First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Am I the only one that prefers or dislikes Subs or dubs depending on its setting
30615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18
If a dub is available then I default to that 9/10. Anime is just more enjoyable in English for me. So yea no what you said doesn't apply to me.

And some anime dubs like Sword of the Stanger and the recent Vanishing line, had their characters from different origin speak their own languages. Chinese in Sword of the Stranger's case and recently spanish in Vanishing line.
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18
I watch dub most of the time. And if there’s not dub, then sub.
1163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Lights & Sounds
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18

TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.


Sub or Dub it's still a cartoon. I'm sure saying it isn't makes you feel superior or like a adult. Even though you are wrong.



14781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18
I guess this somewhat on the same topic, but I noticed a difference between Yusuke and Hiei's personalities dependning whether you watch it dubbed or subbed. Yusuke's Jappanese dialgoue actually makes him sound somewhat more mature than his English dubbed counterpart. Hiei on the other hand seems to be more soft spoken, more serious, and perhaps a bit nicer. Just thought it's interesting to see how much a characters personality can be altered in translation.
20 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18
I prefer subs unless I'm lying down watching then it's dubs, it's hard to read side ways
27420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18
Some things actually do better in dubs. Desert Punk's crude sense of of humor is more overtly humorous and risque to me in English.
67829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18

TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.

If a show is set in the USA and all the characters are American (that is, the anime version of a White or Black Amer.), then it makes sense for it to have a dub.
422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/2/18

kadmos1 wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.

If a show is set in the USA and all the characters are American (that is, the anime version of a White or Black Amer.), then it makes sense for it to have a dub.


Makes sense to you maybe.
422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18

Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.


Sub or Dub it's still a cartoon. I'm sure saying it isn't makes you feel superior or like a adult. Even though you are wrong.





Not at all about superiority. Its about immersion. I cant get into a "cartoon" thats in english and the talking doesnt match the lips or the dialog is changed to match better. Sometimes even the characters traits are adjusted. Ruins it for me.

*edit* Also, I got over trying to feel like an "adult" 20 years ago..
1163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Lights & Sounds
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18

TenzenShadow wrote:


Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.


Sub or Dub it's still a cartoon. I'm sure saying it isn't makes you feel superior or like a adult. Even though you are wrong.





Not at all about superiority. Its about immersion. I cant get into a "cartoon" thats in english and the talking doesnt match the lips or the dialog is changed to match better. Sometimes even the characters traits are adjusted. Ruins it for me.

*edit* Also, I got over trying to feel like an "adult" 20 years ago..


Everything you just said had nothing to do with what your originally said making your reply pointless.

Plus unless you get a extremely poor dub the voices usually match the lips one of the reason is thry add in extra dialogue to make that happen.
Plus Japanese isn't always the best.

RahXephon is a beautiful of example of the original japanese not being anywhere close to the english dub in terms of quality or emotion.
422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/2/18

Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:


Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.


Sub or Dub it's still a cartoon. I'm sure saying it isn't makes you feel superior or like a adult. Even though you are wrong.





Not at all about superiority. Its about immersion. I cant get into a "cartoon" thats in english and the talking doesnt match the lips or the dialog is changed to match better. Sometimes even the characters traits are adjusted. Ruins it for me.

*edit* Also, I got over trying to feel like an "adult" 20 years ago..


Everything you just said had nothing to do with what your originally said making your reply pointless.

Plus unless you get a extremely poor dub the voices usually match the lips one of the reason is thry add in extra dialogue to make that happen.
Plus Japanese isn't always the best.

RahXephon is a beautiful of example of the original japanese not being anywhere close to the english dub in terms of quality or emotion.


No, you just dont see the connection. Doesnt make it pointless. Just makes you short sighted. Imo, it feels like just a "cartoon" like originally stated because of the reasons I listed in my 2nd post, therefore ruining the immersion for me and making it feel like just a crappy cartoon and not an anime. Which I love and enjoy. Unlike cartoons.

Your reply however really is pointless. You list one anime that you enjoyed and "think" was better Dubbed. Doesnt change the fact that I wouldnt ever watch a dub. So I will never know. Also, it is not really an argument against Dubs ruining the immersion for some people.
1163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Lights & Sounds
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/2/18

TenzenShadow wrote:


Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:


Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.


Sub or Dub it's still a cartoon. I'm sure saying it isn't makes you feel superior or like a adult. Even though you are wrong.





Not at all about superiority. Its about immersion. I cant get into a "cartoon" thats in english and the talking doesnt match the lips or the dialog is changed to match better. Sometimes even the characters traits are adjusted. Ruins it for me.

*edit* Also, I got over trying to feel like an "adult" 20 years ago..


Everything you just said had nothing to do with what your originally said making your reply pointless.

Plus unless you get a extremely poor dub the voices usually match the lips one of the reason is thry add in extra dialogue to make that happen.
Plus Japanese isn't always the best.

RahXephon is a beautiful of example of the original japanese not being anywhere close to the english dub in terms of quality or emotion.


No, you just dont see the connection. Doesnt make it pointless. Just makes you short sighted. Imo, it feels like just a "cartoon" like originally stated because of the reasons I listed in my 2nd post, therefore ruining the immersion for me and making it feel like just a crappy cartoon and not an anime. Which I love and enjoy. Unlike cartoons.

Your reply however really is pointless. You list one anime that you enjoyed and "think" was better Dubbed. Doesnt change the fact that I wouldnt ever watch a dub. So I will never know. Also, it is not really an argument against Dubs ruining the immersion for some people.


Apparently you don't even know what anime is, because again they are all cartoons. Every anime you like is a cartoon.
Bad anime is is a bad cartoon. Since you like anime you enjoy cartoon because they are the same thing. Your immersion excuse is idiotic and close minded to not give both a chance and choose for yourself instead of just defautling. I'm done argueing with a child any longer though.
422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/2/18

Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:


Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:


Ashliet wrote:


TenzenShadow wrote:

Subs only, or else its no longer anime. You are just watching a cartoon.


Sub or Dub it's still a cartoon. I'm sure saying it isn't makes you feel superior or like a adult. Even though you are wrong.





Not at all about superiority. Its about immersion. I cant get into a "cartoon" thats in english and the talking doesnt match the lips or the dialog is changed to match better. Sometimes even the characters traits are adjusted. Ruins it for me.

*edit* Also, I got over trying to feel like an "adult" 20 years ago..


Everything you just said had nothing to do with what your originally said making your reply pointless.

Plus unless you get a extremely poor dub the voices usually match the lips one of the reason is thry add in extra dialogue to make that happen.
Plus Japanese isn't always the best.

RahXephon is a beautiful of example of the original japanese not being anywhere close to the english dub in terms of quality or emotion.


No, you just dont see the connection. Doesnt make it pointless. Just makes you short sighted. Imo, it feels like just a "cartoon" like originally stated because of the reasons I listed in my 2nd post, therefore ruining the immersion for me and making it feel like just a crappy cartoon and not an anime. Which I love and enjoy. Unlike cartoons.

Your reply however really is pointless. You list one anime that you enjoyed and "think" was better Dubbed. Doesnt change the fact that I wouldnt ever watch a dub. So I will never know. Also, it is not really an argument against Dubs ruining the immersion for some people.


Apparently you don't even know what anime is, because again they are all cartoons. Every anime you like is a cartoon.
Bad anime is is a bad cartoon. Since you like anime you enjoy cartoon because they are the same thing. Your immersion excuse is idiotic and close minded to not give both a chance and choose for yourself instead of just defautling. I'm done argueing with a child any longer though.


I guess I could have been more specific and said "Saturday morning cartoon" which I grew up on but would never enjoy now. Cartoon vs Anime is two different things to me. Might not be to you. But thats how I see it. And fuck you, Call me idiotic because I dont want to watch your shit dubs? Who's the child? lol come on loser. Im happy to be close minded and like what I like. Fuck what you like, idc.
67829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
Consider this scenario: some anime is actually set in the USA. Also, what if a Japanese writer/producer/director said something along the lines of "This show was intended for an American audience. If we had the resources for it, the English-language version would have been recorded first. As much as we tried and intended for this to happen, it just didn't work."? Going with this scenario, I would be talking about more of a Japanese writer/producer/director that is quite skilled in speaking/reading English. Also,let's not forget that the original language version of some anime movies is Eng. The 8/25/2000 premiere of "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust" was 1 of those movies. So, while the Eng. dub is the original, which version is better is the debate.
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
i'm the same way. doesn't make much sense for them to be speaking japanese if it takes place in london lol.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.