First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Space X - Launch and landing of falcon heavy boosters/core
23712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18
Space X has just had a successful launch and a 2/3 successful landing of it's Falcon Heavy rocket using it's reusable components. Currently they are saying they can lift twice as much weight into space for 1/3 the cost of the Russians and that is going DOWN! Especially thanks to reusable parts.

This is a very new development that SpaceX has pioneered over the last few years. To give you some idea of how groundbreaking this is, each of those boosters is as tall as the statue of frikkin' liberty and costs about 60 million.

The FUEL only costs about 400 Thousand for the pair, so you are looking at a cost savings of potentially over 100 million dollars by landing the boosters instead of treating them as expendable.

Until recently, ULA had the corner on the market if the US government wanted to launch a satellite and they were charging nearly a half a billion dollars a flight. The cost savings that SpaceX could realize for the taxpayers is bigly.


Launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88uYQ9VgsM0

Booster Landings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I8jaMsHYk

Core: The center core was only able to relight one of the three engines necessary to land, and so it hit the water at 300 miles per hour about 300 feet from the drone ship. As a result, two engines on the drone ship were taken out when it crashed, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in a press call after the rocket launch. “[It] was enough to take out two thrusters and shower the deck with shrapnel,” he said.


16833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18
It is good, of course, but I kind of wish they'd kick up the pace.
23712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18

gornotck wrote:

It is good, of course, but I kind of wish they'd kick up the pace.


I know right. It's only rocket science. I've already landed on other planets in Kerbal Space Program! These people are lazy.
24086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18
Sadly the car is going to miss Mars and just keep going
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42969020
23712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18

uncletim wrote:

Sadly the car is going to miss Mars and just keep going
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42969020


I really don't see this as a bad thing. If it hit Mars it would hit it and be Crushed. Now we have a random car and mannequin floating around in space for god only knows how long. Aliens will be wondering WTF this is and why we sent this into space every time their sensors pick it up.
24086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18

Rujikin wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Sadly the car is going to miss Mars and just keep going
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42969020


I really don't see this as a bad thing. If it hit Mars it would hit it and be Crushed. Now we have a random car and mannequin floating around in space for god only knows how long. Aliens will be wondering WTF this is and why we sent this into space every time their sensors pick it up.


When I first saw the car in space I honestly got a flash back to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=69&v=DWMPe3wF9jQ
23712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18

uncletim wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Sadly the car is going to miss Mars and just keep going
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42969020


I really don't see this as a bad thing. If it hit Mars it would hit it and be Crushed. Now we have a random car and mannequin floating around in space for god only knows how long. Aliens will be wondering WTF this is and why we sent this into space every time their sensors pick it up.


When I first saw the car in space I honestly got a flash back to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=69&v=DWMPe3wF9jQ


I wonder if they were thinking that too.
Dragon
69453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18
Removed the trolling "suicide watch" part of your description. It was unnecessary and inflammatory. Please try to avoid such in the future.
23712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18

MakotoKamui wrote:

Removed the trolling "suicide watch" part of your description. It was unnecessary and inflammatory. Please try to avoid such in the future.


I wrote "Communists on suicide watch" to poke fun at the Russians and communists because the Free Market is now going into space while current communists can't even do that. How is it inflammatory to make fun of genocidal maniacs who kill more than every world war combined? Supporting anything communistic should be inflammatory.



Fuck communism.
mxdan 
12219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/8/18
Watched the launch with my uber driver on my ride back home from school yesterday. The fact that they wrote algorithms that can successfully update weather and propulsion anomalies on the fly (hah) to land back onto a relatively small landing pad simultaneously blows my mind. What badasses.
qwueri 
24852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18
Was pretty cool to watch those boosters touch back down on those pads. Here's to hoping spaceflight doesn't become the "flying cars" of our generation.
1641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada, Toronto
Offline
Posted 2/7/18 , edited 2/7/18

Rujikin wrote:

I wrote "Communists on suicide watch" to poke fun at the Russians and communists because the Free Market is now going into space while current communists can't even do that. How is it inflammatory to make fun of genocidal maniacs who kill more than every world war combined? Supporting anything communistic should be inflammatory.



Fuck communism.


And how does free market actually play a role in here? When Fukuyama wrote about the greatness of liberalism in his famous article on this thing about "the end of History" at the end of cold war, his article no longer associate free trade to liberalism. In fact, liberalism had always been ungoing rapid change and diversification as their supporters keep on making revisions to embrace what work and avoid what failed. I had been role playing as the priestess of the invisible hand to lure the Capitalists and make them introduce their vision of Capitalism, but many of them cannot provide a clear definition of the invisible hand although they are somewhat more successful at defining Capitalism.

Also, why should I believe in this statistics especially when it could exaggerate the deaths or falsely held the Communists as scapegoat.
runec 
40954 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/8/18 , edited 2/8/18

Rujikin wrote:



He knows Musk isn't American right? He's an immigrant. From a "shithole" country in Africa.

36761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 2/8/18 , edited 2/8/18
First a Reliant Robin, now a Tesla
23712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 2/8/18 , edited 2/8/18

runec wrote:


Rujikin wrote:



He knows Musk isn't American right? He's an immigrant. From a "shithole" country in Africa.



Elon Musk took the oath of American citizenship with thirty-five hundred other immigrants at the Pomona Fairplex, in a ceremony he calls "actually very moving." (2002)

Fun fact: Even though he was born in South Africa, his maternal grandfather & great-grandfather are actually American.


So are only native born Canadians considered Canadians up in Canada? I'm not really sure how you guys consider that up there since I've never cared to move to Canada.

South Africa has turned into a pretty big shithole since they started their racial warfare against whites there. Why do you think SpaceX is based out of America instead of South Africa?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.