First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply '' Sorry, due to licensing limitations ...''
6065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/8/18 , edited 4/8/18

TheAncientOne wrote:


Sindoray wrote:

Keep in mind that people that don't watch or subscribe aren't going to better their country's situation with CR. The less viewers there are in your country, the less reason CR has to worry about expending effort to provide content there. Many countries really don't provide enough viewers for CR to try obtaining content unless they can get it for a broad area (with "worldwide outside of Asia" being the most common).


It's really supply and demand. Why would I pay for nothing, just hoping that a company would ever notice me, and think it should provide me with a product?

This is like when you open an empty shop in an area, then complain about the lack of shoppers. With an empty shop, you cannot get shoppers to buy your products. CR is having only the garbage in this shop, and people like you say that we shop buy this garbage, in the hope CR notice us, and someday actually give us a worthy product for our money. It doesn't work like that. If the shop is empty, none will buy anything, and it will close. If you want to make sure your shop isn't going to close, you have to actually provide products/goods to sell. Another thing, ads, if you don't advertise your shop, how will people know about it's existence?

Like I said before, I was a subscriber from november 2014 including this month, but no more. The amount of available anime only got worse, while I'm paying the same. Past 2 seasons I didn't watch a single anime on CR. Always the same BS licensing issue.

I'm not saying CR is having a gun at our head and asking for our money. We are simply complaining about the product we are getting. It's getting worse, while we are paying the same.

If a company want to improve, it will listen to it's customers. We are trying to get the attention of CR, instead of just hopping to a different service provider and leaving CR behind.

The only replies we are currently getting are:
1. "If you don't like it, leave."
2. "None is forcing you to stay."
3. "Something something law." You do know that CR was actually an illegal service provider for anime?
4. "Pay CR to support XYZ." If I want to support a studio/writer, then I will buy the manga/dvd/BluRay. It makes zero sense to give CR money, and receive nothing in return.

If something isn't available in my region due to a license, then it's CR the one who didn't buy a license. If CR cannot get a product to sell, then there is nothing to sell. Empty shops don't attract customers.
59925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 4/8/18 , edited 4/8/18

Sindoray wrote:

It's really supply and demand. Why would I pay for nothing, just hoping that a company would ever notice me, and think it should provide me with a product?

This is like when you open an empty shop in an area, then complain about the lack of shoppers. With an empty shop, you cannot get shoppers to buy your products. CR is having only the garbage in this shop, and people like you say that we shop buy this garbage, in the hope CR notice us, and someday actually give us a worthy product for our money. It doesn't work like that. If the shop is empty, none will buy anything, and it will close. If you want to make sure your shop isn't going to close, you have to actually provide products/goods to sell. Another thing, ads, if you don't advertise your shop, how will people know about it's existence?

Like I said before, I was a subscriber from november 2014 including this month, but no more. The amount of available anime only got worse, while I'm paying the same. Past 2 seasons I didn't watch a single anime on CR. Always the same BS licensing issue.

I'm not saying CR is having a gun at our head and asking for our money. We are simply complaining about the product we are getting. It's getting worse, while we are paying the same.

If a company want to improve, it will listen to it's customers. We are trying to get the attention of CR, instead of just hopping to a different service provider and leaving CR behind.

The only replies we are currently getting are:
1. "If you don't like it, leave."
2. "None is forcing you to stay."
3. "Something something law." You do know that CR was actually an illegal service provider for anime?
4. "Pay CR to support XYZ." If I want to support a studio/writer, then I will buy the manga/dvd/BluRay. It makes zero sense to give CR money, and receive nothing in return.

If something isn't available in my region due to a license, then it's CR the one who didn't buy a license. If CR cannot get a product to sell, then there is nothing to sell. Empty shops don't attract customers.


Where are you located? There might be another company that acquired the exclusive rights in your region, which prevented CR from getting it in your country.
108592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/8/18 , edited 4/8/18

Sindoray wrote:

3. "Something something law." You do know that CR was actually an illegal service provider for anime?

What does that have to do anything in the present? Note the word I bolded.

Are you suggesting that because CR was once breaking copyright law, they should return to doing so? Sorry, but the main reason they quite doing that wasn't because they had a moral epiphany, it was because it wasn't a profitable long term business plan.

But yes, I am aware because I was actually here then. Because of that, I am also aware that CR was starting to do some legal streaming even then (in 2008).


In the end, all the complaining in the world isn't going to change things, because the root causes of the problem are rather intractable without the industry as a whole changing. The primary gist I have of what people want is for CR to pour whatever money it takes into licensing more titles for their country, and have faith that will result in such a groundswell of support that the long term will make up for the losses they would incur in the shorter term. If it were that easy, odds are great that someone in your region would have launched their own streaming service.

6065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18

eyeofpain wrote:


Sindoray wrote:

It's really supply and demand. Why would I pay for nothing, just hoping that a company would ever notice me, and think it should provide me with a product?

This is like when you open an empty shop in an area, then complain about the lack of shoppers. With an empty shop, you cannot get shoppers to buy your products. CR is having only the garbage in this shop, and people like you say that we shop buy this garbage, in the hope CR notice us, and someday actually give us a worthy product for our money. It doesn't work like that. If the shop is empty, none will buy anything, and it will close. If you want to make sure your shop isn't going to close, you have to actually provide products/goods to sell. Another thing, ads, if you don't advertise your shop, how will people know about it's existence?

Like I said before, I was a subscriber from november 2014 including this month, but no more. The amount of available anime only got worse, while I'm paying the same. Past 2 seasons I didn't watch a single anime on CR. Always the same BS licensing issue.

I'm not saying CR is having a gun at our head and asking for our money. We are simply complaining about the product we are getting. It's getting worse, while we are paying the same.

If a company want to improve, it will listen to it's customers. We are trying to get the attention of CR, instead of just hopping to a different service provider and leaving CR behind.

The only replies we are currently getting are:
1. "If you don't like it, leave."
2. "None is forcing you to stay."
3. "Something something law." You do know that CR was actually an illegal service provider for anime?
4. "Pay CR to support XYZ." If I want to support a studio/writer, then I will buy the manga/dvd/BluRay. It makes zero sense to give CR money, and receive nothing in return.

If something isn't available in my region due to a license, then it's CR the one who didn't buy a license. If CR cannot get a product to sell, then there is nothing to sell. Empty shops don't attract customers.


Where are you located? There might be another company that acquired the exclusive rights in your region, which prevented CR from getting it in your country.


I'm from the Netherlands

6065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18

TheAncientOne wrote:


Sindoray wrote:

3. "Something something law." You do know that CR was actually an illegal service provider for anime?

What does that have to do anything in the present? Note the word I bolded.

Are you suggesting that because CR was once breaking copyright law, they should return to doing so? Sorry, but the main reason they quite doing that wasn't because they had a moral epiphany, it was because it wasn't a profitable long term business plan.



I'm not saying that, but people shouldn't toss the word "law" around to justify why people should keep paying CR money, despite having a bad product.

CR was stealing other people's work, and now they are taking the money without providing proper product. When people complain, they are faced with the word "law" straight into their face from people on forum.

Like I said before, it's hard to have a discussion about why some users aren't satisfied, when the forum is filled with white knights that feel they are morally obligated to defend CR.

I'm not asking anyone to break the law. Either give me a product worth my money, or tell me that you cannot get your hand on said product and let me move on. There are others who are selling the same product.
1466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18

Sindoray wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:


Sindoray wrote:

3. "Something something law." You do know that CR was actually an illegal service provider for anime?

What does that have to do anything in the present? Note the word I bolded.

Are you suggesting that because CR was once breaking copyright law, they should return to doing so? Sorry, but the main reason they quite doing that wasn't because they had a moral epiphany, it was because it wasn't a profitable long term business plan.



I'm not saying that, but people shouldn't toss the word "law" around to justify why people should keep paying CR money, despite having a bad product.

CR was stealing other people's work, and now they are taking the money without providing proper product. When people complain, they are faced with the word "law" straight into their face from people on forum.

Like I said before, it's hard to have a discussion about why some users aren't satisfied, when the forum is filled with white knights that feel they are morally obligated to defend CR.

I'm not asking anyone to break the law. Either give me a product worth my money, or tell me that you cannot get your hand on said product and let me move on. There are others who are selling the same product.


Unfortunately, the word law has to be used, cause if CR gets all the anime in all the regions, that's monopoly and other streaming companies can turn around and file for breaking competition law (anti-trust law). CR and the production companies in Japan have to promote and maintain fair competition.

Which leads to 'and now they are taking the money without providing proper product' they are, CR tries to get anime for worldwide excluding Asia, but the Japanese production companies controls, regions, times and dates....... to promote and maintain fair competition
108592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18

Sindoray wrote:

CR was stealing other people's work, and now they are taking the money without providing proper product. When people complain, they are faced with the word "law" straight into their face from people on forum.

"Proper product" is your opinion. CR is providing a product, and you are free to accept what is being offered and pay, or reject it and not.

As to "stealing other peoples work", I find that somewhat laughable when so many people (and the vast majority of people that complain about CR) will quite readily take advantage of services that do the same, if their favorite anime isn't available on CR (often even if it is available on another legal service), all because they feel "justified" in doing so. For that matter, many will do so even if the anime is definitely going to be available to them, but they don't agree with the timetable it will be provided on. For anyone that falls into those categories to raise to spectre of "stealing other peoples work" is unadulterated hypocrisy. So the question is: Are you a hypocrite?

Not liking that "law" is part of the equation doesn't change that it is.

If CR is truly providing inadequate value, and "leaving" so many anime unlicensed for many countries as I've seen some complain, why hasn't competition arisen to take advantage of that?
14327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 4/9/18 , edited 4/9/18
CR started as a sharing platform, where people would submit subs. this was a long time ago, however.
they started as a sharing platform back in 2007-ish, but reset the servers and went full legit starting on January of 2009.
Crunchyroll has been legal for over 9 years now, so the point "CR used to be illegal" is long, long moot.
7 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/12/18 , edited 4/12/18
I also signed up to CR from Europe, just to find out that many shows relevant to me, are licensed by someone who does apparently not care to provide access to that content. Because it's more important, to own a license to content, than to provide access to it.
So yeah, good job done by the anime industry there, to force people in certain regions to pick between "pirating" the content or wait until the local license-holder figures out what to do to maximize profits with the media they licensed...
Sad truth, but looks like if you live in Europe, one has to stick to fansubs and other grey area ways to watch anime, because it's more important to cry about all the pirated content, then to abandon archaic licensing models (or simply stopping to give licenses to institutions that do not cooperate with content distributors in an actionable fashion).

Sorry for Crunchy who is the customer-facing party of that chain of failure and takes the blows for it. But maybe the diminished revenue for the European region will help everyone to finally find a solution. Until then we will sadly be unable to retire our rum bottles and pirate hats, coz we need them if we want to watch our favorite shows like the rest of the world does....
108592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/12/18 , edited 4/12/18

dunkeltaenzer wrote:

I also signed up to CR from Europe, just to find out that many shows relevant to me, are licensed by someone who does apparently not care to provide access to that content. Because it's more important, to own a license to content, than to provide access to it.

What country are you in? In some cases, you might be surprised to find CR actually does have some competition where you are. I've actually come across people that weren't aware of any legal anime service in the US other than CR, and many more that only thought there was CR and Funimation.

47369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 13 days ago , edited 12 days ago
I watched the first two episodes of a show, and then received the "blah blah blah licensing" schpeel when I tried to watch episode 3,
54521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 13 days ago , edited 12 days ago

Ryuichi-momiji wrote:

I watched the first two episodes of a show, and then received the "blah blah blah licensing" schpeel when I tried to watch episode 3,


Curious... Many shows might have free first episodes (higher res, no ads), but since you are in Canada and not a premium member, I would have expected that you couldn't watch the second episode of any given catalog title either...just simulcasts.

/forumtopic-935843/upcoming-changes-to-cr-free-streaming-in-canada

What show was it? Are there only three episodes in total for it?

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.