Post Reply Videos not available in your region.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18
So Crunchyroll has this thing going on with the ''Anime Awards'' for example one for best villain. One of which has the show ''My hero academia'' and it just so peaks my interest. What is this show let's find it. In an attempt to find the show it happens to be not available in my region. What kind of nonsense is this?

So i'm being presented with a show that i could vote on to have ''the best villain'' but can't actually watch the show? Can someone explain to me what kind of joke this is?
Dragon
69437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18

Br00dstar wrote:

So Crunchyroll has this thing going on with the ''Anime Awards'' for example one for best villain. One of which has the show ''My hero academia'' and it just so peaks my interest. What is this show let's find it. In an attempt to find the show it happens to be not available in my region. What kind of nonsense is this?

So i'm being presented with a show that i could vote on to have ''the best villain'' but can't actually watch the show? Can someone explain to me what kind of joke this is?


It comes down to licenses. CR negotiates what shows they can stream with the publishers, who put restrictions on things - sometimes it means bundles of shows (you want show X, it comes only in a bundle with A, B, and C as well), or sometimes regions (CR wants show Y, but it was part of a bundle that another service got, or another streaming service outbid on that show for a region, or in a region that show is being aired on local TV that means the streaming license isn't available at all, or ...). CR is limited to what they can bid on and get licenses for, and there is competition in streaming and on TV.

As a premium member, the best thing I can suggest is going to the What show would you like to see on CR thread - the content managers pay attention to that, and use it to guide what shows they hit hard on.
120398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18

Br00dstar wrote:

So Crunchyroll has this thing going on with the ''Anime Awards'' for example one for best villain. One of which has the show ''My hero academia'' and it just so peaks my interest. What is this show let's find it. In an attempt to find the show it happens to be not available in my region. What kind of nonsense is this?

So i'm being presented with a show that i could vote on to have ''the best villain'' but can't actually watch the show? Can someone explain to me what kind of joke this is?


Aside from regional license stuff (where CR has a show in some regions but not others), please be aware that the Awards aren't just about shows on Crunchyroll--they are intended to be more inclusive. Some of the nominees aren't available from Crunchy in any region--people watch them elsewhere, often on other legitimate streaming services.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18
Look i see what you mean that there are licensing issues at hand here, but why is the website then pushing me to check these obligatory awards for shows i can't even see? Even at the very top of this page i see a header pointing out to me that there are awards. Quite frankly this is a massive insult to injury for them to point out shows I can't watch.

This is exactly like me showing you a dish to eat and asking you how it tastes, but you're not allowed to eat it, or even touch it.
120398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18

Br00dstar wrote:
but why is the website then pushing me to check these obligatory awards for shows i can't even see?


Because it's not all about you personally, and many, many, many, many other people can see those shows on Crunchyroll or other legit places.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/10/18

lorreen wrote:


Br00dstar wrote:
but why is the website then pushing me to check these obligatory awards for shows i can't even see?


Because it's not all about you personally, and many, many, many, many other people can see those shows on Crunchyroll or other legit places.


If i am to copare what i can't watch in comparison to the US, the list is far too big i'm affraid. But hey it'd be nice if you guys were honest and up front about it. Because all this looks like is ''Sorry for not living in America henceforth we're leaving you with very little to show you''.

I know what I'm doing, and that is ending my subscription, good luck with this nonsense. I would have gladly even used a VPN to watch the shows i want but even that is something you guys won't allow.

I bid y'all a good day and good luck with this ''service''
Humms 
12865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18

Br00dstar wrote:


lorreen wrote:


Br00dstar wrote:
but why is the website then pushing me to check these obligatory awards for shows i can't even see?


Because it's not all about you personally, and many, many, many, many other people can see those shows on Crunchyroll or other legit places.


If i am to copare what i can't watch in comparison to the US, the list is far too big i'm affraid. But hey it'd be nice if you guys were honest and up front about it. Because all this looks like is ''Sorry for not living in America henceforth we're leaving you with very little to show you''.

I know what I'm doing, and that is ending my subscription, good luck with this nonsense. I would have gladly even used a VPN to watch the shows i want but even that is something you guys won't allow.

I bid y'all a good day and good luck with this ''service''


Obligatory waving of the hand. Bye
183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / UK
Online
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18

Br00dstar wrote:

If i am to copare what i can't watch in comparison to the US, the list is far too big i'm affraid. But hey it'd be nice if you guys were honest and up front about it. Because all this looks like is ''Sorry for not living in America henceforth we're leaving you with very little to show you''.


Not sure where you are in the world, but here in the UK theres still tons of content accessible. I've only come across one show that I can't watch due to licensing, and I'll live.

I'd say they (the site) are pretty open about things; you get a trial account to see whats available to you that lasts two weeks, thats pretty decent. Canceling your subscription because you've come across a show you can't watch despite having watched (presumably) a lot of other shows (and enjoyed them) just seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face.
17434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18
I can empathise with the feeling as it kind of feels like paying for an inferior service in comparison and would be a liar if I said I haven't asked it but I am sympathetic to the mods for having to answer this constantly. Fortunately I live in the UK so there isn't that many I can't watch and sometimes I watch a lot so the service is good for me and many people feel the same though I would appreciate more competition in my region on a positive note though it does seem like the UK at least have been getting stuff I think we got eromanga sensei and I don't think america got that I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it goes both ways sometimes in that america doesn't always get all of the access to the catalog again I could be wrong...

I can only speak from my own experience though I don't know what your region is like.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18
Well the weird thing is i'm only one country over in the Netherlands. But the same thing happened to Netflix as well where there's just boatloads of content that is only available in other countries. Heck i did stop watching TV here because the things we're getting are so limited it's absolutely terrible.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/9/18 , edited 2/9/18

SandyNewt wrote:

I can empathise with the feeling as it kind of feels like paying for an inferior service in comparison and would be a liar if I said I haven't asked it but I am sympathetic to the mods for having to answer this constantly. Fortunately I live in the UK so there isn't that many I can't watch and sometimes I watch a lot so the service is good for me and many people feel the same though I would appreciate more competition in my region on a positive note though it does seem like the UK at least have been getting stuff I think we got eromanga sensei and I don't think america got that I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it goes both ways sometimes in that america doesn't always get all of the access to the catalog again I could be wrong...

I can only speak from my own experience though I don't know what your region is like.




To also give you a greater example on what I mean, i did do some research on what i'm missing out on, and it evens out to be a total of ~332 shows. Give or take a couple shows that might have been added in the mean time as the source material is a few months old. The total adds up to a whopping 40% which is nearly half of the shows i'm missing out on.

A couple examples of pretty good shows that are available in US but not here are:

Assassination Classroom
Black Butler
Blue Exorcist
Captain Harlock
Cardcaptor Sakura
Cowboy Bebop
Digimon Adventure
Fist of the North Star
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Hunter x Hunter
Mononoke
My Hero Academia
No Game No Life
One Piece
Zatch Bell!

So you tell me, if you want here's the source material: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aZnPpp_0716HLYCnuGzsvt5GvHwAiuQdvGAOemcMk_A/edit#gid=1767647293

15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/18 , edited 4/29/18
So in other words, regions like mine i.e. the Pacific are completely left out in the cold due to these licensing issues? I was able to watch all my shows a few days ago and now only Naruto, Fairy Tale and Boruto shows up in my CR app. All of my other shows now seems unavailable in my region. Is there any other way to sort this out? I will have no choice but to unsubscribe, simply because almost all of the content is not available for me to enjoy and yet they were just a week ago. What on earth happened?
Der Zoodirektor
26614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 4/29/18 , edited 4/29/18

kanime4life wrote:

So in other words, regions like mine i.e. the Pacific are completely left out in the cold due to these licensing issues? I was able to watch all my shows a few days ago and now only Naruto, Fairy Tale and Boruto shows up in my CR app. All of my other shows now seems unavailable in my region. Is there any other way to sort this out? I will have no choice but to unsubscribe, simply because almost all of the content is not available for me to enjoy and yet they were just a week ago. What on earth happened?


Did you travel to a different island? From an US overseas territory to an island that is part of a different country?
You must be logged in to post.