First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Recovery of an MMO Junkie director is arguably an Anti-Semitic
runec 
38516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/10/18

vangosroth wrote:
Nope. Wont reconsider. I'm Armenian and I would still defend the right of a moron to say the Armenian Genocide never happened over defending someone trying to censor them.


You might have a point....if anyone in the thread had actually suggested censoring him.

But seeing as no one has and nor was it suggested by the article... -.-

31672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/10/18
Yeah, like many others, I don't care. One man's views have nothing to do with the the quality of the anime and the work of the entire animation team.
8557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 2/10/18

runec wrote:


vangosroth wrote:
Nope. Wont reconsider. I'm Armenian and I would still defend the right of a moron to say the Armenian Genocide never happened over defending someone trying to censor them.


You might have a point....if anyone in the thread had actually suggested censoring him.

But seeing as no one has and nor was it suggested by the article... -.-



The general reaction to when stuff like this happens is to shut the offender up (kicked off twitter / social media ) and get them fired. I don't see why this case would be any different.
runec 
38516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/10/18

vangosroth wrote:
The general reaction to when stuff like this happens is to shut the offender up (kicked off twitter / social media ) and get them fired. I don't see why this case would be any different.


You're confusing censorship with the social consequences of being a horrible person. Being told to leave because you're an asshole is not censorship nor a suppression of your free speech. It's because you're an asshole and no one wants to put up with you. You are still free to espouse your views but freedom of speech doesn't entitle you to a platform or a captive audience.






36510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 2/11/18

cyberfaust wrote:
The WWII ships in Kancolle, I think, reflects on the superficiality of the understanding of this period in contemporary otaku culture; why not shipgirls based on current JMSDF ships for example, instead of ships associated with a history of authoritarianism and atrocity?
WWII setting is just popular in general. *looks at the long list of video games set in WWII*
Even if you specifically look at naval warfare games its pretty much split between sailing ships and WWII. Thats mostly due to the fact that modern naval warfare isn't as interesting as the ship to ship battles of the past, which is what people usually think of when you say naval warfare.
Why is World of Warships set in WWII as is Kancolle, when they could have set it in modern time? Most likely due to the sheer amount of variety of warships. Thus allowing for more variety in gameplay. Plus I think people like Battleships even though that class of ship has been dead for a while.

How many military movies have you seen where it takes place during peace times. Its few and far between, compared to the mountain of war movies. The Big 3 anime are centered around fighting to solve conflicts. People like there fighting and conflicts, thus it sells.
45 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/18 , edited 2/11/18
i'm sorry but i am going to have to disagree with you there. You say you agree with the fact that the label is thrown around too much and then you proceed to say that they were all neo Nazis there i know in charlottesville Lauren southern (who is definitely NOT a Nazi) showed up and while the KKK where present most of it was a reactionary move to the other side and nothing to do with neo Nazism. Anti-fa has been designated a domestic terrorism in the US and yet the left is not judged by the fact that they had terrorists at that rally. What may have confused some people and the media definitely seized on it, was the fact that many of the people in charlottesville where carrying 'kekistan flags' which look somewhat like Nazi ones but are actually a parody of it, It was more for trolling purposes originally until the KKK decided to be idiots like they usually are and start waving them too. While i was not there this has been my interpretation from looking at many source videos and captured video from inside the protest.
45 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/18
Sorry to say but in this political climate i don't think anybody needs too. Everybody knows that if a social j warrior jumped on this thread they would be screaming bloody mary and trying to say that he is some kind of bigot and needs silencing.
60106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Online
Posted 2/11/18

Charlotte_Cavatica wrote:

Okay, I haven't read through the entire thread, so I can't comment on what others have said, but here are my thoughts as a Jewish person, an anime fan, and someone who tries to follow the principle of tikkun olam, repairing the world. Basically, it means living one's life trying to make the world a bit better.

I do encourage people to care, though, I'm not asking people to boycott the series (I haven't watched it yet but the series itself looks positive overall). I don't really think that would accomplish anything.

What I mean when I say I want people to care is that I want them to learn history---not just with respect to the Holocaust, but all human history, stretching beyond their countries of origin and religious beliefs---and see just how much we humans have hurt each other, and for what foolish reasons, so that we don't keep repeating the sins of the past. Of course, that's easier said than done, because we humans certainly do keep ignoring, and repeating, those sins, but living is striving to do better.

My mother's parents were Holocaust survivors, and while I never knew my grandfather, my grandma risked her life many times during WWII to bring whatever food and medicine she could to fellow refugees. Food was scarce; she ate whatever scraps she could find, including pork and horse meat, to survive.

If I could speak to this man myself I would tell him that I exist because what he denies really happened. My grandmother loved her home and would never have left it by choice. I have few relatives on my mother's side because most of my grandparents' families were murdered. I do not have the option of going to a normal grave to pay my respects. Instead I will have to go to places like Auschwitz, though it is probably going to be unsafe considering the resurgence of anti-Semitism in Poland. But that doesn't matter. Someday I will go. Maybe I can share my grandma's story with people who may doubt.

For those who say they don't care . . . I sincerely hope you reconsider. You probably know at least one person who owes his or her life to someone who survived a genocide.


While I am not Jewish myself, I have Jewish friends, who are the children of survivors, and have had the fortune to know at least one survivor personally. That said, I have an affinity for the Jewish people and Jewish causes while having an appreciation for anime and Japan, despite being a Korean American. Hence, I feel conflicted by Yaginuma's views when pitted against his work on MMO Junkie, a series that I was raving over when it came out ls. It is obvious that he is very talented individual, and the series, as noted by many, does not reflect his views, at least in an overt manner. Also, like Mother's Basement has pointed out on YouTube, it is not fair to punish the entire staff of MMO Junkie for one person's views. Furthermore, this is complicated by where one places the divide between the art and person or people involved with creating that art. Still, I cannot condone or remain silent in the face of Yaginuma's views on the genocide of 6 million Jews, something that Mother's Basement completely missed. Holocaust or Shoah denial is completely unacceptable. While some here may say that I am a SJW because of that, there are certain things that are hateful but can be "tolerated," but the desecration of the memory of the victims of a mass genocide is certainly not one of them.

In light of the above, I would recommend the manga of MMO Junkie to people, even though I have not read it. However, I would find myself more hard-pressed to recommend the anime, and I will probably not watch Yaginuma's future works with him in the director's role, if he ever gets another shot at it. Since his views are public, and these views are bad PR for the companies he works for, it is likely that he will be ostracized from the anime industry in a similar way to Mel Gibson. Although I do not hate him personally, I do think a time-out might be necessary for him to reflect on his views of Jews and the Holocaust. Also, while I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, it is kind of hard to do so when he has been so consistent.

Even so, Japan is not known to be the most culturally and historically sensitive country in the world by a long shot. Many have accused it of whitewashing its history, especially in terms of its responsibilities in WWII. As an ally of Nazi Germany, its narrative is, to put it kindly, different, which is probably why the Japanese are not so informed on what Nazi Germany represents. Consequently, most Japanese have probably never seen a Jew and don't know what one is, which makes Yaginuma's anti-Semitism one out of ignorance at best. Still, that does not excuse him or his opinions.
4888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Guayaquil, Ecuador
Offline
Posted 2/11/18
564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/18
For sure don’t give a flying fuck regarding the anime. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am not going to hate it just because the director has issues. I see nothing bad in the show, else I wouldn’t have enjoyed it.
DP0083 
16111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/18 , edited 2/11/18

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:

Whether he does or doesn't, this controversy feels like the product of someone wanting to further their own career/agenda, possibly even originating from some business rival of Yaginuma. News flash; people can and do hold non-pc opinions, and a move to censor anyone and everyone, including their works, is nothing short of disturbing. For f*ck's sake, the guy isn't even a politician or some other social figure, so why try and ruin the career of a Japanese animator? These kinds of character assassinations are abhorrent.


The guy is assassinating his own character if he is engaging in anti-semitic behavior. He doesn't need help from anyone else in destroying his reputation. Of course, maybe that kind of behavior isn't a big issue in Japan. He would already be looking for a new career if he lived and worked in North America.

455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/18
I liked the anime so who cares.
DP0083 
16111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/18

ainsoph9 wrote:


Even so, Japan is not known to be the most culturally and historically sensitive country in the world by a long shot. Many have accused it of whitewashing its history, especially in terms of its responsibilities in WWII. As an ally of Nazi Germany, its narrative is, to put it kindly, different, which is probably why the Japanese are not so informed on what Nazi Germany represents. Consequently, most Japanese have probably never seen a Jew and don't know what one is, which makes Yaginuma's anti-Semitism one out of ignorance at best. Still, that does not excuse him or his opinions.


Have you ever seen "Rail of The Star". It is a perfect example of what you are referring to when it comes to Japanese denial of their actions during World War II.

From what I have heard Japan actually took in quite a few Jewish refugees during WWII, even though they were part of the Axis. They were more accepting of Jewish refugees than Allied countries such as the USA and Canada.
24112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 2/11/18
What is the purpose of this? You want someone to bash his brains out with a louisville slugger? Should his children be burnt at the stake for it? Should we erase all his works, everything he touched from existence including sending elite shock troopers to peoples homes to confiscate the BD/DVDs? Maybe we all should each write a 150 page essay explaining why he's the worst human being alive today? Oh, I know we should demand all his assets be confiscated and donated to some Jewish charity! Yes, I hyperbole often; especially when I'm not sure why this needed, demanded, to be brought to our attention.
60106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Online
Posted 2/11/18
I have not seen this movie, but I would be interested.

The Japanese only took in refugees because Sugihara Chiune, the vice consul to Lithuania, made numerous visas and passports for fleeing Jews against orders from the two of the Japanese government. While Japan did not cooperate with Nazi Germany to openly and forcefully deport Jews to the death camps, they certainly were not the friends of Jews overall. If not for Sugihara's intervention, many Jews would not be alive today. For this reason, he is listed among the Righteous Among the Nations at Yad Vashem in Israel today, despite being largely ignored for decades - to the point that he died in obscurity and poverty until those he saved stepped forward.

Conversely, the situation in the United States and Canada was not really any better. Both countries are responsible for the death off hundreds of Jews by refusing to allow a ship to dock in port full of them. All of them perished in the concentration camps.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.