First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Am I over a decade too late to the mecha party?
493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18
I noticed in that one video I watched, as well as from other people, that mecha anime is just a passing fad that's being replaced right now with sexualized adolescent girls, or "waifus" as anime fans would rather call them. It hit its peak with Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, but afterward faded into existence now that everything has to be waifus, idols, monster girls, and a variety of other types of sexy teenage anime girls.

So why is mecha not as popular as it used to be, even with the rise of streaming? And should I still like mecha even if I'm behind the times, because of, again, the rise of the "waifu"?
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/29/18
Evangelion killed it.

Thank you and have a nice day. :^)
4204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18
I don't even like Mecha, but there certainly are still Mecha shows around.

Darling in the Franxx has both Mecha and Waifus.
Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans was running just last year

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicles, Hundred, Hybrid X Heart Magias Academy, Infinite Stratos, Cross Ange

All of those shows had Mecha....and waifus.
493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18

zoroaoraoaster wrote:

Evangelion killed it.

Thank you and have a nice day. :^)


How? It just happened to reveal a hidden dark side to mecha, the same way Puella Magi Madoka Magica did the dark side to magical girls. So how can Eva kill mecha?
1154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/29/18
I'm relatively sure I know what video you're on about, so I'm going to try and avoid any arguments made in it, but the short answer is "you should like whatever the heck you want".

Firstly, even if Mecha is a thing of the past, doesn't mean you can't enjoy said past shows. Before any discussion on why a show is failing, it's important to keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with avoiding current shows if they don't agree with your tastes. This is especially relevant given that Full Metal Panic (a classic Mecha show) is literally just about to come back on air.

Most of this post is going to make the assumption that Mecha actually is less popular; I've been in and out of the anime fandom for a long time, so I can't judge whether it is actually less popular in all honesty. That said, I can at least offer some insight (I feel).

As for why Mecha mightn't be as popular now, there are a few potential reasons I can think of. Firstly, idols and other typical "waifu material" are just easy money. Sex sells, as they say, and for good reason. In fact, the so called "whales", who spend a tonne of money on "otaku" culture, often gravitate toward sexualised content. Thus shows with plenty of "waifus" are going to continue to thrive. Though I disagree that they've taken Mecha's place. Sexualised women have been a part of anime for longer than I care to remember. Sure, fanservice has increased in recent years (you just need to look at Geass R1 compared to R2 if you want evidence of that), but I think it's a stretch to say it's replacing anything outright. Partly because there's no reason that Mecha can't incorporate fanservice, but more because there are tonnes of good modern shows that don't adopt fanservice elements, or at least keep that side to a minimum. As someone who really dislikes obtrusive sexualisation, I can vouch for that much myself.

Second, times change. Mecha was most likely initially popular because the majority of the fanbase grew up with great Mecha shows. Now, 10 years or so on, there are loads of fans who have never seen Gundam, Gurren Lagann or even Code Geass. So it's natural for the creators to look toward recent trends. With all the moeblob around, it's not hard to see why it continues to plague Japanese screens. However, that's no reason to say that Mecha can't adapt and return to prominence. I mean, just look at Darling in the Franxx or Full Metal Panic Season I-don't-know-because-I-haven't-seen-it-yet (or indeed others that have been mentioned; am not going to list them all :P).

I'd like to finish by proposing a rather odd argument that Mecha actually isn't dead. I recently finished Re:Creators (great show, watch it) and couldn't help but notice that Mecha is actually surprisingly over-represented there. Most action show/game/whatever archetypes have at most one representative, but there are two different Mecha shows. I find it impossible to believe that this would be the case if Mecha was "dead". Instead, it seems to me that there are people within the anime industry who believe that Mecha still has a place among action genres. If they think so, I don't believe we can disagree with them. Couple that with the newer Mecha shows that have come up recently and I find it hard to understand why anyone would say "MECHA IS DEAD ALL HAIL MECHA".

Tl;dr: No, you're not too late. Mecha is still around and adapting to the new environment. It might possibly be less prominent (I'm honestly not the best judge of that), but to claim it's going to die out is sensationalism at its finest. Be proud of what you enjoy and stay on the lookout for good mecha shows.
qwueri 
24894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18
Most mecha wind up with "waifu" characters, seems like you're barking up the wrong tree as to why mecha has lost popularity.
7581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18
Like others have said, Gundam. Iron-blooded Orphans is great.

Another Gundam the Origin episode is coming out in May.

Commander_PonyShep wrote:


zoroaoraoaster wrote:

Evangelion killed it.

Thank you and have a nice day. :^)


How? It just happened to reveal a hidden dark side to mecha, the same way Puella Magi Madoka Magica did the dark side to magical girls. So how can Eva kill mecha?

It's not that Eva killed mecha imo, but that few anime are brave enough to come out of its shadow. A LOT of anime try to imitate or reference Eva and it gets old.
1602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Beneath the stars.
Online
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18

Commander_PonyShep wrote:

I noticed in that one video I watched, as well as from other people, that mecha anime is just a passing fad that's being replaced right now with sexualized adolescent girls, or "waifus" as anime fans would rather call them. It hit its peak with Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, but afterward faded into existence now that everything has to be waifus, idols, monster girls, and a variety of other types of sexy teenage anime girls.

So why is mecha not as popular as it used to be, even with the rise of streaming? And should I still like mecha even if I'm behind the times, because of, again, the rise of the "waifu"?


To put it simply, all things come to pass. There are still a few decent Mecha series being made, but it's certainly not like it was back during the hay day of the genre. Mecha had its day, now CGDCT, drama and SOL are having their moment and soon something else will rise in their place as well.
493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18

cyberfaust wrote:

Like others have said, Gundam. Iron-blooded Orphans is great.

Another Gundam the Origin episode is coming out in May.

Commander_PonyShep wrote:


zoroaoraoaster wrote:

Evangelion killed it.

Thank you and have a nice day. :^)


How? It just happened to reveal a hidden dark side to mecha, the same way Puella Magi Madoka Magica did the dark side to magical girls. So how can Eva kill mecha?

It's not that Eva killed mecha imo, but that few anime are brave enough to come out of its shadow. A LOT of anime try to imitate or reference Eva and it gets old.


This almost reminds me of that time I played through the Xenosaga trilogy on my Playstation 2. It featured Judeo-Christian imagery and Jungian psychology mixed together with mecha in a space opera setting. And, it told a needlessly overcomplicated narrative, similar to Eva.
36769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18
ah yes the mecha genre, the one genre that never had sexualized female characters or waifus
7581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/28/18

CKD-Anime wrote:

ah yes the mecha genre, the one genre that never had sexualized female characters or waifus

It did have sexualized robots though


36769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18

cyberfaust wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

ah yes the mecha genre, the one genre that never had sexualized female characters or waifus

It did have sexualized robots though
Indeed


66592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18

Commander_PonyShep wrote:

I noticed in that one video I watched, as well as from other people, that mecha anime is just a passing fad that's being replaced right now with sexualized adolescent girls, or "waifus" as anime fans would rather call them. It hit its peak with Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, but afterward faded into existence now that everything has to be waifus, idols, monster girls, and a variety of other types of sexy teenage anime girls.

So why is mecha not as popular as it used to be, even with the rise of streaming? And should I still like mecha even if I'm behind the times, because of, again, the rise of the "waifu"?


Is it Gigguk's video? "LAWL"
1602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Beneath the stars.
Online
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18

CKD-Anime wrote:

ah yes the mecha genre, the one genre that never had sexualized female characters or waifus




Is this an striking example of sarcasm or Poe's Law?

188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/27/18 , edited 3/27/18
It has to do with Girls Und Panzer, the moe has become a cancer that I am supporting by buying merchandise since I'm not going to buy things that are made in the shape of a dude.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.