly, but many people have been reading / watching One Piece since childhood and thus it has gained a lot of viewership.

For example: The Game of Thrones season finale 7 received a total of 16.5 million views (which is an impressive number, tbh), however One Piece in 2011 sold 40 million copies of the manga--not including viewership of the anime in Japan or outside of it. I heard someone once say that one in three people in Japan watch One Piece.

Simply put, the anime has a larger age range. Heck, even for adults who like the concept of Game of Thrones, it can be hard to watch at some points for those who are squeamish.

That being said, comparing the two is sort of like comparing apples and oranges for the sheer fact that they DO have different target audiences and because one is more internationally known than the other. Game of Thrones does show in other countries, but not as many.
109569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 2/4/18 , edited 2/5/18

Sketcy wrote:

For example: The Game of Thrones season finale 7 received a total of 16.5 million views (which is an impressive number, tbh), however One Piece in 2011 sold 40 million copies of the manga--not including viewership of the anime in Japan or outside of it. I heard someone once say that one in three people in Japan watch One Piece.

Unless that 40 million was for one issue, the comparison is misleading.

You are also comparing a print publication to a TV series. Perhaps you should compare print to print, as HOOfan_1 did earlier in this topic:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1013177/what-was-more-popular-one-piece-or-game-of-thrones?fpid=57272351

1050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 3/6/18 , edited 3/6/18
Game of Thrones
505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 3/6/18 , edited 3/7/18
It's only my opinion, but One Piece is really not in the race at all. I can't stand the ugly art style. So it's Game Of Thrones, the only probelm I've seen with it is that the are too much un needed nudity and sex that weren't at all in the books.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.