Post Reply How many people are you allowed to share your account with?
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 2/27/18 , edited 2/28/18
I have two people I'd like to share my account with but I'm new to crunchyroll and I don't know how this works. Can you even have multiple people watch from the same account at like the same time?
Guest Pass Litter Moderator
121166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/27/18 , edited 2/27/18

Shadowcaity wrote:

I have two people I'd like to share my account with but I'm new to crunchyroll and I don't know how this works. Can you even have multiple people watch from the same account at like the same time?


You are really not supposed to share with others--I believe it's even in the Terms of Service. An exception is generally made in the case of same household -- like family members. If the two people don't live with you then you should not be sharing your account with them.

TBH, even though I know some people are really financially strapped, it seems to me that sharing an account with another person would be really a nuisance that wouldn't be worth it. If you both wanted to watch the same shows you'd be messing up each others' watch histories. And if you both added lots of stuff to the queue, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a convenient place to queue up and order shows for your own convenience. Not to mention that others might misuse the account in some way, with the person paying for the account left responsible.
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 2/27/18 , edited 2/28/18
thanks for clearing it up for me!
15052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 2/28/18 , edited 2/28/18

lorreen wrote:
You are really not supposed to share with others--I believe it's even in the Terms of Service. An exception is generally made in the case of same household -- like family members. If the two people don't live with you then you should not be sharing your account with them.


this seems to be more like a rule of thumb than part of the contract in Crunchyroll's TOS, or at least i couldn't find it.
Guest Pass Litter Moderator
121166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/28/18 , edited 3/1/18

namealreadytaken wrote:


lorreen wrote:
You are really not supposed to share with others--I believe it's even in the Terms of Service. An exception is generally made in the case of same household -- like family members. If the two people don't live with you then you should not be sharing your account with them.


this seems to be more like a rule of thumb than part of the contract in Crunchyroll's TOS, or at least i couldn't find it.


I'd say that it's pretty strongly suggested by this part of the first section:


You are responsible for safeguarding and maintaining the confidentiality of your username, password and corresponding Crunchyroll account information. You agree not to disclose your password to anyone.


Sure there are some ways to share access to your account to some extent without actually disclosing your password to someone, but realistically if you are completely sharing an account with someone in a fairly unrestricted way, you'll need to disclose your password to them, which is against the ToS.
15052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 2/28/18 , edited 3/1/18

lorreen wrote:I'd say that it's pretty strongly suggested by this part of the first section:


You are responsible for safeguarding and maintaining the confidentiality of your username, password and corresponding Crunchyroll account information. You agree not to disclose your password to anyone.


Sure there are some ways to share access to your account to some extent without actually disclosing your password to someone, but realistically if you are completely sharing an account with someone in a fairly unrestricted way, you'll need to disclose your password to them, which is against the ToS.


i'd say Crunchyroll need to be clear on their policy. if we were to take that portion of the TOS, then:
logging into your accout on all one's friend's house and letting all one's friend watch under your account would be "ok", since there's no password sharing involved - all they need to do is let CR automatically log-in. of course, common sense would say otherwise. by the same token, giving your password to your sibling living under the same roof so that they can watch anime would be "against TOS", but once again common sense would say otherwise.
59925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 3/1/18

namealreadytaken wrote:

i'd say Crunchyroll need to be clear on their policy. if we were to take that portion of the TOS, then:
logging into your accout on all one's friend's house and letting all one's friend watch under your account would be "ok", since there's no password sharing involved - all they need to do is let CR automatically log-in. of course, common sense would say otherwise. by the same token, giving your password to your sibling living under the same roof so that they can watch anime would be "against TOS", but once again common sense would say otherwise.


Common sense should be "never ever, ever share your password, ever."
15052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/1/18 , edited 6/9/18

eyeofpain wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

i'd say Crunchyroll need to be clear on their policy. if we were to take that portion of the TOS, then:
logging into your accout on all one's friend's house and letting all one's friend watch under your account would be "ok", since there's no password sharing involved - all they need to do is let CR automatically log-in. of course, common sense would say otherwise. by the same token, giving your password to your sibling living under the same roof so that they can watch anime would be "against TOS", but once again common sense would say otherwise.


Common sense should be "never ever, ever share your password, ever."


my point is that the TOS should make it absolutely clear whether you can share your account privileges (watching anime without ads with a premium account) with your family or friends. the TOS only mentions "password sharing", which have loopholes as i mentioned.
11413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 3/3/18 , edited 3/3/18
Clear? Hhahahahaa right!
kis88 
270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 3/4/18 , edited 8/15/18
Lol theoretically the entire world could share from 1 Premium account. Have the username and password for it shared across the globe.


*I'm absolutely kidding of course

In all seriousness, people should keep their account to themselves and use discretion.
To be honest, I'd be reluctant to share my account. I pay for it, so it's my account. Why should someone freeload off it?
1007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / Canada
Offline
Posted 19 days ago , edited 19 days ago
What if you have family members in different houses who want to watch with you, or a girlfriend you wanna watch with who doesn't live with you can can't come to the house?
I'd feel like there are plenty of reasons why this should be more clear than it is.
You must be logged in to post.