Post Reply I am not great at writing in third-person like I was before.
49619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/13/18 , edited 2/13/18
Times have changed and all I want to do is write in first person. I use to write in third person more than first and it was somewhat decent. Now, I can not stomach writing in third-person. I get easily irritated and anxious when I write in third person. I don't have too many problems with writing in first-person. But with third-person, it feels stale and lacking and it really bothers me. Doesn't matter if it is a rough draft or the final piece it just bothers me. What I am asking is how do I get back to love writing in third person again? Because sometimes I end up feeling stuck and can seem to move ahead in paragraphs. I don't want to give up on first-person but I want to write some stories in third-person. So, how do I get my love back?

I know I have to read but is there anything else?

9788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/18 , edited 2/14/18
I'm going to preface this with - I am not a writer or a creative anything, so have large handfuls of salt ready to take.

Personally I find my interest in hobbies, or sub-parts of a hobby, waxes and wanes. Gaming is a good example. I'll play RPGs solidly, then feel like something else and play some roguelike or management sim. I also flicked between Tank, Healer and DPS when playing WoW.

You might find that giving it time helps. Write out the initial enthusiasm burst of First Person and see if you go naturally back to Third for some stories.


I know you were after technical help, but that's the best I can do.
49619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/18 , edited 2/14/18

CasualObserver wrote:

I'm going to preface this with - I am not a writer or a creative anything, so have large handfuls of salt ready to take.

Personally I find my interest in hobbies, or sub-parts of a hobby, waxes and wanes. Gaming is a good example. I'll play RPGs solidly, then feel like something else and play some roguelike or management sim. I also flicked between Tank, Healer and DPS when playing WoW.

You might find that giving it time helps. Write out the initial enthusiasm burst of First Person and see if you go naturally back to Third for some stories.


I know you were after technical help, but that's the best I can do.



Thanks for the help.
38482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Usually right und...
Online
Posted 2/14/18 , edited 2/14/18
I'm not a writer but I can relate in a way. I have other creative hobbies and sometimes you just get stuck with something you feel you want to and should do but it's just not working out.
If you're anything like me, don't try to force it. You're just going to hate every bit of progress you make on the project and see nothing but problems when you look at it.
Instead, completely ignore what you should be doing and do what comes naturally for a while. Try to get your sense of play back so you can come back to your problem with a fresh mind.

As it were I recently re-read Patrick Rothfuss' blog entry where he talks about how he ended up being involved in writing a character for Torment: Tides of Numenera, I'll quote you the bit where he talks about his dealings with writer's block in the spoiler.
15864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/18 , edited 2/14/18
Why do you feel this way?

Personally, I find writing internal monologue to be some of the most fun I have when writing. While first person is great for that, don't feel like you have to shy away from it just because you are writing in third person. You can still write out a character's thoughts, or write in such a way that draws directly from a character's mind state.

If you really know a character, sometimes it can be extremely fun to write those moments, while the grind of getting from one moment to the next gets tedious. I have two pieces of advice for that issue:
1) Make the moment to moment fun: Honestly, if you aren't having fun writing something, people probably aren't going to have fun reading it, so what can you do (I want to say, that doesn't mean you can't write when you aren't feeling 100%. Sometimes you honestly have to in order to get over a hump, just that those instances usually need a little more time in editing to get them up to par)? Well, I usually try to inject pieces of story, pieces of character building, little moments and interesting bits of setting into those quiet moments. Or sometimes, you can just cut them. You don't need to start from point A if point A is boring. Start in the middle of a conversation, or at the very end if the conversation doesn't actively add to the story.
2) Jump ahead: While books are typically read in order from the first page to the last, no one says you have to write them that way. If there is a scene in the next chapter that you really want to write, write it. Seize any passion you have and put it to work. You never know if you'll feel that same passion in a week or a month when you would have gotten to that scene. Afterwards, go back and fill in the bits and pieces that are missing.

Without more information, I can only fill in the blanks with my own experiences, so if this isn't what you were thinking, sorry, but feel free to give more information and have a bit of a conversation. Sometimes it helps to talk a bit.
49619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/18 , edited 2/15/18

sundin13 wrote:

Why do you feel this way?

Personally, I find writing internal monologue to be some of the most fun I have when writing. While first person is great for that, don't feel like you have to shy away from it just because you are writing in third person. You can still write out a character's thoughts, or write in such a way that draws directly from a character's mind state.

If you really know a character, sometimes it can be extremely fun to write those moments, while the grind of getting from one moment to the next gets tedious. I have two pieces of advice for that issue:
1) Make the moment to moment fun: Honestly, if you aren't having fun writing something, people probably aren't going to have fun reading it, so what can you do (I want to say, that doesn't mean you can't write when you aren't feeling 100%. Sometimes you honestly have to in order to get over a hump, just that those instances usually need a little more time in editing to get them up to par)? Well, I usually try to inject pieces of story, pieces of character building, little moments and interesting bits of setting into those quiet moments. Or sometimes, you can just cut them. You don't need to start from point A if point A is boring. Start in the middle of a conversation, or at the very end if the conversation doesn't actively add to the story.
2) Jump ahead: While books are typically read in order from the first page to the last, no one says you have to write them that way. If there is a scene in the next chapter that you really want to write, write it. Seize any passion you have and put it to work. You never know if you'll feel that same passion in a week or a month when you would have gotten to that scene. Afterwards, go back and fill in the bits and pieces that are missing.

Without more information, I can only fill in the blanks with my own experiences, so if this isn't what you were thinking, sorry, but feel free to give more information and have a bit of a conversation. Sometimes it helps to talk a bit.


I don't know why I feel this way. It's just third person hasn't been making me happy like it used it in the past.

Maybe I need to study up on Third-Person Limited before I start writing again.
36748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/17/18 , edited 2/17/18
It's a different feeling for the writer. Third person is an outsider describing what's happening so the reader can understand. First person is a character experiencing and feeling, using their own words.

It's a little like watching a play, or participating in it as an actor.

Although first person tends to get confusing after a while for readers. You can write in first to get the ideas out and understand the characters, and then later translate it into third.
49619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/19/18 , edited 2/19/18

marklebid wrote:

It's a different feeling for the writer. Third person is an outsider describing what's happening so the reader can understand. First person is a character experiencing and feeling, using their own words.

It's a little like watching a play, or participating in it as an actor.

Although first person tends to get confusing after a while for readers. You can write in first to get the ideas out and understand the characters, and then later translate it into third.


Thanks.
You must be logged in to post.