First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Persona 5 the Animation Discussion
1143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
You're probably right on that. This anime may have 24 episodes but this is a long game. To give the plot the attention it deserves, they are obviously going to have to cut some stuff. Social links are likely going to be seen in scenes of time passing, similar to what the Persona 3 movies did, with perhaps the exception of more major characters, and even then it is likely they will be relegated to the background too.
In the game it's easy enough to have them in because you could clear a palace in only a few days at most in-game time and have loads of time left for the many activities. Social links are very much slice of life stuff in a way which helped fill that void in between main plot events, but the anime will likely be going full speed between them unless it can tie them in with any spare time they get because otherwise it might disrupt the overall flow of the anime itself.
12894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
Overall, this was pretty enjoyable but at least at this early point it does definitely feel like a companion piece to the game as opposed to it's own thing. We'll have to see how they walk that line going forward as I hope it ends up able to stand on it's own legs for those who haven't played the game. The animation was pretty good throughout but there was a definite drop off once they got beyond the heist. It never looked bad but the comparison was fairly stark.

The biggest eyebrow raiser for me so far was Sae's approach in the interrogation.

31439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Massachusetts, Un...
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/7/18
They went so fast even though they have so much time considering this is two cour. It was way too rushed. As someone who played the game I can't even watch this. The first episode was awful. It skipped so much. I know as deep of a game as it might be they have to cut stuff out. But they are just messing up a lot of the story.
21818 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
There is no way they can 100% produce the entirety of the game in 24 episodes. That said I think people need to have some sort of tempered expectations in those regards.

It had the look. It had the feel. It had the music. it had the atmosphere and the setting. It was just the first episode, but so far it looks good. I don't know if I will keep watching though just simply due to knowing the story already and I would actually rather play the game in those regards. We'll see though.

For the first episode, I felt it did a nice job overall.
27455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
I want this to be good because I don't own a PS4 and they wont release the game on Vita or PC. However, I know all too well how studios tend to butcher the hell out of game adapted anime (unless the studio is Kyoto or White Fox).
12146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The outer atmoshe...
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
I know some people are complaining it felt rushed, but I think they went at the best pace they could. Ending with Arsene was an ideal choice if you ask me; any earlier and it would've felt too slow.

I'll agree that Sae and especially Sojiro seemed nicer than the game, but that could just be because I'm used to the English voices, too.

I also liked the touch with the MetaNav.

And in regards to Social Links, I'd like to point out that the Persona 4 anime did include most, if not all, of the Links, at least to a minor degree. So while it's true we may not get to delve into every single one very deeply, I think we'll at least get a scene or two for each.
21818 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
As long as they do Kawakami right, I'll be happy
74091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Seattle
Online
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
Episode 1

Ren sure did get himself into quite a lot of trouble. Having not played any of the Persona games that I decided to give this a curiosity viewing, and while the show is great from a technical standpoint, too much was going on to fully comprehend what's going on for someone completely new to the Persona franchise. That said, it got me interested in playing the games, and seeing how crowded my schedule is getting that this is very low on my priorities.
xxJing 
42276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/7/18

abeltensro wrote:

I want this to be good because I don't own a PS4 and they wont release the game on Vita or PC. However, I know all too well how studios tend to butcher the hell out of game adapted anime (unless the studio is Kyoto or White Fox).


Opinions on the P5 game are conflicting. There are those who do like it, and as far as gameplay and production quality goes it is quite good. However, there are a large portion of Persona fans, myself included, that feel that the story and characters are quite noticeably worse than Persona 4. It will be up left up to your judgment but, I will say this, I think that if the P5 anime is anywhere near as good as the P4 anime, then it's about as good as the P5 game.
27455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18

xxJing wrote:


abeltensro wrote:

I want this to be good because I don't own a PS4 and they wont release the game on Vita or PC. However, I know all too well how studios tend to butcher the hell out of game adapted anime (unless the studio is Kyoto or White Fox).


Opinions on the P5 game are conflicting. There are those who do like it, and as far as gameplay and production quality goes it is quite good. However, there are a large portion of Persona fans, myself included, that feel that the story and characters are quite noticeably worse than Persona 4. It will be up left up to your judgment but, I will say this, I think that if the P5 anime is anywhere near as good as the P4 anime, then it's about as good as the P5 game.


Well if I am being honest, I didn't like the P4 anime too much. Perhaps its because I watched it after I had played through golden twice. I still want to play P5 because even if the story isn't as great as P4, the mechanics are supposed to be more streamlined which is always a good thing for these types of RPGs.
21818 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
I didn't like anything about P4. So much so I waited for friends to tell me I needed to get P5 and convinced me to buy it. Boy glad I did.
xxJing 
42276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18

abeltensro wrote:


xxJing wrote:


abeltensro wrote:

I want this to be good because I don't own a PS4 and they wont release the game on Vita or PC. However, I know all too well how studios tend to butcher the hell out of game adapted anime (unless the studio is Kyoto or White Fox).


Opinions on the P5 game are conflicting. There are those who do like it, and as far as gameplay and production quality goes it is quite good. However, there are a large portion of Persona fans, myself included, that feel that the story and characters are quite noticeably worse than Persona 4. It will be up left up to your judgment but, I will say this, I think that if the P5 anime is anywhere near as good as the P4 anime, then it's about as good as the P5 game.


Well if I am being honest, I didn't like the P4 anime too much. Perhaps its because I watched it after I had played through golden twice. I still want to play P5 because even if the story isn't as great as P4, the mechanics are supposed to be more streamlined which is always a good thing for these types of RPGs.


If you like the dungeon crawling aspect, then p5 does do that well. Also some of the boss fights are really interesting. So that will be right up your ally. As far as the story goes, think of a Durararara that takes itself too seriously.
3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
I am loving the ending song, fits right in with the P5 soundtrack. As for the first episode, I thought it did a great job of adapting the game. There were a few transitions that could have gone better. Like when they were surrounded by the knights, there could have been a quick shot of Ren getting hit by a shield and then waking up. Instead it was just a cross fade like a commercial break should have been there.
Other than that, I think if you haven't played the game but have been interested in the story, the first episode is a good indication that its staying true to the game.
778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / F / Lufkin Texas
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18
I loved it. They didn't add in the opening song. To begin with that's my only thing.
But the only thing that they kept thing that they added was the casino themed or Sae's Shadow World in the beginning of it.
And the Goro Akechi wasn't him at all.
It was a persona actually.
Espiode 1. I am Thou, Thou art 1 it was good actually. The Joker or Ren aka. Akira moves in with Sojiro.
and meeting his school and all.
He found out about the other world and doesn't remember what happened after or during he got caught?
Some how gains his powers of a persona in the unknown world known as a person's heart.
12146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The outer atmoshe...
Offline
Posted 4/7/18 , edited 4/8/18

Yamstarch wrote:

As long as they do Kawakami right, I'll be happy


When I read this, my mind insisted on ignoring the "right," and I began snickering like mad. I need to get my head out of the gutter.


In regards to P4 vs P5, I enjoyed 5 much more in pretty much every regard, including story and characters (I did still enjoy 4, mind you). But then again, I have innate hipster tendencies, so consider my opinion as you will.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.