First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply CR censoring the Danmachi: Memoria Freese game
22193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/15/18
Not that I would have played it (I don't play mobile games, especially so called "free" ones), still a shame when a game is censored.
Always the English audience magically cannot deal with content that people in other countries can. We can have movies and games with people shooting each other's heads off or extreme gore, but at a little bit of sexual content and everyone loses their minds.
Out of principle I don't buy games or other media from licensors that censor their product since it takes away from the game designer's/design team's vision for the game. A middle ground would have been a censored and a noncensored version of the game and let consumers make that decision for themselves. This we gotta protect people from themselves thing is getting old.



15060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/29/18
here's how a typical Japanese company would respond, if a feature shown was missing in the actual game:

Dear customers,
from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for playing this game. unfortunately, due to [reasons], we were unable to provide the [feature].
we sincerely regret that the feature will not be available in the game, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it caused. as a compensation, we will be providing all players with a in-game bonus item, which will be decided at a later date. once again, we're sincerely sorry for falling short of your expectations, and we hope you enjoy the game. thank you
- the dev team
(the actual language used is far more formal and far more professional, obviously)

here's how the localization company for danmemo responded:



The team stands by the decision. There is absolutely no effect on the game whatsoever with this move. Thanks!

https://twitter.com/danmemoen/status/981976569433509898



Hi! Official DanMemo Community Team here. The "touching" feature was removed from the English version of the game, yes. Not as a matter of censorship or depriving non-Japanese audiences of anything, but due to what is appropriate and not appropriate for English audiences. Hope that answers your question!

https://i.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/8a4xve/censorship_facetouching_mode_has_been_removed/

typical Japanese company response ----------danmemo localization team response

honest: admit the promised feature is gone ------ promise? what promise?
apologetic: we're sorry it's not in the game ------- promise? what promise?
acknowledge people wanted that feature ----------it doesn't affect you anyway lol
promise for compensation -----------------------------just be glad we even bothered to translate it
2744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/10/18

namealreadytaken wrote:

here's how a typical Japanese company would respond, if a feature shown was missing in the actual game:

Dear customers,
from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for playing this game. unfortunately, due to [reasons], we were unable to provide the [feature].
we sincerely regret that the feature will not be available in the game, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it caused. as a compensation, we will be providing all players with a in-game bonus item, which will be decided at a later date. once again, we're sincerely sorry for falling short of your expectations, and we hope you enjoy the game. thank you
- the dev team
(the actual language used is far more formal and far more professional, obviously)

here's how the localization company for danmemo responded:



The team stands by the decision. There is absolutely no effect on the game whatsoever with this move. Thanks!

https://twitter.com/danmemoen/status/981976569433509898



Hi! Official DanMemo Community Team here. The "touching" feature was removed from the English version of the game, yes. Not as a matter of censorship or depriving non-Japanese audiences of anything, but due to what is appropriate and not appropriate for English audiences. Hope that answers your question!

https://i.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/8a4xve/censorship_facetouching_mode_has_been_removed/

typical Japanese company response ----------danmemo localization team response

honest: admit the promised feature is gone ------ promise? what promise?
apologetic: we're sorry it's not in the game ------- promise? what promise?
acknowledge people wanted that feature ----------it doesn't affect you anyway lol
promise for compensation -----------------------------just be glad we even bothered to translate it


Like I never even knew about this game till right now, but this whole censorship issue is bothering me because of how the company addressed it. It's less of an issue that this feature was removed and more of an issue that the company appears to believe anything they decide is correct even if it's based off their own opinion. The fact they personally deem something inappropriate for all of the "English Speaking/ Non-Japanese" world is already irritating enough and the fact they basically told that entire audience to "go screw off because it's not even important lol" is just icing on the cake.
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18

Greylurker wrote:

and Warcraft said they would include aireal dogfights, a dance studio and Path of the Titans in some of their expansions and never did.

Stuff gets cut, I fail to see what the big deal is


That particular feature is fully functional and active in the Japanese version of the Danmachi game while those Warcraft features were never implemented.



Greylurker wrote:

lets be clear

they cut a virtual sexual assault function from a free game that is available to all ages

still not seeing the problem


They marketed said feature in their videos for the game release in order to attract customers towards their gatcha system while never giving notice that it wasn't included in their official release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fLwHR3TuU



jcal94 wrote:


Greylurker wrote:

lets be clear

they cut a virtual sexual assault function from a free game that is available to all ages

still not seeing the problem


Serious question: Are you mentally daft? Calling something where you tap the location of a cartoon character of either gender on your phone's screen to get a small reaction and a voice line a "virtual sexual assault function"? But hey, you're in Canada, where just using the wrong freaking pronoun can get you in legal trouble, so you must be brainwashed into accepting censorship and progressive nonsense. I can't be too surprised that you're foolish enough to consider it a "virtual sexual assault function"... My gosh, it just sounds so stupid every time I think it...


Please don't give them ideas or next they will try to claim checking out girls equals rape
12257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/29/18

riem2k wrote:


Greylurker wrote:

and Warcraft said they would include aireal dogfights, a dance studio and Path of the Titans in some of their expansions and never did.

Stuff gets cut, I fail to see what the big deal is


That particular feature is fully functional and active in the Japanese version of the Danmachi game while those Warcraft features were never implemented.



Greylurker wrote:

lets be clear

they cut a virtual sexual assault function from a free game that is available to all ages

still not seeing the problem


They marketed said feature in their videos for the game release in order to attract customers towards their gatcha system while never giving notice that it wasn't included in their official release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fLwHR3TuU



jcal94 wrote:


Greylurker wrote:

lets be clear

they cut a virtual sexual assault function from a free game that is available to all ages

still not seeing the problem


Serious question: Are you mentally daft? Calling something where you tap the location of a cartoon character of either gender on your phone's screen to get a small reaction and a voice line a "virtual sexual assault function"? But hey, you're in Canada, where just using the wrong freaking pronoun can get you in legal trouble, so you must be brainwashed into accepting censorship and progressive nonsense. I can't be too surprised that you're foolish enough to consider it a "virtual sexual assault function"... My gosh, it just sounds so stupid every time I think it...


Please don't give them ideas or next they will try to claim checking out girls equals rape


Bit too late for this shit, to them anyone that likes anime or anything remotely ecchi is a damn pedophile lmao.
6172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/29/18
Pretty sad that this happened.
I am not much of a gamer anymore, but I feel for you guys. If anything like that happened to an anime even if I'm not watching it, I would cancel my subscription immediately. I don't need a gatekeeper and censor, especially a feminist or otherwise religious one (left or right wing culture warriors) to tell me what I can or cannot consume.
0er0 
8006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/29/18


Not happy about this censorship. How long before they censor anime? Isn't a lot of it 'inappropriate' for english culture?

I'm not sure what your reasons are, but bad call. Maybe you should actually apologize for the feature not being there? I don't intend to buy the game, but I know censorship is pretty much always out of line.
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18

thesimpleway wrote:

I don't need a gatekeeper and censor, especially a feminist or otherwise religious one (left or right wing culture warriors) to tell me what I can or cannot consume.



Reminds me of a movie called Cinema Paradiso where there's a scene in which the local priest remove kissing scenes from films
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMqE1Fayk28

5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/10/18
This is absolutely infuriating. Not only did they censor the game based on a fanservice heavy anime to begin with, but they LIED about it multiple times AND included the feature in the official trailer. I was having a blast with this game, and I was even heavily considering whaling. I even regret the $50 I've already spent on this game now, though, so I guess you they've made sure I won't be spending any more money on this game until this is fixed. Not only that, but I'm cancelling my premium account that I've had for years as well. I guess I'll have to find another way to help support the shows I like. I won't be giving any more money to a company that not only censors content but engages in false advertising AND lies directly to fans on social media. I'll be reporting that false advertising to the proper authorities, too.
4007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/18 , edited 4/10/18
Thanks for the info, I will cancel my premium because I don't support censorship.

And I don't even play on mobile...
Posted 4/10/18 , edited 4/29/18

namealreadytaken wrote:

just be glad we even bothered to translate it


Due to the nature of how governments here ban stuff like touching female bits for rewards in games I kinda go well Id rather a translated censored version then a non existent version. Because it's easy to end up with nothing here as one 5 second joke from a game is enough to see the thing banned.

I just wish Japanese etc developers didn't go down the feel they need to add weird stuff to games that would get them banned here. Because it's part of the reason why some English versions end up censored.
Make it for the lowest allowed and give everyone that version because it's a lot cheaper then making multiple versions for all English regions. Which is likely the reason CR decided to censor/restrict it in the first place.

Anyway for someone not in the know what actually was the touching part about exactly. Was it just making the parts jiggle and a eeek no don't touch me there? or was there an actual reward for doing it?

21556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Montreal, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/10/18 , edited 4/29/18
I have no interest in the game (mostly because my device does not support it).

This removal of an (advertised btw) feature, CR, is CENSORSHIP not localization.

Localization is making sure your content is using appropriate words for the level of language used by the original. For instance if you have a slang, you use the correct local market slang for the same word (if it exists, if not you use the non-slang version of the word).

I know that a lot of game so called localisation teams tries to pull this kind of retarded censorship and call it localization, but I was expecting better of CR since, you know your entire thing is doing subs for anime... I was expecting that you knew your target audience better and that said target audience wanted all of the features of the game since they tend to not be part of the easily offended crowd.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/18 , edited 4/10/18
Good, now CrunchyRoll only needs to censor their anime to be appropriate for English speaking countries.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
24036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Bethlehem
Offline
Posted 4/10/18 , edited 4/29/18
This is bait and switch for sure. Telling people it wouldn't be censored just a few days before it came out, when it in fact is censored is BS.

Contact the FTC as described in the reddit thread, and rate the game appropriately on the Play Store and App Store.
12257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 4/10/18 , edited 4/29/18

penguincat wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

just be glad we even bothered to translate it


Due to the nature of how governments here ban stuff like touching female bits for rewards in games I kinda go well Id rather a translated censored version then a non existent version. Because it's easy to end up with nothing here as one 5 second joke from a game is enough to see the thing banned.

I just wish Japanese etc developers didn't go down the feel they need to add weird stuff to games that would get them banned here. Because it's part of the reason why some English versions end up censored.
Make it for the lowest allowed and give everyone that version because it's a lot cheaper then making multiple versions for all English regions. Which is likely the reason CR decided to censor/restrict it in the first place.

Anyway for someone not in the know what actually was the touching part about exactly. Was it just making the parts jiggle and a eeek no don't touch me there? or was there an actual reward for doing it?



This is hilariously stupid thought process, EU laws sure. But in NA, touching wouldn't require the game to be censored.........at all. You do know games such as Senran Kagura allow you to touch as much as you want all over the damn place.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.